PDA

View Full Version : Pot growers and hunting

sierra m37
07-06-2012, 6:40 AM
Just curious if anyone has run into a guarded pot growing op while hunting or otherwise. I'm up here in Placerville and wheel the area quite a bit. I understand there are many "farms" down south towards Yosemite and up north in Humboldt. I've not run across any but they are likely to outgun us recreational types.

esiegel91
07-06-2012, 6:42 AM
Ive seen them on TV shows..lol..does that count?? lol...just wear o.d. green pants and shirt and bring a german shephard with you...if you ever encounter one theyll just run...lol

StraightShooter
07-06-2012, 6:57 AM
I have found a couple, but I have never seen people in them. It's likely they heard me coming and hid or they just weren't there. If you find one, just leave immediately, don't go explore it. Sounds kinda common sense but you would be surprised what your curiosity will tempt you to do. Things to look out for are branches that were obviously cut and placed across the trail forcing you to make noise to cross it, riverbeds that appear to have been dragged to remove tracks, any place that has year round water with dense trees, and obviously any grow supplies like fertilizer, tubing, black or green paint cans, etc. The best thing you can do while hiking is to stop frequently and listen for movement.

chicoredneck
07-06-2012, 7:01 AM
I have run into a couple of active gardens, but usually I just see the remanants of growing operations. Irrigation tubing, buckets, empty fertalizer bags, etc are a pretty common sight.

k1dude
07-06-2012, 9:46 AM
I have run into a couple of active gardens, but usually I just see the remanants of growing operations. Irrigation tubing, buckets, empty fertalizer bags, etc are a pretty common sight.

Yup. I've run into a lot of irrigation trash. I never stuck around to see if they were active or not. When you see the debris, GTFO. It sucks, because it's usually where the best fishing and hunting used to be. But they poach the hell out of the game, so there's nothing left to hunt or fish for.

VaderSpade
07-06-2012, 9:53 AM
I have (thread around here somewhere).
I see in the news where they just found two bodies in a shallow grave near a pot farm.
Be careful out there.

bigboarstopper
07-06-2012, 11:27 AM
I found a pot farm last month about the size of 2 football fields. Gave the warden the gps coordanance. Talked to the warden last week and they haven't done more than look at the area on google earth. Meanwhile the area is a danger to the public, the enviorment and the pans of antifreeze set around it is killing every creature that drinks from them. Dfg is lame.

kygen
07-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Watch out for booby traps also

TROYSD
07-06-2012, 12:17 PM
THE ranch next to the one i hunt had renters growing about 80-100 plants. i told the owner who told a sheriff deputy who lives down the steeet from me. he said well maybe ill go out there and see if its worth our while . did nothing

DirtyDave
07-06-2012, 12:32 PM
THE ranch next to the one i hunt had renters growing about 80-100 plants. i told the owner who told a sheriff deputy who lives down the steeet from me. he said well maybe ill go out there and see if its worth our while . did nothing

I think with a Medical card you can have up to 100 plants for "personal use"

chillincody
07-06-2012, 12:58 PM
I think with a Medical card you can have up to 100 plants for "personal use"
in san diego county this is how it is, you may only have 12 mature plants per card holder mature means flowering or budding the only way you can have up to 99 plants is if your a caregiver for other prop 215 holders or a coop also with 99 plants it MUST BE in a locked up green house of a certain sq ft to be legal with your paperwork hung so looky loos can see :cool:

cabcrazy
07-06-2012, 12:59 PM
I use to find farms everywhere when I hunted. Go t tired of not getting any help from law enforcement, so we started to confront them. Usually they only have maybe one or two people there, so when 6-7 rednecks show up with shot guns and **** they tend to move on.

mif_slim
07-06-2012, 1:17 PM
^ that's the shiznits! But of course...kinda reckless. Haha

TROYSD
07-06-2012, 1:18 PM
mendo co is 25 plants

sierra m37
07-06-2012, 1:23 PM
I wonder if we could start an active location mapping site so people know where to stay away from and LE knows where to go when they get serious. I'm not concerned about the 215 or semi legal operations. I'm concerned about the cartel grows. They are armed, dangerous and have more to lose, so offing an unsuspecting hunter, hiker, wheeler would not be a terribly big deal to them. In addition, they are poisoning the area with the slash and burn techniques. This is our land, is it not?

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-06-2012, 1:29 PM
This is our land, is it not?

nope, it's govt land... they call it public land just to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

bigboarstopper
07-06-2012, 1:36 PM
nope, it's govt land... they call it public land just to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Ain't that the truth.

dirtracer24
07-06-2012, 2:21 PM
I found one back in April in turkey season, I reported it and they did nothing. Ive found them in the past and I just know to turn around and head the other way and report it later.

VFX_man
07-06-2012, 2:39 PM
I found a pot farm last month about the size of 2 football fields. Gave the warden the gps coordanance. Talked to the warden last week and they haven't done more than look at the area on google earth. Meanwhile the area is a danger to the public, the enviorment and the pans of antifreeze set around it is killing every creature that drinks from them. Dfg is lame.

