PDA

View Full Version : M&P 15

esiegel91
07-06-2012, 5:57 AM
Is coming out of jail today!!!! Wooooooohoooooo!! Sorry guys I had to do it lol...I'm so excited

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

SocomM4
07-06-2012, 7:38 AM
Grats man!

SuicideCharley
07-06-2012, 7:50 AM
Yahooo!! I got mine last Saturday. Nice gun for a GREAT price.

Fractured
07-06-2012, 7:55 AM
Congrats- now go put sone lead through it!

Mossy Man
07-06-2012, 7:57 AM
Just turned mine featureless

ZombieTactics
07-06-2012, 8:02 AM
somewhere an angel has gotten its wings

Mossy Man
07-06-2012, 9:24 AM
somewhere an angel has gotten its wings

lol i know the M&P15 sport has a large following due to its price, and many of those who own them like to try to think they have the best AR on the planet

i own one, and I know what it is and what it isn't.

and i'm cool with that.

Cobra71
07-06-2012, 9:35 AM
As a starter rifle or base platform, I think it is a great rifle. I can pick mine up after 5 on Tuesday but I am working so I have to wait till Wednesday morning to free mine. It will be my first gun that is mine. I have shot some rifles and a few different pistols but never owned one till now. This waiting really sux!

-C71

esiegel91
07-06-2012, 9:38 AM
As a starter rifle or base platform, I think it is a great rifle. I can pick mine up after 5 on Tuesday but I am working so I have to wait till Wednesday morning to free mine. It will be my first gun that is mine. I have shot some rifles and a few different pistols but never owned one till now. This waiting really sux!

-C71

ya for sure waiting is the hardest part...and im military and have shot a lot of different kind of guns and am a marksman on the m16/m4 platform so im pretty excited to see how this stacks up..

Mossy Man
07-06-2012, 9:39 AM
ya for sure waiting is the hardest part...and im military and have shot a lot of different kind of guns and am a marksman on the m16/m4 platform so im pretty excited to see how this stacks up..

mine has been pretty accurate, and my best friend has the same rifle and he's a better shot than me.

it's definitely an improvement over the mini-14 i have

it's not chrome lined so it might be a factor.

MrExel17
07-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Niice, happy for you! Pick up days are always exciting cant never get tried of that feeling!

SA227driver
07-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Sport or Tactical model?

I picked up my M&P 15T from yzernie in the commercial sales forum and love it. Added an EOTech EXPS 2-0 and a Magpul MOE grip and that was it. Bought it mostly with the knowledge of getting the backing of S&W's excellent warranty service.

ICONIC
07-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Congrats now go buy some accessories for that bad boy.

esiegel91
07-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Sport or Tactical model?

I picked up my M&P 15T from yzernie in the commercial sales forum and love it. Added an EOTech EXPS 2-0 and a Magpul MOE grip and that was it. Bought it mostly with the knowledge of getting the backing of S&W's excellent warranty service.

Its the sport model

Mossy Man
07-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Its the sport model

the sport does make for an ideal lightweight carbine system

my recommendation is to not load it up with junk

i even had thoughts about getting one of those NFA lowers for both an extra rifle and also to use for a lightweight gun

Lexustech48
07-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Love my sport. The way I see it? I have a lifetime warrantied rifle, that has the ability to accept any AR-15 upper. I can buld or use any upper I want with as much or as little in the way of accessories or barrels as I wish. That's what really makes the AR platform so amzing. Glad I saw the light. Enjoy your new rifle!! =)

JavaBrewer
07-06-2012, 12:24 PM
mine has been pretty accurate, and my best friend has the same rifle and he's a better shot than me.

it's definitely an improvement over the mini-14 i have

I was planning an AR build with my son over the holidays but with the low entry price for the M&P I am second guessing that plan.

Mossy - you have been a big supporter of the Mini 14 in the past. If you don't mind sharing what you consider to better with the M&P over your Mini.

esiegel91
07-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Love my sport. The way I see it? I have a lifetime warrantied rifle, that has the ability to accept any AR-15 upper. I can buld or use any upper I want with as much or as little in the way of accessories or barrels as I wish. That's what really makes the AR platform so amzing. Glad I saw the light. Enjoy your new rifle!! =)

speaking of which, if i bought this gun from a ppt does the warranty still exist???

