PDA

View Full Version : AR laws

Rafterman22
07-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Have ANY of you out there EVER been in actual AR-15 related trouble? Has a range officer ever come up to you and said they were calling the cops because they noticed your gun was non-compliant? I'm just curious - the sb249 thing got me thinking about this.

Chaos47
07-05-2012, 10:25 PM
There have been known cases of arrests made.
Keep your rifle legally configured.

14URdqHJRcQ
see 3:15

I see this thread being locked really quickly...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/buckee/GIFs/locked.gif

xpbprox
07-05-2012, 10:27 PM
These SB threads are annoying

m1a1driver
07-05-2012, 10:28 PM
At lytle creek range I was hassled over my featureless AK. The range officers just go down the line pushing mag releases during the line break, they came across mine and they said WHOA IM NOT SURE IF THIS IS LEGAL.... What idiots, I'll never go there again. I told them politely to mind their own business and NOT touch my rifle.

Rafterman22
07-05-2012, 10:31 PM
sorry, i'm kinda new and was just curious. nevermind, its ideal to not break the law

Mossy Man
07-05-2012, 10:32 PM
i've been to a local range, and there was a guy right next to me that could not have been older than his early 20s.

He had a featured AR15 with a standard magazine release and was using 30-round pmags.

The following lawful possibilities occurred to me, and each had a counter:

1. He had a BB and was using a gpick in his glove that i didn't see.

BUT - he was using 30 rounders. AW. LEOs too.

2. He had a featureless rifle, and i just didn't see the fin.

BUT - I did not see a fin later, and he had a flash hider. AW for everyone.

3. He had a RAW, and i misjudged his age.

BUT - he looked REALLY young to have been 18 in 1992.

4. He was an LEO that was given authorization to purchase a legal RAW by his department.

So having ruled out 1, 2, and 3, it means he was either an LEO with an authorized RAW, or he was plain breaking the law.

Either way, nobody seemed to care.

I'm not advocating breaking the law, but these have been my observations.

TheThousands
07-05-2012, 10:45 PM
I have seen a few people get busted at an indoor range I shoot at. The employees (RO? I don't know what to call them) just told them what they needed to change to get legal and said not to come back until then. I have had some people tell me that my rifle is illegally configured (featureless AR, no 30 rounders but dropping mags is still fun :)) but luckily the employees know me, and the laws, fairly well.

Sniper3142
07-06-2012, 12:37 PM
i've been to a local range, and there was a guy right next to me that could not have been older than his early 20s.

He had a featured AR15 with a standard magazine release and was using 30-round pmags.

The following lawful possibilities occurred to me, and each had a counter:

1. He had a BB and was using a gpick in his glove that i didn't see.

BUT - he was using 30 rounders. AW. LEOs too.

2. He had a featureless rifle, and i just didn't see the fin.

BUT - I did not see a fin later, and he had a flash hider. AW for everyone.

3. He had a RAW, and i misjudged his age.

BUT - he looked REALLY young to have been 18 in 1992.

4. He was an LEO that was given authorization to purchase a legal RAW by his department.

So having ruled out 1, 2, and 3, it means he was either an LEO with an authorized RAW, or he was plain breaking the law.

Or he could be Active Military and have a MAWP.

;)

As long as he was using the firearm in a safe manner, the BEST idea is usually to MYOB.

Mossy Man
07-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Or he could be Active Military and have a MAWP.

;)

As long as he was using the firearm in a safe manner, the BEST idea is usually to MYOB.

could be too

and because I didn't know, and minded my own business, i just kept shooting my mini-14 and had a great time!

:D

Garrman
07-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Last year for RAW was 2000. I know because I registered mine.

msand951
07-06-2012, 1:56 PM
I was hassled by sheriff in Bee canyon for my Wasr. And it had 10 rd. mag (locked).
I carry the chart with me so I managed to keep my rifle . They were ready to take and give me a court date or arressted. Since then I just went featureless.

I Know about not allowing searches and seizures. But they came up on us quick with weapons out yelling to put them down. We had to lay them on the dirt and they did there thing.

Just understand the chart, follow it , and carry it with you. you should be ok.

CSACANNONEER
07-06-2012, 2:14 PM
To answer the initial question, YES, more than a few calgunners have been arrested for legal OLLs. Of course, calguns was responsible for the whole OLL movement to begin with and there were many unjustified arrest in the early days of OLLs.