Naw, not lame . . . they're just too busy playing with the "special device" that they confiscated from that guy on "Wild Justice". ;) Speaking of which, was it the same warden you talked to?

bigboarstopper
07-06-2012, 3:07 PM
Naw, not lame . . . they're just too busy playing with the "special device" that they confiscated from that guy on "Wild Justice". ;) Speaking of which, was it the same warden you talked to?

It was. I was gonna ask him a few questions that some in here wanted me to ask but he called me while I was working and I made the conversation brief. The thing that really irritates me is that the likelihood of a hiker/hunter coming across this weed patch is quite possible. It is obviously a cartel grow so the possibility of somone getting hurt or killed is a real possibility. The pans of anti freeze around the grow are still killing every animal that drinks from them. how many deer have potentially walked through this canyon where the spring has now been diverted and made inaccessible to drink from? The access to the water now gone and replaced with poision. There is no other water in this valley that I know of for a significant distance. Seems to me a ecological disaster and wildlife die off would prompt a better responce?? If they have time to pull a dildo out of a guys butt you would think they could at least get out of the truck and WALK to a pot grow that somone gave them a MAP to.

k1dude
07-06-2012, 3:18 PM
It was. I was gonna ask him a few questions that some in here wanted me to ask but he called me while I was working and I made the conversation brief. The thing that really irritates me is that the likelihood of a hiker/hunter coming across this weed patch is quite possible. It is obviously a cartel grow so the possibility of somone getting hurt or killed is a real possibility. The pans of anti freeze around the grow are still killing every animal that drinks from them. how many deer have potentially walked through this canyon where the spring has now been diverted and made inaccessible to drink from? The access to the water now gone and replaced with poision. There is no other water in this valley that I know of for a significant distance. Seems to me a ecological disaster and wildlife die off would prompt a better responce?? If they have time to pull a dildo out of a guys butt you would think they could at least get out of the truck and WALK to a pot grow that somone gave them a MAP to.

And how come the giant, rich, and powerful environmental lobby always looks the other way when it comes to these illegal pot farms? Yet if a law abiding citizen accidently steps on the wrong frog on their own property they'll have 1,000 people breathing down their neck trying to ruin his/her life.

Ken Woodford
07-06-2012, 3:26 PM
In the mid 90's I found one up in the San Bernardino Mnts. They had got their water from up high somewhere and then piped it down...gravity fed...so much force that the rain bird sprinkler was about 10 feet off the ground shooting looked like 100 feet.

I took gps coords, left and went home, called my dept. From what I heard we surveilled it off and on for a week the just took the plants. No arrests.

toby
07-06-2012, 3:30 PM
No pot farms where the Desert Mule Deer live so I don't get involved.....:cool2:

westcoastr
07-06-2012, 5:09 PM
I've happened on 4 now, one active last year. Probably need to follow up as there was good hunting there is it way the heck in the middle of nowhere. I believe the wardens made an attempt to find/raid it. Would hate to run into anyone out there.

I can understand some lack of immediate response assuming they are backlogged or can't give out operational intell until it is over. But the lack of response others have got seems like we need to light a fire under someone's a**.

theseacow
07-06-2012, 5:25 PM
anyone want to send me some coordinates?

zfields
07-06-2012, 5:38 PM
They aren't going to enforce the laws because the DA's aren't going to take the time to prosecute. Why waste the money and man power when there is little to no result.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

mattt
07-06-2012, 6:11 PM
In a area near Placerville maybe 10 years back or more a man hunting on his own property with his 2 young sons age 12 and 4 was killed by mex dope growers .They shot him and gut shot his 12 year old then threw the 4 year old with them to die. Was all over the news then. The 4 year old lived.

chicoredneck
07-06-2012, 7:48 PM
Bigboarstopper,

If the grow you found is indeed being tended by cartels/illegals law enforcement will get involved. They usually try to wait until closer to harvest season to make a bust. Extremely large grows and ones run by illegals on government property get targeted by law enforcement. Small operations are pretty much ignored.

HokeySon
07-06-2012, 7:52 PM
No pot farms where the Desert Mule Deer live so I don't get involved.....:cool2:

True ... but you have to watch out for the "guided tour groups" that start on the other side of the border ... haven't run into one, but have seen lots of sign.

mr2lor
07-06-2012, 7:52 PM
anyone want to send me some coordinates?

calguns raid? :-)

jtv3062
07-06-2012, 8:15 PM
I know for a fact that east of Willets Leo's raid pot farms. I've seen the helicopters and trucks loaded with confiscated pot. They cite and release anybody that is found on a pot farm.

cannon
07-06-2012, 8:33 PM
Might as well post the GPS of found pot farms on the internet. If DFG et al won't do anything. Pot thieves will. ;)

k1dude
07-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Might as well post the GPS of found pot farms on the internet. If DFG et al won't do anything. Pot thieves will. ;)

Ha! That would be a great idea if the cartels wouldn't hunt you down.

nick
07-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Never ran into a guarded one, but my girlfriend and I found a couple in L.A. National Forest. That's when she declared that we aren't going hiking unarmed again. Who was I to object :)

RandyD
07-07-2012, 5:17 AM
Why do the pot growers set out pans of anitfreeze? What is that purpose of doing that?