Mossy Man
07-06-2012, 12:34 PM
I was planning an AR build with my son over the holidays but with the low entry price for the M&P I am second guessing that plan.

Mossy - you have been a big supporter of the Mini 14 in the past. If you don't mind sharing what you consider to better with the M&P over your Mini.

I love my mini-14 for its design simplicity and for nostalgic reasons (was a gift from my father), but even with the mods i've done, it is still prone to stringing (just not as much or as bad) after a few mags. Up until yesterday, it was still my go-to rifle for HD/SHTF due to detachable magazines.

When i mentioned "improvement" i was referring to its accuracy.

Of course, that's on the old minis (pencil barrel). I don't know much about the newer ones, but from what I understand they are much improved.

Things I like about the Mini-14:
Simple featureless-by-design
Ergonomic traditional rifle styling
reliable
lightweight
Not a Evil Black Rifle
nostalgia
I have multiple pre-ban hi-cap mags

Things I dislike about the mini-14:
lack of consistent grouping
optics mounting options
magazine price and compatibility
proprietary parts
Field stripping requires tools and can be tricky sometimes

now onto the M&P15 Sport..

Like:
Modular mounting options
Accurate
I can play barbie with it
Ergonomics
Ease of field stripping
It's an Evil Black Rifle
Inexpensive reliable/readily available mags
Parts availability

Dislike:
Bullet Button
It's an Evil Black Rifle (love/hate)
Reputation (from antis)
few pre-ban hi-caps

I've since gone featureless and I like it....the grip looks like it will take a while to get used to, but once I do, it will likely replace my mini-14 as my go-to-rifle.

I like both and will probably not get rid of either unless they force me to.

esiegel91
07-06-2012, 8:00 PM
Well here it is boys plain Jane but I sure do love it...

Mossy Man
07-06-2012, 9:05 PM
grats man, you're gonna love it!

what stock is that?

doesn't look like the factory one

esiegel91
07-06-2012, 9:31 PM
Its a dpms stock ..def not the one that came with it...not real big on it but ill change it out eventually

ZombieTactics
07-07-2012, 10:18 AM

Actually, the melonite treatment on the Sport is superior to chrome lining.

Mossy Man
07-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Actually, the melonite treatment on the Sport is superior to chrome lining.

what's what i've been told. i'm a big fan of the melotine treatment, it's also supposed to have comparable corrosion resistance to chrome lined.

ChaneRZ
07-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Congrats! I do miss my sport!

esiegel91
07-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Went and shot it today...and I LOVE it...I think its actually better than all the military guns I've shot...thing didn't jam once...didn't even need to use the "sport" technique once! Awesome

Lexustech48
07-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Great to hear! First day on the range with a new gun is awesome.

esiegel91
07-08-2012, 12:43 AM
Great to hear! First day on the range with a new gun is awesome.

:thumbup:

I agree

10mm
07-08-2012, 12:54 AM
Congrats fella!

tonelar
07-22-2012, 11:28 PM
What stock did yours come with? So, you're getting rid of the dpms?

doc66
07-23-2012, 2:08 AM
16 hour countdown for pick up :)
Enjoy your time off

gun505
07-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Nice congrats!

SuicideCharley
07-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Sweet! I just got back from vacation where I put 1k rounds through mine. Light cleaning and ran her wet. It ate up and spit out the crappiest steel case ammo I could find in a very efficient manner. :43: no complaints here, hope yours treats you as well as mine is.

Mossy Man
07-23-2012, 12:53 PM
mine had some issues with tula

had mostly fail to lock bolt on last round, but a few times out of 300 it would failure to feed...i think they're just too underpowered

d33pt
07-23-2012, 1:05 PM
Just turned mine featureless

Can you post some pics? What stock/grip did you use?

Mossy Man
07-23-2012, 1:26 PM
Can you post some pics? What stock/grip did you use?

http://i.imgur.com/ikOGE.jpg?1

Tried exilemachine's Hammerhead. Now trying Solar Tactical's Kydex Wrap.

Stock is still my MOE that I pinned in 3 places. No more flash hider, just have a thread protector. ST Kydex wrap is glued to the MOE grip, and the screws are loctited.

Lifeon2whls
07-23-2012, 3:24 PM
i own one, and I know what it is and what it isn't.

