PDA

View Full Version : Any Precision shooters use Dillon RT1200 trimmer for .223?

Quinc
07-05-2012, 7:49 PM
Anyone use one? What do you think? How does the sizer size the inside of the case mouth? Do you have any issues seating 69-80gr bullets?

I have a Possum hollow and after doing a bucket of brass in a drill press and having all kinds of consistency issues I am ready to spend the extra money on something better.

joelogic
07-05-2012, 10:23 PM
The die does not touch the inside of the case. I tumble to smooth the edge. But since most LR bullets are boattail anyway it doesnt really matter.

Quinc
07-06-2012, 7:21 AM
Excellent! I was going to take the expander thing out of my die and put it in my decapper. Any other tips?

ZakAttackMan
07-06-2012, 8:03 AM
All you need to know right here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=211158

joelogic
07-06-2012, 8:05 AM
With boattail bullets I dont even expand the neck. Granted I load MOA ammo someone who loads sub-MOA may feel different.

FLIGHT762
07-06-2012, 12:38 PM
I've used the Dillon RT-1200 a Gracey and a Giraud. I sold the Dillon and the Gracey and now only use a Giraud.

The Dillon trimmer with a .223 trim die is going to set you back almost $300.00. The Giraud in 1 caliber is $425.00.

The Dillon doesn't chamfer in and out. The Trim die also doesn't have an expanding button in it. If you use a single stage press, you have to run the cases through a regular die with a expander, especially if you have brass that has thicker necks. If you are running the the RT-1200 on a progressive press, no issue since you can put a regular F/L die in the #2 or #3 position. For single stage though it sucks.

The other thing about the trim die is the one I had in .223 Remington wouldn't bump the shoulder enough to resize for my AR gas guns. I HAD to re- run the cases through a regular F/L die to get the proper shoulder bump. All of the other trim dies I had did size/bump well enough. I had trim dies in .222 Remington, .223 Rem., 270 Win., 30/06 and 308 Win.

Just understand with the Dillon RT 1200 you may have to re-run the cases through a Regular F/L die or a neck sizing die.

Like I said, I owned them all. I settled on a Giraud and trim for 5 different cartridges. I'm very happy with the Giraud. Changing to other calibers is less than 2 minutes if you have the pre set cutter heads and use regular die set rings on the shell holders. I know the Giraud is a bit more expensive, but if you are going to reload for another 20 years or more, I believe the Giraud is a better investment.

The only downside I've read about the Giraud is the bearings may need to be replaced at some point with a better quality set.

problemchild
07-06-2012, 12:45 PM
You are not supposed to "size" with the trim die. That die only hold the brass in place for the trim. I use carbide dies to size and bump BEFORE the trim, then trim, then M die to size the neck and remove burs. Works great and I shoot 1/2 inch with that brass out of an AR-15. I can also load 600/hr and trim 700+/hr.

http://youtu.be/nby26pSPE8w

I've used the Dillon RT-1200 a Gracey and a Giraud. I sold the Dillon and the Gracey and now only use a Giraud.

The Dillon trimmer with a .223 trim die is going to set you back almost $300.00. The Giraud in 1 caliber is $425.00.

The Dillon doesn't chamfer in and out. The Trim die also doesn't have an expanding button in it. If you use a single stage press, you have to run the cases through a regular die with a expander, especially if you have brass that has thicker necks. If you are running the the RT-1200 on a progressive press, no issue since you can put a regular F/L die in the #2 or #3 position. For single stage though it sucks.

The other thing about the trim die is the one I had in .223 Remington wouldn't bump the shoulder enough to resize for my AR gas guns. I HAD to re- run the cases through a regular F/L die to get the proper shoulder bump. All of the other trim dies I had did size/bump well enough. I had trim dies in .222 Remington, .223 Rem., 270 Win., 30/06 and 308 Win.

Just understand with the Dillon RT 1200 you may have to re-run the cases through a Regular F/L die or a neck sizing die.

Like I said, I owned them all. I settled on a Giraud and trim for 5 different cartridges. I'm very happy with the Giraud. Changing to other calibers is less than 2 minutes if you have the pre set cutter heads and use regular die set rings on the shell holders. I know the Giraud is a bit more expensive, but if you are going to reload for another 20 years or more, I believe the Giraud is a better investment.

The only downside I've read about the Giraud is the bearings may need to be replaced at some point with a better quality set.

FLIGHT762
07-06-2012, 1:30 PM
You are not supposed to "size" with the trim die. That die only hold the brass in place for the trim. I use carbide dies to size and bump BEFORE the trim, then trim, then M die to size the neck and remove burs. Works great and I shoot 1/2 inch with that brass out of an AR-15. I can also load 600/hr and trim 700+/hr.

http://youtu.be/nby26pSPE8w

Whether they are supposed to size or not, or you choose to or not, they can F/L size. I had a .222 Remington trim die that bumped the shoulders so far back, it ruined the brass. Got case separations when they were fired on every case. Had to toss the brass. It was my fault because i didn't set it up using a case gauge. Lesson learned

Since you are running the Dillon RT-1200 on a progressive press, that's the way Dillon designed it and it works very well on a progressive press as you explained.

My point is if you run the Dillon on a single stage press you will have to run the brass again through a regular die one way or another. I ran it for years on one. It works, but more work involved than using the RT-1200 on a progressive press.

Some new reloaders may not know that and it may help them make an informed choice on choosing a trimmer, depending the type of press they use.

joelogic
07-06-2012, 4:32 PM
I have reloaded more than 10k rounds using the trim die as the sizing die and not expanding the neck.

YMMV of course.

PatrickHenry
07-06-2012, 8:13 PM
I have reloaded more than 10k rounds using the trim die as the sizing die and not expanding the neck.

I have done around 3000 rounds this way.