I like the idea of posting locations on an internet board. Let the junkies do what law enforcement refuses to do.

victor1echo
07-07-2012, 5:39 AM
I have not come across any but I plan to in the next week while I scout for deer in the Eastern Sierras. The cartels are here and operate with out any interference from local law enforcement. I have had students chased away by armed men, and nobody did anything about it. The LAW waits until the plants are ready to harvest, then the feds come and take it all away. It's really out of our sheriffs jurisdiction as most growing occurs in the foothills of the sierras. Seems rangers want to harass hikers for permits but they are scared of men with guns. It really disgusts me. Also, the feds usually take all the weed away in their black helicopters. Where do they take it? With all the heroin they import.

Why do the pot growers set out pans of anitfreeze? What is that purpose of doing that?

Animals love the taste, but it kills them. So all the peskey critters that eat their plants will instead drink the antifreeze and die. None of this would take place if it were legal.

njineermike
07-07-2012, 5:46 AM

I like the idea of posting locations on an internet board. Let the junkies do what law enforcement refuses to do.

Pot plants are like candy to deer. The antifreeze poisons the deer so they won't eat the pot. If it wouldn't burn the freaking state down, I'd say gas and a match would be a quickly fix. GPS the location, come back with some roundup. Problem solved.

taperxz
07-07-2012, 5:56 AM
Feds and other agencies wont raid pot this early in the year. They will raid when the poundage goes up so they can boost the estimated street value to justify using all those resources to invade the grow.

lewdogg21
07-07-2012, 6:47 AM
Feds and other agencies wont raid pot this early in the year. They will raid when the poundage goes up so they can boost the estimated street value to justify using all those resources to invade the grow.
^^^This. They hit them right before harvest so as to make the growers work all spring/summer and get nothing.

I've seen a big raid with a Helicopter, guys with AR's, 10 wheeler flatbeds before from the other side of the Garcia river. Looked like a Christmas tree farm. It wasn't huge compared to what you read about on the news but it was basically planted in the open so they had to hit it.

I've also found grow supplies where I deer hunt near Ice House, including ones that were bought and stashed there that same spring (very scary as it was maybe 100 yards from the in-laws cabin). There are some areas I don't go as a precaution b/c it's just not worth it as I'm either alone or just don't want to deal with the potential even with others who are also armed.

This **** is real and for the life of me I can't understand the political angle that makes this topic off-limits for the elected politicians. Also I don't know why the Sierra Club and other widely funded environmental groups aren't jumping up and down screaming about this. Be careful guys.

ScottB
07-07-2012, 8:59 AM

Call the DEA. Wardens, sheriffs, etc. don't see it as their main job. Maybe USFS or EPA will get interested in the environmental angle.

theseacow
07-07-2012, 12:17 PM
calguns raid? :-)

Whos in charge of snacks?

ewarmour
07-07-2012, 4:01 PM
If you find a grow post the coord's and FREE WEED! over here:

http://eplaya.burningman.com/
and here
http://www.stonerforums.com/
and here
http://forum.grasscity.com/

Buncha dirty barefoot hippies will descend on the grow, smoke it all up and restore the habitat to a wild untouched condition.

Done and done. :D

westcoastr
07-07-2012, 4:17 PM
If you find a grow post the coord's and FREE WEED! over here:

http://eplaya.burningman.com/
and here
http://www.stonerforums.com/
and here
http://forum.grasscity.com/

Buncha dirty barefoot hippies will descend on the grow, smoke it all up and restore the habitat to a wild untouched condition.

Done and done. :D

good idea, but they will convert all the animals to communists, whom will promptly go on strike and refuse to be hunted.

Just found out my honey hole is still a "no-go zone"....I'm all for the LEO's cleaning up the place on their own, but if this persists past this summer, the "redneck" militia may have to be activated.

07-07-2012, 8:47 PM
I say set.up an over watch in your AO. When the time comes SEND IT.

littlebear44
07-08-2012, 2:39 PM
Redneck Militia, maybe one day it will cause The Govt to take action. How many animals, plants, and insects do these farms kill while LE waits to raid them. If you find one post the location.

07-08-2012, 3:36 PM
We found one this year. LE had already hit it going to keep an eye out on it. Might find a target rich environment.

paul0660
07-08-2012, 3:53 PM
Might find a target rich environment.

School is out.

Lifeon2whls
07-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Whos in charge of snacks?

BAHAHA

Hey...Why don't we get CBS involved and have them do an expose on this since they seem to be itching for "news" stories. Then send the footage over to Yee and his cronies so he can go on a rampage and maybe get something done and not worry about bullet buttons.

MJB
07-12-2012, 11:43 AM

They won't arrest them they just want to scare them so they leave.....no money to process them.....seen it first hand at TR.