PDA

View Full Version : N00b question.

Euphoria526
07-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Please don't chastise me for this one. So when I field strip my gun to clean it, especially for the first time, do I need to wipe/clean the excess oil and grease off completely and reapply as needed? Or do I need to leave it and just clean and lube the barrel and lube over what's there. This is my first and don't want to mess up the gun.

NoNOS67
07-06-2012, 11:19 AM
What kind of gun? Glocks have a gold colored grease on the slide that is NOT to be removed.

winnre
07-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Depends how dirty it is. A few swipes down the barrel may be all that you need. I prefer to strip off all fluid from the firearm, get the gun squeaky clean, then replace them all. Especially on a new gun because I have no idea who touched it before me, and I need to know it inside out.

SDM44
07-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Depends on the gun. Some guns require little to no lube, some require lots of lube all over it.

The manual that came with your gun will tell you where and how much lube to apply after you clean the gun. You can also search youtube and other places for vids where people show how they clean & lube their guns, but they're usually doing it by their preferred way.

Euphoria526
07-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Ok so Im talking about my NIB CZ p-01.
Had it piled on moving parts a few times before I took it home, I know about the glock grease and not to wipe that. Haven't checked the manual or even field stripped it yet. So just a question while I'm at work and don't have my
Manual with me.

mikestesting
07-06-2012, 12:48 PM
I like to wipe all grease and oil off and replace. The oil and grease attracts and retains dirt which can cause abrasion and wear.

HPGunner
07-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Why would you not remove the factory "gold" grease on the Glock when you clean it? It's not magic grease. For a minute - I though you were joking.

Step 1: Field strip and clean the entire gun. That includes removing old grease and lubricants.
Step 2: Reapply new lubricants/grease which ever you prefer and re-assemble.

Euphoria526
07-06-2012, 1:26 PM
Gotcha. Been told that glock grease should stay on the gun till its gone, but since I dont own or like glocks I won't have that issue.
So next bit of info I want to ask is, I bought a cleaning kit, do I need to get anything else? Doesn't look like grease is included. Any special kind I need?

stix213
07-06-2012, 1:28 PM
I usually use synthetic safe gun scrubber to quickly clean out all the dirt and old oil. Then I wipe everything down with paper towels, use a bore snake down the barrel 5 times, oil, and reassemble. My go to all around oil for friction points has been slip 2000 lately. I'll use rem oil if I'm just spraying the outside and wiping it off.

There are different opinions on using gun scrubber, but I've found it to be pretty handy and effective. YMMV

NoNOS67
07-07-2012, 8:15 PM
Why would you not remove the factory "gold" grease on the Glock when you clean it? It's not magic grease. For a minute - I though you were joking.

Step 1: Field strip and clean the entire gun. That includes removing old grease and lubricants.
Step 2: Reapply new lubricants/grease which ever you prefer and re-assemble.

Just going off of what the manual says. No, it's not magic grease, but why remove it if the manufacturer says not to?

blockfort
07-07-2012, 8:58 PM
I have an XD9, and after each session, I field strip it, wipe it down with a rag and toothbrush wherever I can reach, then re-oil where metal slides on metal.

Strykeback
07-07-2012, 9:36 PM
I fieldstrip it down after every trip to the range. Spray everything down with ballistol and let that sit for a few minutes. Wipe out with the brush and paper towel all the slide glide (great product everyone is impressed how smooth my HK is to handle). Wipe the slide frame and outside barrel. Then run the wipes down the barrel. More ballistol , barrel brush and a couple wipes.

Lube the railes. Barrel hood that rubs against the under side of the slide.

I know some say no q tips but ive found them great for getting the grime out of tightest smallest corners. Then again i think the lube i use makes it more of a pain to clean....lol

Budtheweiser
07-07-2012, 9:52 PM
Use make-up applicators instead of q-tips. They are the same but stronger and made to hold together. They don't fall apart when they contact solvent or oils. You can find them in the make-up section in Walmart or Target.

Euphoria526
07-08-2012, 9:19 AM
So you Gus would suggest drying the gun completely and using make up applicators to reapply lube and oils!?

Mr.1904
07-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Just going off of what the manual says. No, it's not magic grease, but why remove it if the manufacturer says not to?

That "Gold grease" is an anti-seize they put on it to have it rub into the frame and slide. It's instructed in the manual to not wipe it off. For Glocks only.

h0use
07-08-2012, 6:19 PM
Light film of oil on the moving parts on the pistol is fine

SoulStealer
07-08-2012, 8:38 PM
Depends how dirty it is. A few swipes down the barrel may be all that you need. I prefer to strip off all fluid from the firearm, get the gun squeaky clean, then replace them all. Especially on a new gun because I have no idea who touched it before me, and I need to know it inside out.
This is good advice!

drifter2be
07-08-2012, 9:21 PM

I'm with you on this. I do a complete cleaning on all my firearms after taking them out shooting, and it is the first thing that I do when I get home with a recent purchase, especially if it is used. Several guns I have purchased from members of this forum, including the 1911 I just picked up yesterday were extremely dirty, like several range trips dirty. Bothers me a little because I could not imagine selling a gun without having cleaned it after the last time I shot it. My cleaning procedure is the same as yours, completely remove all old fluid/grease from the gun, fresh lubricant after the cleaning and reassembly.

On a side note, never knew about the "gold grease" on a Glock, but then again I don't own one, so it doesn't really concern me, but, learn something new every day.

Kappy
07-08-2012, 10:43 PM
My CZ was completely covered in oil when I bought it. I mean COVERED. It was in a plastic bag... kind of reminds me of when I got a Mosin that had creosote all over it in a plastic bag... but nowhere near as bad.

I stripped it and hosed it with brake cleaner from Walmart. I then lubed it over myself.

Should be a great gun. Treat it well and it will treat you well.