PDA

View Full Version : Do grip extenders make our high cap magazines illegal?

babe
07-07-2012, 12:24 PM
My husband has magazines from an old Glock G19 that he used to own 15+ years ago. Last year, we purchased a small glock G26 that I was more comfortable with. My husband installed A&G grip extenders on his old magazines so that we could use those 15 round magazines in our G26 which only comes with 10 round magazines.

OK, so we think we are totally legal up to this point....but we went to the range right before the 4th of July, and the range master came out and told us we can get in trouble for those magazines since they have been modified from the condition they were originally sold in to fit another firearm. He told us that if officers had been shooting (they use our range for practice often) we could have gotten in a lot of trouble.

Was he right?

ClarenceBoddicker
07-07-2012, 12:45 PM
If you can load more than 10 rounds after putting on the extenders, then you have illegally manufactured a high capacity magazine. You can use an extender if you block the mag to only hold 10 rounds. A pre 2000 ban high cap can have an extender like a +1 or +2 legally added to it.

You can legally use any lawful mag in a lawful gun.

G60
07-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Range officer is wrong. You can use your legally owned standard capacity magazines in your new gun.

Merovign
07-07-2012, 12:49 PM
I Am Not A Lawyer.

But that's stretching "modified to fit another firearm" to the point where it applies to asparagus.

If the magazines are pre-ban they're legal (if they were owned in California). If the gun is legal, using the magazines in the gun is legal.

So if the magazines were legally purchased and owned in California before 2000, and he didn't move out of state and back in after 2000, there's nothing wrong with them.

A 10-round G19 magazine would not accept a capacity extension, and I assume from your description you're talking about the "finger grip" extension that makes them more comfortable to use, but don't change the capacity of the magazine. You could use the magazines without the grip extender.

Congratulations! You've just had an encounter with Gun Range FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt).

Check out the CGF Wiki link in the bar above under the ads for extensive information.

G60
07-07-2012, 12:52 PM
I believe she is talking about a product like the x grip magazine sleeve. It slips over something like a glock 17/19 magazine to fill the gap when using it with a g26. It does not add capacity.

GOEX FFF
07-07-2012, 12:55 PM
If you can load more than 10 rounds after putting on the extenders, then you have illegally manufactured a high capacity magazine. You can use an extender if you block the mag to only hold 10 rounds. A pre 2000 ban high cap can have an extender like a +1 or +2 legally added to it.

You can legally use any lawful mag in a lawful gun.

She's not talking about any magazine capacity extender.
The A&G is a grip extender. They have nothing to do with magazine capacity itself.
They are made to make the grip more comfortable (and more aesthetically pleasing) when using longer magazines in sub-compact pistols.

http://glockstore.com/images/magick_cache/pgroup_6759_image_260_shadow.jpg

Vs. this -

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHIGRpnqXV-XAmePmtwn_2RC_n69kjc7FfCRvQ06VmF0gP7vOKJzuqQG56

Also, the "modified to fit another firearm" doesn't even come in to play here, if the magazines still operate in the firearm they were originally intended for. Which in this case they would, since no modification whatsoever is being done to the original magazine. The Range "Master" is blowing hot air.

Connor P Price
07-07-2012, 2:15 PM
Misinformed rangemaster strikes again! Nothing wrong with using the grip sleeves.

NotEnufGarage
07-07-2012, 2:29 PM
G17/G19 mags fit in a G26, so no harm, no foul.

Range master is spreading FUD. I've run into the same thing with my G26 using G17 mags. Told the rangemaster he was wrong, explained the relevant laws, asked him not to bother me (like a boss) and left it at that.

BKinzey
07-07-2012, 2:45 PM
My first thought is it's OK.

Then again it may depend on the definition of "modified".

As I understand the law you are allowed to modify mags as long as they will still work in the original firearm. Once you put that collar on it will no longer work in the original firearm unless you remove the collar correct?

So, is that a modification which prevents the mag from working in the original firearm or not?

