PDA

View Full Version : Help, changing magazine catch BB'd lower

drifter2be
07-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Ok, before someone says anything about removing the bullet button, my lower is separated from my upper while trying to do this.

Long story short, have a del-ton lower with a factory bullet button on it. Trying to remove it so I can swap the mag catch for one that has don't tread on me laser engraved. I don't know what they did from the factory, assuming they put loctite on it, but i broke the ears of my little red bullet button wrench trying to take this thing off last night, and I think it would be pointless to order another BB wrench since they are made out of cheap aluminum.

Looking for suggestions on how to get it off of there. I thought about pushing down to expose enough of the mag catch to cut it off with a dremel, but they screwed it on too far from the factory for that. I figure worst case scenario is I will have to call a local gunsmith on this one, although I would really like to attempt to do this myself since it's not worth paying a lot of money just to swap out a magazine catch.

Ed_Hazard
07-06-2012, 10:21 AM
have you tried heating the BB to loosen the lock tite first?

I also use a smaller set of needle nose pliers to get in and work the BB out.

drifter2be
07-06-2012, 11:24 AM
have you tried heating the BB to loosen the lock tite first?

I also use a smaller set of needle nose pliers to get in and work the BB out.

I'll have to go out to the garage and dig through my tool box to see if I have a set of pliers small enough, if not I'll be running to harbor freight for a set of pliers, I'll also try heating it first before attempting with the pliers. Thanks for the advice.

Fot
07-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Can also take a small socket and cut notched in the side like the red bullet button wrench. It is alot harder. I had to do that to get a stuck firing pin out of an Old Enfield

Prc329
07-06-2012, 11:58 AM
I always use a really small screw driver to spin the bolt out. That or a tiny pic. Heat it to loosen the locktite and see if that will work.

drifter2be
07-06-2012, 1:48 PM
Tried heat and every method of tool at my disposal, that mo-fo is on there. My last two options that I can see are to pay for a smith to remove the bullet button, risk them destroying it, have to pay for their services and a new bullet button, or I can get out my drill and try drilling out the bullet button nut on the mag release, start off small and keep stepping up my bit size until I can break the nut, this option will quite obviously destroy the bullet button and I will have to buy a new one. Either way I am fairly frustrated at the moment.

Chaos47
07-06-2012, 1:58 PM
It's probably loctited and heat or sufficient torque will be the answer to it eventually.

You may want to try to use a penetrating oil on it too to try to free it up, such as Zep Twister or Kroil. (no WD40 wont do jack)

Maybe you can take a small screw driver that will fit inside and dremel the center out of it to create a tool that will fit the slots?

Since you are taking the magazine lock off and possibly even destroying it might be a good time to consider going featureless?

Goodluck

seainc
07-06-2012, 2:02 PM
Looks like you will need to drill it. be sure to drill from the catch side.
http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt228/yen10579/Forum/9331.jpg

drifter2be
07-06-2012, 2:14 PM
It's probably loctited and heat or sufficient torque will be the answer to it eventually.

You may want to try to use a penetrating oil on it too to try to free it up, such as Zep Twister or Kroil. (no WD40 wont do jack)

Maybe you can take a small screw driver that will fit inside and dremel the center out of it to create a tool that will fit the slots?

Since you are taking the magazine lock off and possibly even destroying it might be a good time to consider going featureless?

Goodluck

Meh, I'm leaving CA in the next few months, so no point in going featureless as I will be able to run my AR full featured without the bullet button in a few months. I did a bit of research and just ordered the freelock bullet button tool, figure for 8 dollars shipped its worth trying. They claim it is capable of removing a bullet button that has been loctited on. If that does not work then I guess I will just leave it alone until I move then drill it out when I get settled in AZ, that way I won't have to replace the bullet button when I destroy it. Heck, destroying the bullet button might even be slightly therapeutic for me.

BluePhoenix7
07-06-2012, 2:39 PM
I recently moved to AZ for a work contract. Even though I'll only be out here for 6 months, the BB was the first thing I "unpacked".

I used red loctite on the nut when I built the rifle over 3 years ago. I managed to get a small flat head screwdriver (think terminal block screwdriver or similar) into the head of the nut and gently tapped on the screwdriver with a ball peen. Apparently a little impact goes a long way.

This wasn't really pretty, it cheesed up the nut a little and the top two threads of the catch, but it worked and I can still use it again in the future.

tanakasan
07-07-2012, 7:07 AM
^^Wow, red loctite!

Try heat. A soldering iron or _small_ hobby torch (not a propane or MAPP gas) will work. Hopefully yours is not red loctited down. Red is for BOLTS. Use blue or purple. A little goes a long way! G/L!

Robert

REDdawn6
07-07-2012, 8:04 AM
I had to drill mine out and replace BB and mag catch. Use some tape to not scratch lower.

Mossy Man
07-07-2012, 8:15 AM
i've heard and seen youtube videos of people heating up the mag catch bolt (the button-side) with a soldering iron to help break the locktite bonds before trying to free the nut.

Thordo
07-08-2012, 7:53 AM
Looks like you will need to drill it. be sure to drill from the catch side.
http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt228/yen10579/Forum/9331.jpg

DO NOT DO THIS!!

There's a much simpler solution that won't destroy your BB.

First line of defense. Did you heat it up enough. Use a heat gun NOT A TORCH. You have to get it to about 400 degrees to soften the thread lock.

Second line of defense. DO NOT DRILL THE BB. If your mag catch is a two piece design. Use a dremel and grind the head off of the post where it presses into the mag catch. take a screw driver or punch and hammer and push the post out the hole. THIS WILL SAVE YOUR BB!!
Once it's out. Hold the post in vise grips and heat the BB nut to 400 degrees to remove.

We've done this MANY times while doing UBML installs.

We see this so often that I think I'll do a video on it.

Thordo

j6p2004
07-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Try this stainless steel tool:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=8393841&postcount=8

drifter2be
07-10-2012, 3:37 PM
The freelock removal tool came in today from Vamfire. Needed to throw a pair of vice grips on the knurled part of the tool to break the nut free, but it came right off. Thanks for all the advice on here.

Thordo
07-11-2012, 2:32 PM
The freelock removal tool came in today from Vamfire. Needed to throw a pair of vice grips on the knurled part of the tool to break the nut free, but it came right off. Thanks for all the advice on here.

Glad to hear it!! It sucks to have to destroy perfectly good parts.

Thordo

Chaos47
07-11-2012, 2:42 PM
Congrats!

drifter2be
07-11-2012, 4:03 PM
Yeah, look for the bullet button and tool showing up in the market in a few weeks along with all my 10/30 magazines, as I won't be needing any of those soon.