Really...and what isn't it?

Mossy Man
07-23-2012, 4:21 PM
Really...and what isn't it?

Modular
Optics friendly
Very precise
Easy to find parts for
Cheap
Have readily available reliable inexpensive magazines

Still love her though.....its a no BS carbine that is always ready and willing.

EDIT: oops i thought you meant the mini14

the sport....

well first and foremost it is NOT an assault rifle :)

it's also not a milspec military duty rifle. it's probably not suitable for dragging through the mud/sand/jungles of a warzone. it's not a competition rifle. It's not a flashy or expensive rifle. You won't win any e-thugging rights for owning one, like say, a colt for the diehards or a novenske for the elite.

what it is, to me, is a great economy civilian AR15 platform that will serve any purpose a civilian may need an AR15 for in terms of defense

Lexustech48
07-23-2012, 6:28 PM
Dont forget, you can add any "military" style upper on it and be ready to rock in a mud/sand/jungle filled world. Think of the Sport as a starter AR. Solid lower with an upper that can be swapped as your needs grow/change.

feelgood
07-23-2012, 6:37 PM
enjoy and feel good about it...just like what lexustech48 said, you could use any mil spec upper and you're good to go...i've done it with the lower and it worked fine with two other uppers... good shooting to you!

d33pt
07-24-2012, 3:50 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ikOGE.jpg?1

Tried exilemachine's Hammerhead. Now trying Solar Tactical's Kydex Wrap.

Stock is still my MOE that I pinned in 3 places. No more flash hider, just have a thread protector. ST Kydex wrap is glued to the MOE grip, and the screws are loctited.

What didn't you like about the hammerhead?

Mossy Man
07-24-2012, 3:58 PM
Honestly the only thing I didn't like about the hammerhead was the looks. They both still look pretty silly, but the solar tactical was slightly less so. I decided to try out the solar tactical just to give it a shot. Meanwhile the hammerhead is getting another couple of coats of paint.

Lifeon2whls
07-24-2012, 4:41 PM
the sport....

well first and foremost it is NOT an assault rifle :)

it's also not a milspec military duty rifle. it's probably not suitable for dragging through the mud/sand/jungles of a warzone. it's not a competition rifle. It's not a flashy or expensive rifle. You won't win any e-thugging rights for owning one, like say, a colt for the diehards or a novenske for the elite.

what it is, to me, is a great economy civilian AR15 platform that will serve any purpose a civilian may need an AR15 for in terms of defense

I actually plan to use the sport for competitions and its been very accurate with an optic on. When shooters are equal, I doubt I would win any contests at very long range but anything else this rifle stands a fair chance.

someR1
07-24-2012, 4:58 PM
I think you should do a range report with various brands of ammo :)

Bobby Ricigliano
07-24-2012, 5:03 PM

-C71

The M&P 15 Sport might be a "starter rifle" because it is obviously without a dust cover and forward assist. However I wouldn't sell the M&P line of AR's as any less able than ANY other manufacturer. My first AR was an M&P (not a sport). I've since owned Stag, Bushmaster, L.A.R., and a few other off brand lowers and uppers.

You know, they all perform about the same....

I admit to scoffing at posts and threads from weekend range shooters who insist that only (Insert overpriced boutique brand here) will do and at they insist on 'the best' for the zombie invasion or other suburban fantasy of the week.

My M16A4 in the Army was a rattling, loose mess. But it worked 100% with proper maintenance and a competent shooter behind it.

Our military surplus Colt sporter conversions that I carried in the trunk of my black and white are even sloppier than the M16 I had in the Army. But guess what... Those worked just fine too.

I guess my point is that the M&P or any other competently assembled AR rifle will do everything that can be needed of an AR rifle. Soldiers and cops all over the world are depending daily on equipment that some on the web would dismiss as junk even though they never have and never will hear a shot fired in anger except on the TV.

Be proud of that Sport. Every rifle I've seen in this thread I'd be proud to own. Every new AR that finds itself in the hands of a new owner further entrenches and cements the 2A into our future and those of our kids. Peace.

Squid
07-24-2012, 5:13 PM
something to do with lack of forward assist on these ARs?

