View Full Version : American Security safe decision

07-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Hey all,

I'm looking at the AMSEC 6036

They have a TF Series and a SF Series

TF is 30 minutes
SF is 60 minutes

Is this worth the extra $700, in a residential home, for the extra burn time?
How long is the average burn of a tract home (not talking san bruno)

07-07-2012, 5:35 PM
I went with another brand - Sturdy safe. The owner there states that if you live in an area with a good response for the fire department, maybe it's a good idea to save the money. I spent the money on the insulation.

I figure plan for the worst. Not only how long does it take for the fire department to respond but how long does it take to put out the fire. Also, maybe you move to some ranch out int the country - no quick fire department response.

07-07-2012, 5:43 PM
step it up to the BF

07-07-2012, 6:24 PM
I picked up the BF6636 and absolutely love it. Once I received it, the first thing I did was inspect it. They make amazing safes. Attention to detail to the fullest in my opinion. I feel real comfortable having my stuff stored in it.

07-07-2012, 8:38 PM
There are more differences than just the fire rating - specifically: thicker door, bigger bolts, and adjustable hinges on the SF.

That said, it's a box that keeps amateurs out so I wouldn't sweat a few differences.

07-12-2012, 10:00 AM
So I went with the TF, and I am very pleased with it.

I was also very impressed with Dom's in Livermore. They delivered and installed the very next day. Bolted it down and it is very stout.

My only gripe is that the area to patch a power cord into the safe isn't large enough for a standard electrical connector. We had to cut the end off to pass it into the safe. So I've got to splice the end back on inside of the safe.

The door liner has a bunch of pockets some more usable then others, and the Velcro strips aren't that well though out, would have rather had Molle.

All in all I'm very pleased with the safe, and am looking forward to filling it.

07-12-2012, 8:35 PM
I work on safes. if you have the money go BF. The others u mentioned are made in china, and as far as i am concearned are not worth the money. If you want to go cheaper than bf, i would suggest a bighorn safe from rhino metals, or costco. For the money they are great and build wise they will give the amsecs you are considering a run for their money. as i just noticed you bought one, congrats and fill it up