View Full Version : Anybody here ever shipped firearms parts to Canada?

07-06-2012, 8:49 AM
I received payment from a Calgunner wanting me to ship 6, 10 round pistol magazines across the border. After getting stopped at the post office to to fill out a customs form, was told i needed some type of export license.

Is this correct? Is there any easy way to do this for a one time transaction or am i better off refunding the money and walking away from this deal?

07-06-2012, 8:58 AM
You have to contact the State Department, if I'm not mistaken, to obtain a permit to export firearms parts? Magazines would be included with this... It's pretty dumb.

I can't find where you'd apply for such a permit online. Did you check with your postal carrier? Any information? They may be able to tell you who would be in charge of such a thing, at the minimum.

07-06-2012, 9:06 AM
You need to also contact the Canada Border Services Agency. In fact, your buyer should have done that part of the process.

07-06-2012, 9:12 AM
thanks for clarifying. There were a few threads on google search about this but I have yet to see any threads where someone has actually gone through with this....just can't believe it's that difficult. Easier i think to just refund the money than jump through all these hoops over $100.

Bt Doctur
07-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Shipping Gun Parts to Canada

Question: I want to buy parts in the US for my firearm and import them into Canada.

Under USA regulations, suppliers in the United States need an export permit to permanently export firearms and firearm parts to Canada. To get an export permit, they need to include a Canadian import document with their application. It is up to you or your import agent to obtain such a document from the Government of Canada and give it to your supplier.

Your supplier does not require a Canadian import document for muzzle-loading firearms, antique firearms, pellet guns or BB guns. Neither do they require one for shipments of firearm parts (other than frames, barrels, cylinders, receivers, and complete breech mechanisms) with a total wholesale value of less than $100 US.

It should be noted that there is no equivalent exemption offered by the Department of Commerce for shotgun parts. Further, there is no exemption for ammunition or ammunition components.

07-06-2012, 6:02 PM
gonna ship to some outpost near the washington state border (US side) and let him take it from there. thanks for the clarification all