PDA

View Full Version : Treated Walnut

Kenm
07-08-2012, 9:07 AM
Why should I use treated walnut media over walnut that I purchase at the pet store? What is it treated with?

Thanks for answering a newbie question.

john16443
07-08-2012, 9:45 AM
I presume by treated walnut you mean something along the lines of the Lyman red or green, or some of the others. Basically they are treated with a polish of some sort. I would stay away from the Lyman red as it contains a jewelers rouge type compound that will leave red dust everywhere on your brass. Others seem to do a good job based on forum input.

Stick with the pet store stuff, or even better get some of this: http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

Add a capful of NuFinish car polish to whatever media you choose every second or third load, and you'll be left with reloading jewelry without the dusty mess. Allow it to mix with the media for 10 minutes before adding brass. Toss in a new or used cut up drier sheet or paper towel and that will cut down on the dust even more. That is the lowest cost alternative.

Change the media when cleaning effectiveness decreases (takes longer to clean). When I was using a 50/50 mix of walnut and corn cob, I just changed it evey month. I was using it twice weekly though, so YMMV.

Divernhunter
07-08-2012, 9:48 AM
Polishing. You can use pet store stuff. I suggest you get some tumbler additive and add it to the media. I use the Midway stuff because that is what I have. You can also add it to the treated stuff as it get used more. Good stuff to have on hand. Be sure to cut up Dryer sheets and put 1/4 to a hole one(cut up into 1/4 or smaller size) in with the media. It really cuts down the dust and the residue on the brass. Replace every load of brass. No it will not take the wrinkes out of the brass. But they smell nicer.

Kenm
07-08-2012, 1:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it is treated with a polish of some kind.

Bill Steele
07-08-2012, 3:49 PM
I presume by treated walnut you mean something along the lines of the Lyman red or green, or some of the others. Basically they are treated with a polish of some sort. I would stay away from the Lyman red as it contains a jewelers rouge type compound that will leave red dust everywhere on your brass. Others seem to do a good job based on forum input.

Stick with the pet store stuff, or even better get some of this: http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

Add a capful of NuFinish car polish to whatever media you choose every second or third load, and you'll be left with reloading jewelry without the dusty mess. Allow it to mix with the media for 10 minutes before adding brass. Toss in a new or used cut up drier sheet or paper towel and that will cut down on the dust even more. That is the lowest cost alternative.

Change the media when cleaning effectiveness decreases (takes longer to clean). When I was using a 50/50 mix of walnut and corn cob, I just changed it evey month. I was using it twice weekly though, so YMMV.

Spot on.

Although I let the liquid polish run a little longer, but then I use a little more than a capful too.

Msa357
07-08-2012, 6:21 PM
Try a finer mesh (12/20) it will fit through primer holes and it is cheap found in bulk like ebay, add 1 tsp of red rouge powder and ~ 1/4 cup mineral spirits, and tumble away. just add a little mineral spirits as the media drys out, cont untill the media is nolonger productiave (~ 4k-6k) of cases. The beauty of using mineral spirits is it completly solves the dust issue as well as provides a thin bairier against hand oils. I think I got ~25lbs del with a package of rouge for $25
Tust my 2c.