PDA

View Full Version : Dogs(sad story) also looking for another one

dirtracer24
07-06-2012, 2:49 PM
Last Thursday my wife Tiffany called me when I was at work and told me that our dog Dixie was unable to get up and move her back legs. She took her to the vet and he took some X-rays of her back and could see some possible problems with a few discs about two thirds of the way down her back. Our options were to medicate her and make her comfortable and hope that she got better with time. The last two weeks have been hell around here and she wasn't getting any better and started getting worse. It was so hard to watch her struggle and try and drag herself around with only her front legs.
After much debate we decided that we had to put her to sleep.
It was a horrible decision to have to make but we feel that she is finally comfortable.
We buried her next to beautiful mountain lake that I used to take her fishing with me.
So that is the sad part of this thread, but now that she has been gone for a few days I feel that this house is to empty without a dog running around, and hearing my 18 month old running around the house yelling Dixie is killing me.
I am looking for a Chocolate lab or Chesapeake Bay. I think we've decided to start with a puppy and and train from there. Maybe be able to hunt with him/her by the end of this years waterfowl season. If anybody knows anybody with in a few hundred of miles of Modesto that is a reputable breeder, or has personal experience hunting with the parents of a new litter. I cant spend to much money but I would appreciate to be steered into the right direction.

winnre
07-06-2012, 2:54 PM
So sorry to hear about this.

Check online for Dog Rescues in your area. I got two puppies this way and they even paid for the neutering.

taperxz
07-06-2012, 3:17 PM
I have good connections to excellent Chessie bloodlines. One is in in San Jose and he has pups available. Great dogs! GOOD breeder who has won many ribbons with his dogs.

Barbarossa
07-06-2012, 3:18 PM
Sorry for your loss. My last pup had to be put down in '07 while I was away at college during finals week.

Golden Gate Labrador Retriever Rescue (http://www.labrescue.org/)

Hightest Retrievers (http://www.hightest.com/puppies.php)

I got a pup from Hightest in December and am very happy with her.
My pups Mom is Trouble.

slo5oh
07-06-2012, 3:25 PM
Too many dogs in this world, rescue one from certain death, if you watch the exact breed you're looking for will pop up.

dirtracer24
07-06-2012, 3:25 PM
I just started searching around today givin the circumstances. I found a 2 year old chessy for free in manteca but I wanna start fresh since I have a small child who has to touch and mess with everything and we also have a cat. From what im reading the chessy is a great all around dog, but that hair is so ugly, and thick for the 100+ degree summers in the valley. Have you guys ever heard of shaving them pretty short in the summer.
@taper approx how much does your buddy charge in San Jose?

dirtracer24
07-06-2012, 3:26 PM
I just started searching around today givin the circumstances. I found a 2 year old chessy for free in manteca but I wanna start fresh since I have a small child who has to touch and mess with everything and we also have a cat. From what im reading the chessy is a great all around dog, but that hair is so ugly, and thick for the 100+ degree summers in the valley. Have you guys ever heard of shaving them pretty short in the summer.

CAHighSierra
07-06-2012, 3:29 PM
Shaving the dogs coat will probably make it even hotter/harder for it in the heat.

sierra m37
07-06-2012, 4:19 PM
We shave our Australian sheep mix for the summer and he loves it. Looks a little skinny but much more happy in the heat of Placerville. Putting your dog down is no fun. I let one die naturally and would not do it again. You made the right decision and she is no longer suffering.

dirtracer24
07-06-2012, 4:33 PM
We shave our Australian sheep mix for the summer and he loves it. Looks a little skinny but much more happy in the heat of Placerville. Putting your dog down is no fun. I let one die naturally and would not do it again. You made the right decision and she is no longer suffering.

It was a horrible day but I am glad she isnt suffering any more. She was the first pup I ever raised and my best friend. The hardest part was that she was only 7 years old. It came on all of a sudden and took us by surprise, she went camping with us just a few weeks ago and was fine running on the beach and playing in the surf. I dont know the more I think about it the more confused I get. Shes comfortable now and thats all that matters.

taperxz
07-06-2012, 4:38 PM

Chessy's do fine in hot weather as long as they have shelter. There are lots of chessys in CA and there is not better water dog. Not sure what you mean about ugly coats, they are in fact quite different from chessy to chessy. Mine has a finer coat as opposed to my last one that was thicker and more curly. NEVER shave a chessie! They use that coat to stay both warm and cool.

He is pretty fair on his prices, $800 to $1000 per. FULLY GUARANTEED! His dogs retrieve 800 birds a year.

mattt
07-06-2012, 5:09 PM
Sorry for your loss. Was back surgery an option? I have 2 labs one 6 and one 10 years old

bigboarstopper
07-06-2012, 5:26 PM
My brothers dog is in its 5th month of recovery from major surgery. I would never put my dogs through that kind of suffering. His dog has been cooped up, doped up and fattened up. The dog is miserable and not healing well. He has done his best to keep the dog from moving excessively but after months of spending most of its time either in a crate or on its dog bed its still managed to hurt itself more than a few times in the last few months. He has breaken the 7000 dollar mark and the dog may never walk correctly or without pain again.

BTW he was simply going to put the dog down but the vet talked him into it and played on the sympathy of his wife. Good job for putting the dog down. Dont listen to the vet. Follow your instincts as to whats the best thing for you and the dog.

dirtracer24
07-06-2012, 9:51 PM
[QUOTE=taperxz;8883419]Chessy's do fine in hot weather as long as they have shelter. There are lots of chessys in CA and there is not better water dog. Not sure what you mean about ugly coats, they are in fact quite different from chessy to chessy. Mine has a finer coat as opposed to my last one that was thicker and more curly. NEVER shave a chessie! They use that coat to stay both warm and cool.

I didnt mean to say your dog was ugly. I was just saying that in alot of the pictures online of chessys they appear to have what I would call pubes on their shoulders and back. Not a total deal breaker for me but it was a concern and feel that they werent the best looking dog.

dirtracer24
07-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Sorry for your loss. Was back surgery an option? I have 2 labs one 6 and one 10 years old

Possibly a chance. Just the MRI was going to be $3000 and back surgery started at another $3000. After reading bigboarstoppers post it made me feel better about the decision I had to make. I would hate to put her through all that crap and still have her all screwed up in the end. Not to mention the financial strain it would put on us.

Shoot-it
07-07-2012, 12:34 PM
We have a 9 to 12 month not sure the age german shepherd running around its a female.It's yours if you want it was a drop off.

Fishseeker
07-07-2012, 2:14 PM
Even though tough you made the right choice,I to had to put down a dog at 6 years old due to this,it is the only right thing to do.

Bakerloo
07-07-2012, 2:40 PM
Here are some chocolates. I am not associated with this breeder.
http://www.duckfeverretrievers.com/CHOCOLATEPUPPIES.html

chris
07-07-2012, 5:14 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. You did the right thing. And as hard as it is to to it you did the right thing. It is never easy to do. Best of luck to you.