PDA

View Full Version : experience with the bushmaster 7.62x39 upper?

martinez
07-06-2012, 11:36 AM
im just getting into ar's. i recently purchased a bushmaster 7.62x39 upper, i researched it before buying but does anybody have one? i still need a lower and i got it so i can shoot cheaper steel ammo from this and my ak. please let me know any info

Flintlock Tom
07-06-2012, 11:43 AM
I have the Bushmaster 7.62x39 upper and am very pleased with it. However, I have not tried any steel-cased ammo. I shoot only brass cased including Yugo surplus.
I think you'll like it.

martinez
07-07-2012, 12:31 AM
what lower are you using? i'm thinking i will like it too. thx

pinoy916
07-07-2012, 8:13 PM
any AR15 lower will do....theres really no difference unless its billet.
You should worry more about the magazine you are going to use along with a QUALITY BCG.

c good
07-07-2012, 9:17 PM
I you are going to shoot steel cased/Russian style surplus, you'll need a extra power hammer spring. c good

martinez
07-08-2012, 2:40 PM
where do i get the hammer/spring? also i read i might or might not need longer firing pin. im on a budget right now but where would i get a better BCG and mags_ thanks guys

zfields
07-08-2012, 2:46 PM
why not just get steel cased .223, its just about the same price.

martinez
07-08-2012, 4:04 PM
im already shooting 7,62x39 in my ak so i figured it be more of a convinience thing. plus dont you need a higher end upper to shoot steel 223 with no problems?

sharxbyte
07-08-2012, 11:40 PM
I have an upper (not bushy) and love it; get both the extra power hammer spring and the enhanced firing pin; I didn't need the spring, because I installed the pin first, but some people might need both. I've broken two bolts, and from my research the only ones that haven't broken are the LMT reinforced bolts. They are no longer manufactured, or covered by warranty, but LMT still has some in stock.

supernachos
09-28-2012, 8:08 AM
I run the same Bushmaster 7.62x39 initially with a PlumCrazy Polymer lower then moved it to a Spike Lower .
I upgraded the firing ping ($20) and hammer spring ($10) which was good. No more light primer strikes.

I still had some failure to feed with the *straight* 10 round mags. Once I tried a pinned ASC 10/30 ( $20 Exile machine) curved banana Mags (like the AK mags) I have had no issues since. So now I retired those silly 10 rounders and never used them since.

I buy the cheap Walmart 7.62x39 123Gr TulaAmmo for $4.95/20 rounds and never been happier. No failure to fire nor failure to feed. Love that Tulammo. It is not lacquer which gums up the internals as well.

Though Non-magnetic the Yugo surplus ammo round is corrosive and one of the dirtiest ammo around. It is also becoming expensive and harder to find. I used to buy a lot of these Yugo rounds just to have the *privilege* to shoot at Burro or Angeles. The red paint on the primer would adhere to the bolt face and cause the firing pin not to fully strike the primer and cause failure to fire. So I would have to clean the bolt every 60 rounds.

Well I no longer shoot at Angeles or Burro but just shoot at Raahagues in Corona. Sure they are more expensive @$30 but it is way cheaper in the long run since I can buy the cheaper Walmart ammo. You also get your own shooting bay,you can ...rapid... fire and you don't get the stupid range master yelling at you for doing so...:43:

ethib
09-28-2012, 9:27 AM
Still getting the kinks out of my ar 7.62x39 I recently built. I didn't start with a stronger hammer spring and you'll want that, they're $5. I didn't think I could shoot steel at my range at first but not that I know I am. I got mine from joeboboutfitters. One of the brands is Wolff, but you can search "extra power hammer spring ar15" and find some others. You'll also want the enhanced firing pin, its sold for the same price as regular firing pins.
I also went with a heavier buffer, T2 and an adjustable gas block. Not necessities but the heavier buffer had mixed reviews of helping recoil/cycling to not noticeable and the same with the adjustable gas block. Some people mentioned it helped and since I built from ground up and figured why not especially since neither had bad reviews of being used