Got this from the CGF Wiki:

The general rules regarding magazine repair appear to be that as long as one ends up with the same number of legally possessed large-capacity magazines, has a plausible path of replacement parts from the original possessed large-capacity magazine to the repaired magazine, and the magazine continues to work in the firearm it was originally designed to operate in, one would not be violating the law.

There are no restrictions on modifying a legally possessed large-capacity magazine to work in another firearm as long as the magazine continues to operate in the firearm it was originally designed for. This concept, however, has not been tested - 'appear to be' is all we have.

babe
07-07-2012, 5:00 PM
I believe she is talking about a product like the x grip magazine sleeve. It slips over something like a glock 17/19 magazine to fill the gap when using it with a g26. It does not add capacity.

G17/G19 mags fit in a G26, so no harm, no foul.

Range master is spreading FUD. I've run into the same thing with my G26 using G17 mags. Told the rangemaster he was wrong, explained the relevant laws, asked him not to bother me (like a boss) and left it at that.

yes...I'm sorry I might have been using the wrong description...it is just that plastic that allows you to wrap your pinky on the magazine as part of the grip.

Wow, NotEnufGarage, I wish we had been as bold as you! We spent something like $35 on our range fees and he got us so scared, basically suggested that we leave and not come back until we were 'legal' that we just ended our day of shooting :(

So adding the extra grip is not modification? So what would 'modification to fit another firearm' be?

babe
07-07-2012, 5:01 PM
My first thought is it's OK.

Then again it may depend on the definition of "modified".

As I understand the law you are allowed to modify mags as long as they will still work in the original firearm. Once you put that collar on it will no longer work in the original firearm unless you remove the collar correct?

So, is that a modification which prevents the mag from working in the original firearm or not?

Got this from the CGF Wiki:

that's what we thought too!! Could a police officer say that with the grip extension, it would no longer fit the original firearm, a G19?

Librarian
07-07-2012, 5:50 PM
that's what we thought too!! Could a police officer say that with the grip extension, it would no longer fit the original firearm, a G19?

Not rationally. The modifications recognized for making large-capacity mags into 10-rounders must be 'permanent' (with lots of confusion on what 'permanent' may mean); since the sleeves slip right off, I'd argue back that they still fit and work just fine.

unusedusername
07-07-2012, 6:11 PM
I'm perfectly confortable using X-grip type adapters so that I don't pinch myself when using my pre-2000 p226 mags in my p229.

The adapters don't really even attach to the magazines they just slip on. Just don't glue them on and nobody could rationally argue that you modified them to fit another gun.

babe
07-07-2012, 7:37 PM
yeah, but it sucks when you've got a range master that doesn't like hearing more than 10 'bangs' at a time and will come put his 2 cents in whenever he does to find something he thinks is illegal in all his wisdom :(

Scarecrow Repair
07-08-2012, 1:01 PM
So if the magazines were legally purchased and owned in California before 2000, and he didn't move out of state and back in after 2000, there's nothing wrong with them.

I believe that moving out and back part is irrelevant. If they were owned in California any time before the ban, then they can be brought right back in any time.

babe
07-09-2012, 3:01 PM
I believe that moving out and back part is irrelevant. If they were owned in California any time before the ban, then they can be brought right back in any time.

I'm not sure if that's true? Wouldn't that still be 'importing'? Does it matter that the magazines, or you, were here before?

ke6guj
07-09-2012, 3:52 PM
I'm not sure if that's true? Wouldn't that still be 'importing'? Does it matter that the magazines, or you, were here before?

as long as you possessed the magazines in the state of CA before 2000, even if you were an out-of-state resident who went to the Great Western Show and bought them to take back home, it would be legal for you to bring them back into CA at any time.

.32420. Section 32310 does not apply to the importation of a
large-capacity magazine by a person who lawfully possessed the
large-capacity magazine in the state prior to January 1, 2000,
lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning to the state with
the same large-capacity magazine.