PDA

View Full Version : Why is the StopSB249 site down?

Farrier-1
07-06-2012, 8:07 PM
Was it hacked?

hornswaggled
07-06-2012, 8:09 PM
Denial of Service attack apparently. I was just about to send a letter too.

Bolillo
07-06-2012, 8:14 PM
Your Answer is Here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=8884413&postcount=1374)

IBTL

Rock6.3
07-07-2012, 7:12 AM
DDOS Attack.
Site has been moved.
Wait for the DNS to propagate then all will be well.

Demonicspire
07-07-2012, 7:13 AM
Seems like kind of an odd thing to DDOS. I doubt most californians even know it exists. Maybe there are other issues involved. Could be it wasn't set up to handle the traffic its getting. Could be on the same range as something else getting attacked. There are also some bots/servers that can accidentally gum up your traffic if they are set to crawl your site. I even know someone who accidentally DDOS'ed themselves by using a google image link service wrong such that google kept going back through their site to retrieve images.

Dantedamean
07-07-2012, 7:43 AM
Seems like kind of an odd thing to DDOS. I doubt most californians even know it exists. Maybe there are other issues involved. Could be it wasn't set up to handle the traffic its getting. Could be on the same range as something else getting attacked. There are also some bots/servers that can accidentally gum up your traffic if they are set to crawl your site. I even know someone who accidentally DDOS'ed themselves by using a google image link service wrong such that google kept going back through their site to retrieve images.

Ya, ether it's Yees office, the Brady bunch or it was an accident. I don't see many people doing a DDOS attack on this site.
I could be wrong, but my money is on the first two.

HowardW56
07-07-2012, 7:47 AM
All of Geovario's servers have been under attack. Calguns.net had problems yesterday, it's OK now; Calguns Foundation was in&out yetserday, now it is fine, but the Wiki page won't load; StopSB249.org, got hammered, but it will be back...

HowardW56
07-07-2012, 7:53 AM
It's BACK! (Partially)

DrDavid
07-07-2012, 8:06 AM
It should be back now.. For most people, at least.

Because of the old DNS settings, it can take up another 14 hours to fully propagate my changes. But, it should be more stable now.

DDoS sucks :(

Demonicspire
07-07-2012, 8:06 AM
I doubt it was Yee's office, say what you will, I doubt a senator has the technical knowledge, or malice to assault that site. It seems like kind of a petty thing to commit a federal crime over. So maybe anti-gun folks, or maybe just some random jerk who thought it was funny. Maybe a worm going crazy. As i said, could be any number of reasons.

DrDavid
07-07-2012, 8:44 AM
I doubt it was Yee's office, say what you will, I doubt a senator has the technical knowledge, or malice to assault that site. It seems like kind of a petty thing to commit a federal crime over. So maybe anti-gun folks, or maybe just some random jerk who thought it was funny. Maybe a worm going crazy. As i said, could be any number of reasons.

DDoS attacks are typically against the hosting provider; not the site itself. They typically want some sort of a ransom paid. (It's all about money!)

Anyways, Yee's office isn't going to commit a crime to stop a protest site from existing. That's just stupid.

Also, if it WAS against the site, moving it would not have helped. Yet, it did. So, enough with the conspiracy theories, please. :)

Dantedamean
07-07-2012, 8:50 AM
DDoS attacks are typically against the hosting provider; not the site itself. They typically want some sort of a ransom paid. (It's all about money!)

Anyways, Yee's office isn't going to commit a crime to stop a protest site from existing. That's just stupid.

Also, if it WAS against the site, moving it would not have helped. Yet, it did. So, enough with the conspiracy theories, please. :)

Ya because him and his office have such a great respect for the law.
Not saying his office did it, I'm just saying its not out of the realm of possibility.

Anyways. Good to know its working again.

HowardW56
07-07-2012, 8:54 AM
I still can't get past the Home page, the only links that are working for me are the petition and donation pages... (Hosted elsewhere...)

killathrilla
07-07-2012, 8:56 AM
Its a hack!!

DrDavid
07-07-2012, 9:03 AM
I still can't get past the Home page, the only links that are working for me are the petition and donation pages... (Hosted elsewhere...)

OOPS!! That was my fault. Fixed now.

HowardW56
07-07-2012, 9:19 AM
OOPS!! That was my fault. Fixed now.

OK, just don't let it happen again...... :p

DrDavid
07-07-2012, 9:31 AM
OK, just don't let it happen again...... :p

Darn missing .htaccess file with all my rewrite rules. Ugh.

hornswaggled
07-07-2012, 9:43 AM
apachectrl -start!

JSolie
07-07-2012, 9:56 AM
Strange... I'm getting a "Parallels H-Sphere" "wrong host" message. Is this because of DNS propagation?

DrDavid
07-07-2012, 9:58 AM
Strange... I'm getting a "Parallels H-Sphere" "wrong host" message. Is this because of DNS propagation?

Yeah, sorry.. I can't fix TTL issues.. They just need to time out. You can try resetting your router/computer -- that will force a refresh of the domain. But, barring that, wait 14 or so hours. :sleeping:

HowardW56
07-07-2012, 9:58 AM
Darn missing .htaccess file with all my rewrite rules. Ugh.
StopSb249.org is back... Calguns Foundation Wiki is still gone

JSolie
07-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Yeah, sorry.. I can't fix TTL issues.. They just need to time out. You can try resetting your router/computer -- that will force a refresh of the domain. But, barring that, wait 14 or so hours. :sleeping:

No worries...I was just checking. I work in IT and it sometimes takes days for someone to report something broken because they thought someone else reported it. I'm sure you're familiar with this phenomenon... :D

DrDavid
07-07-2012, 10:05 AM
No worries...I was just checking. I work in IT and it sometimes takes days for someone to report something broken because they thought someone else reported it. I'm sure you're familiar with this phenomenon... :D

If it's not actually reported broken, is it really broken at all?

Thanks for letting me know though :)

Librarian
07-07-2012, 10:57 AM
StopSb249.org is back... Calguns Foundation Wiki is still gone

I got the wiki back last night, and I still have it this morning.

HowardW56
07-07-2012, 11:08 AM
I got the wiki back last night, and I still have it this morning.

And it just loaded for me....

Snake9
07-07-2012, 5:36 PM
OK, so is it ready for me to create a log entry and link pointing to it on my blog then?....:confused:

If it's not actually reported broken, is it really broken at all?

Thanks for letting me know though :)

badhabit90
07-07-2012, 5:55 PM
it loaded for me and i signed the petition ....thank you sir...;):rockon:

Librarian
07-07-2012, 7:38 PM
Since it appears that DrDavid took appropriate measures to survive the DDOS, thread done.