View Full Version : US Passport ok ID for a gun purchase?

Chameleon Loco
07-06-2012, 1:14 PM
I am interested in purchasing a long gun from a fellow cal guns member but I do not have a drivers license yet. Would a current passport work for age identification purposes? Also I know you need to show a place of residence, would a report card from the public high school that I just graduated from work? If not are there any others things tht I could use to show my current residence as I do not pay my :water and power, phone, and cable bills?

07-06-2012, 1:28 PM
How about getting a CA ID card?

07-06-2012, 1:32 PM
Are you buying a long gun (rifle or shotgun) that is more than 50 years old?

The CA DOJ's website on this subject:


What identification is required for a person to purchase a firearm?

Clear evidence of identity and age is defined as a valid California driver's license or a valid California Identification Card issued by the DMV. Military identification is also acceptable if accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California, but the dealer must retain copies of both documents.

Temporary driver licenses and temporary identification cards (issued without photo) are not accepted forms of proof of identity and age.

(PC section 12071(c)(1))

The Penal Code states:

(c)(1) As used in this article, "clear evidence of his or her identity and age" means either of the following: (A) A valid California driver's license. (B) A valid California identification card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

So to answer your question, no. A passport is NOT a valid form of ID for a gun purchase through a dealer.

If the transaction is a long gun more than 50 years old, you may be OK, but that's a different question.

07-06-2012, 1:37 PM
No. You need:
CA Drivers License
Military ID

No exemptions

07-06-2012, 5:22 PM
Passport does not provide state of residence info, so is useless for establishing proof of residence.

07-06-2012, 5:36 PM
Latest revision of ATF Form 4473 says

Question 20.b. Alternate Documentation: Licensees may accept a combination of valid government-issued documents to satisfy the identification document requirements of the law. The required valid government-issued photo identifica- tion document bearing the name, photograph, and date of birth of transferee may be supplemented by another valid, government-issued document showing the transferee’s residence address. This alternate documentation should be recorded in question 20.b., with issuing authority and type of identification presented. A combination of government-issued documents may be provided. For example, if a U.S. citizen has two States of residence and is trying to buy a handgun in State X, he may provide a driver’s license (showing his name, date of birth, and photograph) issued by State Y and another government-issued document (such as a tax document) from State X showing his residence address.

No matter what State and Federal law requires, individual FFLs will follow their own judgement and beliefs, even if they are ignorant or stupid. The bottom line is that whatever the FFL accepts is what you have to provide. Ask at your Local Gun Shop what their requirements are.

Chameleon Loco
07-06-2012, 5:59 PM
I scheduled an appointment on sunday for the license test and if I do not pass I will get a california id.

07-06-2012, 6:35 PM
DMV open on Sunday?

Chameleon Loco
07-06-2012, 6:39 PM
I mean monday

07-06-2012, 6:50 PM
It still takes like 4 weeks to get the actual ID, the paper copy is not accepted

07-06-2012, 7:39 PM
Short answer . . . .no. Saw a guy turned down for a DROS with passport.

Chameleon Loco
07-09-2012, 5:55 PM
I passed the driver's license today so my picture license is in the mail just time for my 18th birthday. I still have one question though do I need anything else to purchase a firearm.

07-09-2012, 6:20 PM
I passed the driver's license today so my picture license is in the mail just time for my 18th birthday. I still have one question though do I need anything else to purchase a firearm.

I'm British and buy firearms - I use 3 months bank statements - to prove continuous residency (atf form 4473, section 20.c)-(or you can use utility bills,) car registration and driving license. Hope that helps...

Chameleon Loco
07-09-2012, 6:24 PM
I dont pay many bills but hopefully my last year highschool report cards will work. Oh my car is registered to my dad but we live in the same house.

07-09-2012, 8:41 PM
My wife and daughter both went to the DMV a few weeks back to get their CDL renewed and issued, they came in the mail in just under two weeks which surprised us all.