Sbasham
07-06-2012, 2:24 PM
Trying to figure this out. The gentlemen at 6:30 in the video said a pistol gripped ar15 with a 30 round mag is an AW. But then if you take the PG off and put the MMG it is legal with a 30 round mag. Thought more than 10 is illegal unless owned before the ban.

I have PMAGs that are 10/30 (CAN hold 30 but are pinned at 10). That scares me that I might get in trouble by some new cop that doesn't know the law.

Merc1138
07-06-2012, 2:26 PM
Trying to figure this out. The gentlemen at 6:30 in the video said a pistol gripped ar15 with a 30 round mag is an AW. But then if you take the PG off and put the MMG it is legal with a 30 round mag. Thought more than 10 is illegal unless owned before the ban.

I have PMAGs that are 10/30 (CAN hold 30 but are pinned at 10). That scares me that I might get in trouble by some new cop that doesn't know the law.

You're confusing magazine acquisition laws with AW laws. They are separate issues.

Sbasham
07-06-2012, 2:29 PM
You're confusing magazine acquisition laws with AW laws. They are separate issues.

ok thanks

Mossy Man
07-06-2012, 2:33 PM

Like the previous poster said, 2 different laws.

legally owned hi-cap mags are legal to use in inherently featureless rifles like Mini-14s, SU16s, and M1As.

A fixed magazine centerfire rifle is limited to 10 rounds.

If you wish to use ANY evil feature on ANY semiauto/centerfire rifle, it must have a fixed magazine (or be a RAW, which if you're asking now you don't have) with no more than 10 rounds or less...be it an AR/AK/Mini series or whatever.

If you take away all the features that identify an AR as an AW, it no longer is classified as an AW, and should be grouped together with the Mini14s, SU16s, and M1As.

Intimid8tor
07-06-2012, 3:10 PM
I got into AR trouble once. A guy in a brown suit from United Police Services dropped a package off at the door. My wife promptly said, what is that? I thought for a second and said, it's the upper for your new rifle. Oh, she said.

Now when United Police Services drops a package at my door, I just tell my wife it's for her rifle. She's not sure why she needs 4 Aimpoints, 3 weapon lights and 2 lasers, but I tell her they are all for her protection.

:biggrinjester:

In reality, there have been issues at different times. Follow the flow chart and stay within the law and you will be fine.

Travis590A1
07-06-2012, 10:32 PM
sorry, i'm kinda new and was just curious. nevermind, its ideal to not break the law

Seems like you were trying to break the law with that statement. Almost like your testinf the waters with our experiences. Keep it legal or go to jail. Is losing your 2a rights worth a couple extra illegal mods to your rifle? If you have to pondet that question then maybe you should just stick to air rifles

scotty99
07-06-2012, 11:17 PM
I had a Range Master ask me if my Bushmaster RAW was "pre-ban". I told him yes and he walked away.

I can't say for sure, but it seems your odds of being hassled are much higher in NorCal than in SoCal.

mrvash
07-06-2012, 11:43 PM
I was at a local outdoor range here in Redding, CA (NorCal) and I had been threatened and harassed by BLM ranger's. I even had the flow chart and penal codes with me, but they weren't having it, they told me that I was only allowed "three customizations" on my rifle, and by that they meant everything from rail handguards, vertical grips, telescoping/folding stocks, pistol grips etc. The ONLY reason I wasn't arrested and/or my rifle wasn't confiscated was because the ranger was giving me a "break" I had a legally configured bullet buttoned AR.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj252/mr_vash/Guns/CompleteAR.jpg
This is how my rifle, at the time, was configured with a Raddlock. Currently, I am running a featureless set up.

scglock
07-07-2012, 4:11 AM
"three customizations" :smilielol5:

MrPlink
07-07-2012, 4:18 AM
Ive had a lot of people try to tell me my AR pistol is illegal (its all legit btw) but never any LEO etc etc.

Librarian
07-07-2012, 11:46 AM
they told me that I was only allowed "three customizations" on my rifle, and by that they meant everything from rail handguards, vertical grips, telescoping/folding stocks, pistol grips etc.

That sounds like a really bass-ackwards memory of the expired Federal 'a-w' law (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c103:H.R.3355.ENR:) (Look for Title XI) `(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

`(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

`(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

`(iii) a bayonet mount;

`(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

`(v) a grenade launcher;