Mossy Man
07-24-2012, 6:08 PM
I actually plan to use the sport for competitions and its been very accurate with an optic on. When shooters are equal, I doubt I would win any contests at very long range but anything else this rifle stands a fair chance.

mine has been as precise as i am capable of. I know it's much more precise than my pencil barrel mini with mods, and even moreso after 2 mags.

Be careful what you say though, there are those who spent many times more on their uppers than the sport and might get a little upset when you say it stands a fair chance

:hide:

doc66
07-24-2012, 7:54 PM
Not to thread jack.... But I too just picked mine up yesterday and lookin forward to some range time on Saturday. Just gotta figure on where to get some ammo now. No changes to it- straight from the box. Def want to swap out the grip for a hogue (like the feel) and maybe an optic. But that's it for now. Just thought to share. Also nice to know that it's a good rifle. Will probably be my first and only AR- so I'm happy.

Lexustech48
07-24-2012, 8:39 PM
I got a hogue grip in black. haha Im too lazy to bring my tools home from work to swap it out. feels real nice though.

@ Mossy Man: they may have a boutique brand, but we all have SMITH & WESSONS! :D

Lifeon2whls
07-24-2012, 9:05 PM
mine has been as precise as i am capable of. I know it's much more precise than my pencil barrel mini with mods, and even moreso after 2 mags.

Be careful what you say though, there are those who spent many times more on their uppers than the sport and might get a little upset when you say it stands a fair chance

:hide:

Sorry I should have been more specific and said the Sport will shoot as good or better than the more expensive frankenbuilds.

Jyruiz
07-24-2012, 9:13 PM
The M&P 15 Sport might be a "starter rifle" because it is obviously without a dust cover and forward assist. However I wouldn't sell the M&P line of AR's as any less able than ANY other manufacturer. My first AR was an M&P (not a sport). I've since owned Stag, Bushmaster, L.A.R., and a few other off brand lowers and uppers.

You know, they all perform about the same....

I admit to scoffing at posts and threads from weekend range shooters who insist that only (Insert overpriced boutique brand here) will do and at they insist on 'the best' for the zombie invasion or other suburban fantasy of the week.

My M16A4 in the Army was a rattling, loose mess. But it worked 100% with proper maintenance and a competent shooter behind it.

Our military surplus Colt sporter conversions that I carried in the trunk of my black and white are even sloppier than the M16 I had in the Army. But guess what... Those worked just fine too.

I guess my point is that the M&P or any other competently assembled AR rifle will do everything that can be needed of an AR rifle. Soldiers and cops all over the world are depending daily on equipment that some on the web would dismiss as junk even though they never have and never will hear a shot fired in anger except on the TV.

Be proud of that Sport. Every rifle I've seen in this thread I'd be proud to own. Every new AR that finds itself in the hands of a new owner further entrenches and cements the 2A into our future and those of our kids. Peace.

Very well said.

Mossy Man
07-24-2012, 9:20 PM
Not to thread jack.... But I too just picked mine up yesterday and lookin forward to some range time on Saturday. Just gotta figure on where to get some ammo now. No changes to it- straight from the box. Def want to swap out the grip for a hogue (like the feel) and maybe an optic. But that's it for now. Just thought to share. Also nice to know that it's a good rifle. Will probably be my first and only AR- so I'm happy.

if you can run tula, Ammo depot in folsom is pretty decent price around $5.25

otherwise i typically buy the XM855 federals 55gr at river city gun exchange for $6.50

Mossy Man
07-24-2012, 9:21 PM
I got a hogue grip in black. haha Im too lazy to bring my tools home from work to swap it out. feels real nice though.

@ Mossy Man: they may have a boutique brand, but we all have SMITH & WESSONS! :D

yep, now i just need a 686

doc66
07-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Nice lookin out Moss- next time im in Sac area will keep in mind.

if you can run tula, Ammo depot in folsom is pretty decent price around $5.25

otherwise i typically buy the XM855 federals 55gr at river city gun exchange for $6.50

d33pt
07-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Honestly the only thing I didn't like about the hammerhead was the looks. They both still look pretty silly, but the solar tactical was slightly less so. I decided to try out the solar tactical just to give it a shot. Meanwhile the hammerhead is getting another couple of coats of paint.

So far I think the hammerhead is cool, but I need to do something about the finish. It is soo slippery. Maybe sand it a bit, or even stipple it.