PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes killed another neighborhood dog!

MustangO4
07-07-2012, 9:53 PM
Just this morning right outside my neighbors back door a coyote took her chihuahua. She went running after it, so the coyote dropped it, but the dog was dead. This is three small dogs that I know of in the last 6 months and countless cats.

This is not a rural community. This is right in the middle of Vista where an easement along the train tracks and a small canyon creates living space for an aggressive local pack. You hear them every night when they catch something.

I left a message with animal control and I know there have been other complaints made.

I'm sure all the commandos will suggest putting on the gillie suite and staking out the area, to shoot them, but as this is the middle of town, if that is your suggestion, thanks, but I'll pass for now.

But, has anyone else experienced this and had any success with different techniques? Poison is a no go because of all the cats and dogs that roam around. Are live traps effective? What the heck do I do if I actually catch one? Can I kill it?

I'm just kind of frustrated and wondering if the "hive" has any clever advice.

180ls1
07-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Call the USDA. They have people that remove problem animals for a living. They are very willing to help and pretty knowledgable about removing problem animals.

MustangO4
07-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks. Will do. I was going through the humane society and fish and game numbers. I'll call USDA Monday.

Shoot-it
07-07-2012, 10:54 PM
for some reason they love killing chihuahua's .A government trapper is your best bet.I have 2 little chi's myself you have to watch out for hawks to I was told.

spectr17
07-07-2012, 11:26 PM
I've seen the coyotes here jump up on a 6 foot block wall and walk it like they were at Mickey D's licking their chops as they decided which lil dog to eat first. Then I see the "Lost Dog" posters at 7-11. You gotta admit it does thin down the chronic yappers that the idjits buy and then toss in the back yard. They even make a "coyote roller" for your yard. It's a long tubular gizmo for the top of your wall that rolls like a drum so when the yote hits it he spins off backwards when he can't get a grip. http://coyoteroller.com/ I haven't heard how it works but I know iffen I was a coyote and you boobytrapped your wall on me and I almost broke my neck getting in I would eat everything you owned and pee on your hunting gear.

bloodhawke83
07-07-2012, 11:28 PM
I call that a win, i hate those stupid little dogs. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kgcabs
07-07-2012, 11:32 PM
I'd like to find a way to live trap a coyote so I could release it in my neighbors back yard and it would eat the yelper that won't shut up.

Shoot-it
07-08-2012, 12:02 AM
I'd like to find a way to live trap a coyote so I could release it in my neighbors back yard and it would eat the yelper that won't shut up.
you made me laugh on that one lol .Mine are kept in the house and do not yap unless they hear someone coming into the house .I have a neighbor that has a mix medium size dog that barks non stop at times. I have to go out and yell at it to shut it up sometimes.

NokSuCow
07-08-2012, 1:11 AM
Can you even shoot it if you wanted to?

bob7122
07-08-2012, 1:19 AM
air rifle that is silenced...

that is THE ONLY WAY!!!! other than this>>>http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRp3yu6ry-tSMEnu5SBUkfijgaEZ6US6_LZsPWVF7jzldh5S3B0Q

KWalkerM
07-08-2012, 1:34 AM
air rifle that is silenced...

that is THE ONLY WAY!!!! other than this>>>http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRp3yu6ry-tSMEnu5SBUkfijgaEZ6US6_LZsPWVF7jzldh5S3B0Q

http://www.sgammo.com/product/aguila/500rds-22lr-super-colibri-powderless-low-noise-20gr-bullet

These are quieter, ghillie up and bait plus pred call. Hypothetically i would do this to rats in my neighborhood on my back fence. A little PB and sheet metal to stop the bullet from hitting the house across from us.

Fjold
07-08-2012, 6:54 AM
Chihuahua is Spanish for coyote bait.

RandyD
07-08-2012, 6:59 AM
The coyotes are in your neighborhood because they like the conditions. Base on your description they have a place away from people to make a den and an available food supply (neighborhood cats and dogs). If you remove or eliminate these coyotes, others will eventually take their place.

rooster85
07-08-2012, 7:12 AM
Coyotes hate dogs, especially small dogs. You're best bet is to either start trapping them yourself of to get a trapper in there to trap. Live traps work well then you can relocate them if that's your thing or you can just kill them in the trap. Best of luck.

taperxz
07-08-2012, 7:58 AM
This thread is pretty funny. Its not hard to keep coyotes out. A good fence works fine and in most cases coyotes don't jump over fences they go under. Fix your fence or keep your dog in a more secured area.

jaymz
07-08-2012, 8:26 AM
But, has anyone else experienced this and had any success with different techniques? Poison is a no go because of all the cats and dogs that roam around. Are live traps effective? What the heck do I do if I actually catch one? Can I kill it?

This is part of the problem. Stupid people "feeding" yotes by letting their pets run free. If they are strays, call animal control and get rid of them. The coyotes will move along once the food source is gone.

lewdogg21
07-08-2012, 8:36 AM
This thread is pretty funny. Its not hard to keep coyotes out. A good fence works fine and in most cases coyotes don't jump over fences they go under. Fix your fence or keep your dog in a more secured area.

