PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my first 1911 today, brought it home, and took it apart.

blockfort
07-06-2012, 8:51 PM
I picked up a Springfield Loaded 1911 (black, night sights, .45), brought it home, and stripped it completely down; I took apart everything but the sights. Then I put it all back together again, correctly, tested all the safeties, and marveled in its wonderful mechanical glory.

I did the same thing with my XD9.

Does everyone do this?

ENVYGREEN
07-06-2012, 9:20 PM
I'm super weird, I shoot em

blockfort
07-06-2012, 9:27 PM
I can't shoot it until I bring it to the range on Sunday.

91 whiskey 209
07-06-2012, 9:30 PM
Let me know what you think after you shoot it. The SA loaded is one of my two 1911 finalists. Thanks

blockfort
07-06-2012, 9:44 PM
Even without shooting it, it feels incredible, especially the trigger on my copy. Two or three guys at the shop said I got a lucky one.

MrExel17
07-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Can relate to your post OP, congrats!

jimster716
07-07-2012, 12:28 AM
I'm super weird, I shoot em

:smilielol5:

jeffrice6
07-07-2012, 12:40 AM
John Browning was a hell of a man!

Plisk
07-07-2012, 1:19 AM
Don't make it a habit of performing a detail disassembly of your weapon, do a simple field stip after shooting it. Only do the full detail stip after quite a bit of shooting (5000+ rounds, or until the weapon need it to function). Constantly disassembling the weapon in such a way will eventually cause the parts tolerance to loosen.

tm_jones123
07-07-2012, 2:06 AM
Don't make it a habit of performing a detail disassembly of your weapon, do a simple field stip after shooting it. Only do the full detail stip after quite a bit of shooting (5000+ rounds, or until the weapon need it to function). Constantly disassembling the weapon in such a way will eventually cause the parts tolerance to loosen.

Where do you get that?

jeffrice6
07-07-2012, 2:21 AM

Never heard of this. I have always detail stripped my 1911's (as well as all my firearms) after every outing & they are running strong. Not talkin poop, but where does frame of thought come from?

Plisk
07-07-2012, 2:46 AM
That is what I've learned from hands on experience. I've seen certain parts on pistols begin to loosen up much sooner then it would from just being shot by being taken completely apart during a routine cleaning. Examples would be 1911 grip bushings backing out or in a few cases cross pins in Glocks drifting out during shooting. Another instances was with a Springfield EMP 9mm, their extractor is tensioned very very tight to bring the claw in far enough to reach the skinner 9mm round, from it being removed repeatedly loosened it to the point where feeding and extracting problem were severe.

Granted this doesn't apply to every part on every gun, but I've seen enough problems with certain circumstances with that practice to give some warning. I'm white glove with my cleanings as well, and my pistols usually get a full detail strip clean every 700-1000 rounds. So I am a little guilty of this too.

den888
07-07-2012, 6:28 AM
I usually shoot mine first!

Fishslayer
07-07-2012, 9:54 AM
Field strip, clean & lube. Going farther than that when unneccesary is..well... unneccesary. ;)

blockfort
07-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Going further than that is a joy and necessary for my personal happiness. I could not help myself when I got it home.

I have been taking things apart since I was a kid. After getting a degree in mechanical engineering, I can put them back together too.

ojisan
07-07-2012, 10:34 AM
^
:yes:

I have bought some guns just to take them apart to see how they worked.

dc2integra
07-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Pics?

blockfort
07-07-2012, 2:04 PM
This is a used gun when I bought it, so all markings are from the previous owner. I'm just glad I didn't add any new ones.

http://i50.tinypic.com/33xkkgk.jpg

Mr.1904
07-07-2012, 2:06 PM
Never heard of this. I have always detail stripped my 1911's (as well as all my firearms) after every outing & they are running strong. Not talkin poop, but where does frame of thought come from?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mr.1904
07-07-2012, 2:07 PM
This is a used gun when I bought it, so all markings are from the previous owner. I'm just glad I didn't add any new ones.

