PDA

View Full Version : 30 round mag in possession with a featureless and non featureless rifle

johncmng
07-06-2012, 9:07 AM
Is it illegal for me to have a 30 round magazine if I own BOTH a featureless and non-featureless rifle? I'm worried if shooting on BLM land that the ranger my arrest me for having a high cap magazine because I have a non featureless rifle.

luchador768
07-06-2012, 9:09 AM
I haven't run into an issue with it. Posession of standard capacity mags is not illegal. if you run it in your fixed mag rifle, obviously, you will be breaking the law.

joelogic
07-06-2012, 9:15 AM
If you dont feel comfortable with the law leave it behind.

Mossy Man
07-06-2012, 9:16 AM
just don't put it in your fixed mag rifle.

possession and use of high-capacity magazines is not illegal.

QuarterBoreGunner
07-06-2012, 9:16 AM
Posession of standard capacity mags is not illegal. if you run it in your fixed mag rifle, obviously, you will be breaking the law.

Learn it, live it, tattoo it to your forehead and teach it to your parrot.

theshoer
07-06-2012, 9:17 AM
why take the chance?

luchador768
07-06-2012, 9:20 AM
Because I legally own them and I like to shoot them. I refuse to not use some of of my legally owned mags out of fear. Did I mention it's legal?

phrogg111
07-06-2012, 9:24 AM
I've got two ARs. I have 10 round mags for use in my featureless one with me at all times, but I built a bolt-action one (no gas port/block/tube), so I like to use my high capacity magazines.

If your mags are preban, you're fine. They won't even really give you any hassle over it. Keeping your mouth shut does work, too.

Possession of high capacity magazines is NOT against the law, and the statute of limitations for import/manufacture (a felony) is 3 years. In other words, the rangers would have to prove you imported/manufactured the magazine within the last 3 years.

If they do hassle you over it, make sure you're not doing anything else illegal (like using it in a rifle that makes it an assault weapon), and sue them. You'll win, and dirty cops will no longer be dirty.

Lagduf
07-06-2012, 9:26 AM
Just keep the CGF hotline number on you if an LEO arrests you on bogus charges.

Mossy Man
07-06-2012, 9:33 AM
I've got two ARs. I have 10 round mags for use in my featureless one with me at all times, but I built a bolt-action one (no gas port/block/tube), so I like to use my high capacity magazines.

If your mags are preban, you're fine. They won't even really give you any hassle over it. Keeping your mouth shut does work, too.

Possession of high capacity magazines is NOT against the law, and the statute of limitations for import/manufacture (a felony) is 3 years. In other words, the rangers would have to prove you imported/manufactured the magazine within the last 3 years.

If they do hassle you over it, make sure you're not doing anything else illegal (like using it in a rifle that makes it an assault weapon), and sue them. You'll win, and dirty cops will no longer be dirty.

you could use those same hi-cap mags in your featureless also, but i'm sure you know this.

Librarian
07-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Is it illegal for me to have a 30 round magazine if I own BOTH a featureless and non-featureless rifle?

That precise question is 'is there "constructive possession" for a large-capacity mag plus a mag-locked rifle', and the answer is "No".

Richard Erichsen
07-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Just keep the CGF hotline number on you if an LEO arrests you on bogus charges.

For the record, what is the CGF hotline number?

R

Kappy
07-06-2012, 10:34 AM

R

Seconded.

Kappy
07-06-2012, 10:35 AM

R

Not the right one -- http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/help-hotline.html

If you have a firearms-related legal issue in California email us at hotline@calgunsfoundation.org or
call CGF at (800) 556-2109

// Librarian