Damn rural rednecks have all the answers...:D

MustangO4
07-08-2012, 8:36 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Yes, I find the little dogs annoying too, that's why I have big dogs, but as a dog lover I can certainly feel horribly for the little old widdowed lady t lost her only buddy she had left.

You are dead right on the pets that wander. People are asking for it. This dog had just snuck out of her yard and was gone for less than five minutes when she went looking for him. The yotes must have had him identified and were waiting for him to wander out.

No telling on the rest. Have to see what the USDA says.

devil83dog@hotmail.com
07-08-2012, 8:42 AM
Get bigger dogs.........pit bulls will take care of the yote problem

IVC
07-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Get bigger dogs.........pit bulls will take care of the yote problem

And chihuahuas at the same time... Win-win. :)

spectr17
07-08-2012, 11:03 AM
I asked my buddy who does depredation why the shift from cats to lil dogs by the coyotes years back. He said they ran outta cats. lol. Aint seen a stray cat around here in years.

rooster85
07-08-2012, 2:27 PM

I'm sure that happens sometimes but not all the time. If you have a solid fence that they can't crawl under then they'd have to go over. Last monday my neighbors little dog was attacked in the back yard and the yotes had to go over to get in and over to get out. Determination of the animal plays a role in how they enter a place, not what you've always been told.

tpuig
07-08-2012, 3:02 PM
I used to live in Solana Beach and Escondido in the late 80's. Coyotes were snatching pets even back then...

taperxz
07-08-2012, 4:09 PM
I'm sure that happens sometimes but not all the time. If you have a solid fence that they can't crawl under then they'd have to go over. Last monday my neighbors little dog was attacked in the back yard and the yotes had to go over to get in and over to get out. Determination of the animal plays a role in how they enter a place, not what you've always been told.

Maybe where you are but the 5 ft. field fence and the one strand barbed wire have kept them out of my sheep. UNLESS they dig under it.

rooster85
07-08-2012, 6:34 PM
Maybe where you are but the 5 ft. field fence and the one strand barbed wire have kept them out of my sheep. UNLESS they dig under it.

My neighbor's got a solid 5 ft fence and has had them jump it before. I have yet to hear of livestock out here being killed by yotes who dug under a fence. But, maybe your Valley yotes are much more different. We didn't even have that problem when I lived 30 min away from your spread.

spectr17
07-08-2012, 7:00 PM
I just gotta ask, what purpose does a chihuahua serve besides selling tacos on TV? Every time I see them they are barking themselves silly, shaking like a hound passing a peach pit, looking to be having a heart attack. My uncle had 2 and they were useless as teets on a boar, just non stop barking machines. The neighbor across the street has several and what a racket they make, how do people live with them annoying things? No wonder the coyotes snack on them, where can I donate to the coyote chihuahua sammich club?

taperxz
07-08-2012, 8:11 PM
My neighbor's got a solid 5 ft fence and has had them jump it before. I have yet to hear of livestock out here being killed by yotes who dug under a fence. But, maybe your Valley yotes are much more different. We didn't even have that problem when I lived 30 min away from your spread.

Ya right, the next time you see sheep in a field tell me how high the fence is. If sheep ranchers wanted to save their sheep from coyotes they would put up 8 ft fencing. But, they don't do they. Coyotes dig under the fence to squeeze through. You can ask the ranchers out in the other valley who have been ranching out by my place since the 1850's. Or, you can just ask "E";) He is the one who makes sure they don't get to mine.

bodger
07-08-2012, 9:15 PM
Chihuahua is Spanish for coyote bait.

Actually, I think they are Dr. Mengele's last experiment. He crossed a rat with a piranha and came up with the Chihuahua.

D Harry
07-09-2012, 4:33 AM
I'm sorry, but this thread is cracking me up... LOL
Could I have the address.. I have a couple of cats to drop off.
A coyote will spend hours digging under or through a fence to get a meal... they will keep at it until they get the meal.

I'd get one of those High Power PCP airguns:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Sam_Yang_Recluse_Air_Rifle/2501

So it would be legal because it's not a firearm, but these things have a report that's as loud. Might need a silencer or your PETA
neighbors will get upset.

I wouldn't try to catch a coyote, best to shoot it. I don't think you need a hunting license to kill a predator on your property.
Then call animal control and tell them there is a dead coyote in the street, come and get it.
Might depend on if you are within county or city limits.

MJB
07-09-2012, 5:16 AM
Find the den and your in control..... a good pack of dogs will get them moving!

My dogs hate yotes! My youngest dog likes to chew on their noses.

Good luck!

kayaker
07-09-2012, 5:33 AM
IMHO if I coyote can eat your dog then you need a bigger dog.

