PDA

View Full Version : Over all lenght question:

Dan FS71
07-07-2012, 2:51 PM
A rifle with a 16.25" barrel and folding stock. In this configuration it is clearly less than the legal lenght.

So you add a muzzle device long enough to overcome the lenght issue.

Question: Does the muzzle device have to be perminently attached per ATF regs or can it be removeable???

Looking at the flow chart the following statement gives me pause: "can the rifle be fired in it's shortest configuration" ie. Muzzle device removed or am I glossing over the caveat?

It would seem that since they want barrels <16 to have perm. attached md's to make lenght
And perm converted 10 rounders
That the same would hold true if using a muzzle device to make overall lenght.

Thanks for any clearification

EBR Works
07-07-2012, 8:06 PM
To achieve the required 30" OAL to meet California guidelines the parts do not have to be permanent. The requirement for a permanently attached muzzle device is only to attain the Federal minimum of 16" for a rifle barrel.

phrogg111
07-07-2012, 8:15 PM
To achieve the required 30" OAL to meet California guidelines the parts do not have to be permanent. The requirement for a permanently attached muzzle device is only to attain the Federal minimum 16" barrel requirement.

Don't forget that a semiautomatic centerfire rifle also has to be 30 inches or over in overall length.

I don't know if it has to be a permanent modification, but I would imagine that it probably does, as CA law says that the gun must be over 30" overall if it is a semiautomatic, centerfire rifle.

EBR Works
07-07-2012, 9:22 PM
As I said, the parts to attain 30" OAL do not need to be permanent.

Sgt Raven
07-07-2012, 9:34 PM
As I said, the parts to attain 30" OAL do not need to be permanent.

Yep, the only place it needs to be permanent is to make the barrel 16" for a rifle or 18" for a shotgun.