View Full Version : New to Hunting, too late for this year?

07-06-2012, 7:07 PM
Hello all,
This is the first time that I posted in the H&F forum. I just returned form the local gun shop where I put a deposit on a Winchester M70 Feather Compact in .308. It might take him a little while to find one, but he said in the next month in a half or so.

My question is whether it was too late this year, being so close to hunting season, to get what needs to be done to get licensed and perhaps make one trip out to see if I can get lucky?

To be honest, I am not really even sure what the next/first step would be. Perhaps going over to the local hunting gun store and see if they have any classes for new hunters. I think that in my area, wild pig are popular to go after. I am in the Monterey (central coast) area. I have alot about the Holister hills and the surrounding area. Not sure though about that.

Anyone willing to show a new hunter the ropes, perhaps even let me come along on a hunt? I would be willing to try for pig or if possible deer. If not, perhaps you might know of a good club or class to get me going.

07-06-2012, 7:13 PM
Hunting season opened July 1st. Get your license and start reading the CA DFG regs and seasons.

07-06-2012, 7:19 PM
Take your Hunter safety course and get your license. If your rifle doesn't come in on time for deer there are always hogs. There is no season on hogs. Although they are easier and a little less stinky in the winter months.

07-06-2012, 7:31 PM
Look up hunter safety classes NOW. And take the first one you can. When you pass the easy test, go get your license.

07-06-2012, 7:38 PM
I dont know where u live but Bill Tidwell is running the hunting classes at Reeds Indoor Range I think once in two months. They fill very quick so......

07-06-2012, 7:43 PM
Save yourself 4 hours by taking an online hunter safety course, followed by a 1/2 day live course, instead of the full day course. the online course basically amounts to a short test that you have to pass on basic information (i.e. you do not really need to watch the videos to pass the test). I think the one I did was at huntingcourses.com or something like that.

07-06-2012, 9:08 PM
what he said...the 4 hour online course took me an hour. The 4 hour completion classroom test was $15, DFG website has a list of classes statewide. then get your license and any open tag...

07-06-2012, 9:19 PM
Not too late. Once you pass hunter's safety, you can buy a license and get a deer tag for an open, no draw/lottery zone, such as the B zones.

07-06-2012, 10:24 PM
1. Read the information sticky at the top of the hunting section and follow the links
2. Hunters Safety Course
3. Buy License, Pig Tag, and maybe Deer tag (Depending on which Zone)
4. Get some National Forrest Maps

You might want to consider going with a guide for your first time. There are a lot of guides for pigs up there in NorCal. You will learn a lot more in a shorter period of time that way.
Bigboarstopper (member here) is a licensed guide with a lot of good reviews / happy customers (myself included).

For Deer, guides tend to run more money than pigs. I would just buy an over the counter deer tag just in case, but not put too much thought into deer right away. Learn the Regulations, Zone Boundaries, and Seasons for the Tag you get. Dont worry about getting skunked and wasting a tag. Tags are cheap compared to other aspects of hunting.

There are hunting classes offered. I think Bass Pro has them regularly.
Read the PDF "guides" on the dfg website. They are on the right side of the page http://dfg.ca.gov/hunting/

07-06-2012, 10:31 PM
take the class, get your license (available at walmart), get your tags for no-draw zones or season-less animals, and go kill some defenseless woodland creatures!!!!

07-07-2012, 6:45 AM
take the class, get your license (available at walmart), get your tags for no-draw zones or season-less animals, and go HARVEST some defenseless woodland creatures!!!!

Come on, the correct answer for the Hunters Ed class will be Harvest! The PC kinder gentler hunter indoctrination starts now...

07-07-2012, 6:53 AM
^^^lol. At work yesterday I'm walking out the door and 3 of the girls are chatting including our doe eyed 19 year old receptionist knockout (dumb as hell). I tell them what I'm doing and she asks "what do you hunt?". I replied "I only shoot the cutest animals, deer, etc." :)

Others have provided the roadmap. I do strongly urge doing a guided hunt with a licensed guide if you cannot find an experienced and successful buddy who will let you tag along.