TROYSD
07-09-2012, 1:50 PM
for some reason they love killing chihuahua's .A government trapper is your best bet.I have 2 little chi's myself you have to watch out for hawks to I was told.

true my friends fox terrier puppy got carried of by an owl

5shot
07-09-2012, 2:12 PM
This one came over the fence to harass the dog. .22 cal pellet thru the lungs stopped him.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc257/emailbishop/carypelletguncoyote.jpg

Shoot-it
07-09-2012, 10:59 PM
I just gotta ask, what purpose does a chihuahua serve besides selling tacos on TV? Every time I see them they are barking themselves silly, shaking like a hound passing a peach pit, looking to be having a heart attack. My uncle had 2 and they were useless as teets on a boar, just non stop barking machines. The neighbor across the street has several and what a racket they make, how do people live with them annoying things? No wonder the coyotes snack on them, where can I donate to the coyote chihuahua sammich club?

It's the owners fault they allow them to bark .They are great lap dogs for the house and mine will kill gophers.:D

duckman1
07-10-2012, 6:18 AM
It's the owners fault they allow them to bark .They are great lap dogs for the house and mine will kill gophers.:D

Not in a fair fight!:D

stalker
07-10-2012, 9:56 PM
these are nice and quite. You'll need some practice though

http://www.hoyt.com/compound_bows/

spectr17
07-10-2012, 11:39 PM
It's the owners fault they allow them to bark .

True, and most of them idjit owner's deny their dog even barks. Nobody's dogs bark and annoy the neighbors, just ask them. :D I don't think I've ever heard of a yappy dog owner who said, "Yeah I know, I'll take care of it." That's why now you can file a complaint with A/C in most citiies and they have the horsepower to take steps to shut the dog up. We had a goofy lady next to us years ago that denied, denied, denied. 5 statements from neighbors to A/C against her didn't faze her. Several hefty fines later from a judge and she finally saw the light. Either that or she couldn't afford her goofy pills anymore.

Emdawg
07-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Actually, I think they are Dr. Mengele's last experiment. He crossed a rat with a piranha and came up with the Chihuahua.

Oooo... ouch. Anyway the ancient mesoamericans originally bred them for food. When they ran out of maize they ate the dogs.:ack2:

sharxbyte
07-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Just this morning right outside my neighbors back door a coyote took her chihuahua. She went running after it, so the coyote dropped it, but the dog was dead. This is three small dogs that I know of in the last 6 months and countless cats.

This is not a rural community. This is right in the middle of Vista where an easement along the train tracks and a small canyon creates living space for an aggressive local pack. You hear them every night when they catch something.

I left a message with animal control and I know there have been other complaints made.

I'm sure all the commandos will suggest putting on the gillie suite and staking out the area, to shoot them, but as this is the middle of town, if that is your suggestion, thanks, but I'll pass for now.

Chihuahuas are rodents anyway... Sorry for the owner though... Poison out of the question? Only irresponsible pet owners let their pets roam. Traps are dangerous for small children (more so than accidentally leaving out a few bowls of antifreeze) If you set a trap it will likely kill dogs too... Air rifle or bow are your best bets. shoot, shovel, shut up.

HokeySon
07-11-2012, 8:28 AM

daughter has 1/2 chihuahua / 1.2 dachshund -- "cus its cute." But the thing has a heart of a lion. Used to have a roof rat problem -- and the neighborhood still does -- but no more. She gets after rats on command when I see one before she does. Plus, she is the first of my three dogs to alert to someone approaching the house. must be the dachshund in her. Oh ... and she is pretty cute!

dominic
07-14-2012, 4:00 AM
So did you ever call the USDA? I was wondering what they would have to do with dogs getting killed in a neighborhood anyway. Aren't they the US Department of Agriculture? I mean we have them out here checking cattle yards and feedlots for everything from veterinary records, cattle diseases, food safety records, humane treatment inspections, feed analysis, and even proper manure pit practices, but what does the USDA have to do with someones dog getting killed by coyotes?

Czechsix
07-20-2012, 8:49 PM
song dogs have always been in Vista, and will always be. Too open, too many avenues. Keep the rat dogs inside, same with cats. I've got to say though, no problems with feral cats here though hehe.

It's also the time when the young yotes are moving around more...until they get knocked off, there'll be more predation. If you do decide to use an air gun, know that you don't want to be caught doing it...metallic projectile in city limits is a big no-no.

I have a pack that moves through my property, over the road, and out to sunset. Probably come from Shadowridge area. Been a runway for them for years, my dogs ignore them now.

Socal858
07-20-2012, 10:39 PM
my boss lives somewhere up near you and always has close calls with those bastard coyotes coming to work in the morning.

i have a bunch of subsonic 22's and always wondered how they'd sound coming out of my 26" bbl bolt action 22.

Czechsix
07-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Close calls? Like what kind of close calls?

Bobby Hated
07-20-2012, 11:27 PM
the only good yote is a dead yote!

kill them by any means necessary (within the law of course).

my family has lost so many pets to those SOB's, im about ready to invest in a crossbow and some NV.