http://i50.tinypic.com/33xkkgk.jpg

Gives it character.

dc2integra
07-07-2012, 2:09 PM
Very nice Springfield .

blockfort
07-07-2012, 2:21 PM
Thanks, yes, I kind of like the wear and tear. It's like when you buy a pair of sneakers and you keep them perfect as long as you can, but after that first mark or stain, you can relax and enjoy them. My gun is already in "enjoy mode".

sneather
07-07-2012, 3:21 PM
Going further than that is a joy and necessary for my personal happiness. I could not help myself when I got it home.

I have been taking things apart since I was a kid. After getting a degree in mechanical engineering, I can put them back together too.

I couldn't agree more. I do this to every gun I own, without exception.
Not only is it totally gratifying, but you learn about every working aspect of the weapon, and can troubleshoot issues or perform your own performance work (trigger jobs etc.). To me, diving into and having a comprehensive knowledge of every spring, pin and piece of a gun is almost as enjoyable as shooting.

To each their own.

Plisk
07-07-2012, 4:06 PM

I couldn't agree more. I do this to every gun I own, without exception.
Not only is it totally gratifying, but you learn about every working aspect of the weapon, and can troubleshoot issues or perform your own performance work (trigger jobs etc.). To me, diving into and having a comprehensive knowledge of every spring, pin and piece of a gun is almost as enjoyable as shooting.

To each their own.

I may be misunderstanding your responses, but I get the sense that you took my post to meaning that you should NEVER detail strip your weapons. If that's the case that was not the intent of my post. I tried to give some warning that is it not recommended to detail strip for every single cleaning.

First time I bring a new or used weapon home, it gets detail stripped and deep cleaned and once more after shooting it so I can see how the weapon fares after firing. Past that I typically do a field strip clean until I feel I need to detail strip.

Chief-7700
07-07-2012, 4:06 PM

BS...Using the logic above guess shooting a 1911 does the same thing.

Wombats Are Dangerous
07-07-2012, 4:21 PM

I'm the same way, OP. When I break guns out of jail, I take them home and marvel at design while I field strip, clean and oil them.

whatpain
07-07-2012, 4:23 PM
im the same way. cant really shoot em anyway the only range up here really is only open on saturdays anyway. congrats on the new gun. let us know how she shoots

Plisk
07-07-2012, 4:25 PM
BS...Using the logic above guess shooting a 1911 does the same thing.

Of course using and firing a weapon will loosen tolerances, CERTAIN tolerances. Some will also loosen up from disassembly.

Wombats Are Dangerous
07-07-2012, 4:25 PM
Also, OP, nice choice in a 1911. After doing extensive buying research myself, I think the Loaded is the best value in a production 1911, particularly if you get one that had the Loaded upgrades hand-fitted in the U.S.

blockfort
07-07-2012, 6:08 PM
Yeah, mine has an NM serial, so I think that means it's US assembled, right?

Chief-7700
07-07-2012, 6:32 PM
You are correct.

lrj812
07-08-2012, 6:46 AM

My son has been taking things apart since he could hold a screwdriver. I have a few things still in pieces. Bottom line, he is finishing his ME degree. Your comment above leaves me hope he will put those things together when he gets his degree.

Sorry to go off topic, but it struck me funny how you ME's are. Glad guys like you and my son are like that. That's how things like guns get invented.

bombadillo
07-08-2012, 6:50 AM
You should sell me that outdated 100 year old piece of junk and I'll give you a brand spanking new Glock. I hear they go through metal detectors without even a beep because they are made of ceramic....... :D

Plisk
07-08-2012, 11:09 AM
You should sell me that outdated 100 year old piece of junk and I'll give you a brand spanking new Glock. I hear they go through metal detectors without even a beep because they are made of ceramic....... :D

That's only the Model 7.

xMAC1x
07-08-2012, 1:07 PM
Not me shoot first.
I like your 1911 ware marks.