PDA

View Full Version : Anyone resize before tumbling?

Quinc
07-07-2012, 6:22 PM
Trying to shave more time off my .223 prep process and am looking for any cons to deprimming and re-sizing prior to wet tumbling with SS?

joelogic
07-07-2012, 6:36 PM
Sizing dirty brass can scratch your dies. They at least need to be cleaned first.

chris
07-07-2012, 6:44 PM
i tumble my brass first. seems to work better. i don't reload .223 though.

adrenalinejunkie
07-07-2012, 6:50 PM
Sizing dirty brass can scratch your dies. They at least need to be cleaned first.

This. Not removing the dirt and debris first can mess with your dies. Better safe than sorry I always say. Also, I tumble my finished rounds to remove the lube vs tumbling only the cases after they've been rezised. It's safe and just my personal preference.

thomashoward
07-07-2012, 7:00 PM
This. Not removing the dirt and debris first can mess with your dies. Better safe than sorry I always say. Also, I tumble my finished rounds to remove the lube vs tumbling only the cases after they've been rezised. It's safe and just my personal preference.

If the brass is halfway clean, I size before to get the primer pockets cleaned with the pins.

adrenalinejunkie
07-07-2012, 7:17 PM
If the brass is halfway clean, I size before to get the primer pockets cleaned with the pins.

Hm good point. My brass is usually pretty dirty haha I don't chance it. I usually don't worry about the flash holes honestly. Haven't seen lack on performance yet

ejhc11
07-07-2012, 11:11 PM
My brass is always dirty - rather have them tumbled clean then resize. After resizing w/lube then trim if needed then another tumble to remove lube.

Its a lengthy process but that's the process. It gets me 1/2 moa so I'm not gonna complain.

CGT80
07-09-2012, 12:25 AM
You could use a universal decaping die to remove primers and then tumble in stainless to clean the pockets. The universal die doesn't touch the outside of the case.

I tumble in corn cob, lube, size and deprime, tumble, trim, swage, then run the universal decapper to get any corn cob that may be stuck in the flash hole, prime, etc.

Any way you do it, it takes a bit of time.

AlliedArmory
07-10-2012, 9:33 PM

This

DanD
07-11-2012, 2:25 PM
Most of my rifle and the wheel gun rounds stay very clean compared to the semi-autos, so that brass tends to get re-sized, then tumbled. All the semi auto stuff gets tumbled, re-sized then re-tumbled.

csburtch
07-12-2012, 9:56 AM
I was thinking of doing that, however, I found that its just better to decap with a lee universal decapping die, then clean with the wet ss media, somewhat dry (mostly), lube and resize. In order to save a lot of time, I bought a Wilson chamber checking tool. This I use to check resizing and case length. If it sticks out the end, it gets trimmed, if not its good to go. After trimming my batch, they all go back in the ss media to remove the lube and brass from trimming. Once done they are beautiful and ready to load. Just my process, but the finished product looks brand new.

LexLuther
07-12-2012, 10:26 PM
I use the SS method. I clean using the SS, then lube and load on my 650, the remove the lube with corncob. Wet method twice is way too much work, and the uber clean primer pocket is irrelevant at .223 ranges. I only check case length / trim after 2 or 3 loadings.

Ken Woodford
07-13-2012, 8:34 AM
I tumble first. I also decap and reprime in a seperate step too and to make sure nothing is in the flash hole. I know it takes longer but I am retired...what else am I gonna do

Whiterabbit
07-13-2012, 10:59 AM
I own a universal decap die. They are cheap.

lpspinner
07-13-2012, 11:01 AM
I own a universal decap die. They are cheap.

+2 as I have 2. :)

gunprofit
07-15-2012, 5:47 PM
Quinc, are you loading for a Semi-Auto, or a Bolt Gun? When I load for my bolt guns, I tumble my brass first, then I neck size only using Redding dies and their Titanium Nitride sizer bushing that does not require lube. The added benefit is that no powder sticks to the inside case neck when dropped (if you accidently over lube) and then seat my bullet. However, if I am loading for a semi-auto, I tumble first, lube, full length size, drop powder, seat bullet, and final tumble to get the lube off. On a rare occassion, if I have a semi-auto that has a super tight chamber, I use a "small base" sizer die to assure a problem free chamber feed.