PDA

View Full Version : Salton Sea Info

Bowhunter_619
07-05-2012, 7:42 PM
My father in law is in town for the weekend from Lancaster and is really set on heading out to the Salton Sea for fishing. Anyway have any experience fishing out there? From what I am finding is that tilapia is what everyone fishes for out there. Any advice would be appreciated.

tony270
07-05-2012, 8:06 PM
they have what they call croker (kingfish) and the trophy fish corvina. The ticket now s days is nightcrawlesar chunks. Back in the day it was mud puppies, poor richards bait shop on the north shore has the bait. If you want big covina go witho 20 pound test, talapia and crocker can can be caught almost with every cast. The salton sea is the best fishery in california. Be prepared for an unbelievable amount of flies and the extraordinary heat (110) even at night. Over the years we have had great success at bombay beach, covina beach amd the other state beaches. Another bait
shop is in Niland.

Bowhunter_619
07-05-2012, 9:16 PM
Thanks for the info Tony.

d33pt
07-05-2012, 9:47 PM
There's still live fish in the salton sea? i thought the salinity levels were too high for them to survive now, hence all the fish bones on the shore.

Bowhunter_619
07-05-2012, 9:57 PM
D33 I will let you know tomorrow when u return.

spectr17
07-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Tony, the corvina and croaker died off years ago in the Salton Sea due to the increased salinity. About the only fishing left there is the talapia on worm chunks in the sea and canals.

Comcam
07-05-2012, 11:48 PM
I only go out to there photograph the abandoned buildings lol. You will see plenty of dead fish along the shore!

xSARSx
07-06-2012, 1:24 AM
yep, nightcrawlers for tilapia. they bite like crazy

tony270
07-06-2012, 5:21 AM
I don't know about the crocker dieing and corvina dieing off, the reason there's so many bones on the shore is becsuse IMO too many fish in the sea add algae blooms. My brother and I caught crocker and corvina as little as 5 years ago. And I still have family members and friends that still fish there.

toby
07-06-2012, 5:36 AM
The Sea is dead.

tony270
07-06-2012, 8:50 AM
I never knew they all died off, that's sad, thanks spectr17/JHO.

Tony, the corvina and croaker died off years ago in the Salton Sea due to the increased salinity. About the only fishing left there is the talapia on worm chunks in the sea and canals.

I got this report from this link:
http://www.outdoornewsservice.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=category&id=1&Itemid=58If
Friday, 15 June 2012 21:19
3. The heat is starting to build, but the tilapia action at the Salton Sea is simply off the charts right now with ice-chests full of tilapia up to 1 1/2 pounds or better showing for everyone tossing nightcrawler pieces. The hot spots have been the State Park headquarters jetty and the free fishing jetty at the refurbished Salton Sea Yacht Club. For an update on the action, call the Visitor Center (open Friday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) at 760-393-3810.

But the sea is thriving with tilapia so don’t believe the hype Toby. The fish bite during the hottest conditions and most people can’t bare that. The corvina at one time roamed around the sea in schools and. But over the years the runs have been studiedly decreased until people are saying that no corvina and cocker are left in the sea.

It was about 5 years or so ago when I heard the corvina bit was on I told my brother and we went and caught and released a dozen or so corvine in the 10 to 15 pound range. The cocker bite was on and the tilapia were hitting too. That was at Bombay Beach and now a days most of the corvine beaches have been temporary closed by the State for years.

5shot
07-06-2012, 11:55 AM
There's some very good fishing for catfish, largemouth bass, striped bass, and panfish, in some of the canals in that area. And some great bowfishing.

Constant840
07-06-2012, 12:01 PM
I doubt you will catch any type of trophy fish in that water... you may catch something you can't get rid of though.
Lots of Tilapia, but do some reading up on the place, particularly the All American Canal, before you consider eating any of them.

Keep going further NE towards Palo Verde. Any of the canals around there will produce fish. Some of the backwater hold trophy flatheads.

HighWildFree
07-06-2012, 2:20 PM
I love fishing the canals, mainly the coachella canal, north east of Bombay. Also lots of quail in the area. Back a truck up to the locks, toss your line over the fence and under bridges. Lots of channel cats perfect eating size, 15-20 inches.

Bowhunter_619
07-06-2012, 3:44 PM
Alright guys, I just returned from our trip.
It was my first time driving out that way and I really enjoyed the view driving thru the San Jacinto Mtns.

As for the fishing, we arrived about 7am to the jettys behind the visitor center and there was already a group there so we moved south about 100 yards. There were quite a few people out today. We threw night crawler pieces all morning with no real success for the grown-ups. The kids on the other hand had a blast catching the small baby bluegill sized tilapia.

Overall it was a great day to spend with the family outdoors.

Next time I will check out the canals for the panfish and catfish action.

Thanks to all for the great info.

Bowhunter_619
07-06-2012, 4:22 PM
Forgot to mention that there were nice size tilapia being caught off the jetty behind visitor center.

gunnerstuff
07-06-2012, 5:15 PM
I heard the fish there glow at night

ADAM
07-06-2012, 5:27 PM
what ever you catch from salton sea just dont eat it.

xSARSx
07-07-2012, 11:57 AM

why not? i know there use to be a high level of either lead or mercury so you cant eat but now its good.

spectr17
07-07-2012, 2:00 PM

I hear that a lot but every fish study I've seen by the gubmint says the toxic levels in the fish at the Salton Sea are safe to eat. Now go walk along the New River that dumps into the Salton Sea from Mexico and look at all that blue foam on top the river from the pollution and tell me that. Also, the illegals that swim the New River to enter the US come out with all kinds of infections and nasties like dysentery I'm told. Did Mexico ever build that treatment plant they were supposed to build on their side for the New River instead of dumping their raw sewage into the river?

toby
07-07-2012, 2:02 PM
I hear that a lot but every fish study I've seen by the gubmint says the toxic levels in the fish at the Salton Sea are safe to eat. Now go walk along the New River that dumps into the Salton Sea from Mexico and look at all that blue foam on top the river from the pollution and tell me that. Also, the illegals that swim the New River to enter the US come out with all kinds of infections and nasties like dysentery I'm told. Did Mexico ever build that treatment plant they were supposed to build on their side for the New River instead of dumping their raw sewage into the river?

I was gonna say this and more, but did not want to gross people out....

Bowhunter_619
07-07-2012, 8:56 PM
Jesse, thanks for posting this info. Like I said the kids caught a bunch of very small tilapia like baby blue gill size. I am not a tilapia eating fan myself but my father in law is, and I will pass this info to him; I'm sure he will re-think eating tilapia out of Salton.

headed to bed early gonna hit Pendleton for some bunny hunting tomorrow with the boys.