PDA

View Full Version : Featureless AK question

INFM Drummer
07-05-2012, 7:37 PM
I'm looking into going featureless on my WASR 10/63. I am wondering if i can mount a forward sling mount or will this be considered "evil" because of the fact that one could "wrap the web of their hand" around it and the sling attached to it in a pistol style grip. It's such a grey area but some yay's or nay's from you guys would put me at ease. Thanks for the help.

The product im looking into mounting is:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/662526/daniel-defense-rail-mount-sling-adapter-with-heavy-duty-quick-detach-sling-swivel-ar-15-aluminum-matte

liberty47
07-05-2012, 8:34 PM
Can someone please clarify the legality of slings on rifles?
TYIA

NoNOS67
07-05-2012, 9:01 PM

NoNOS67
07-05-2012, 9:02 PM
Can someone please clarify the legality of slings on rifles?
TYIA

Slings are a non-issue. No AW implications that I am aware of.

Chaos47
07-05-2012, 9:52 PM
Legal.

Evil features are:

Penal Code 12276.1.
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

Definition of forward grip is
(c) "forward pistol grip" means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp forward of the trigger.

From the SB23 FINAL STATEMENT OF REASONS
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/regs/fsor.pdf

978.20 (c) - Forward Pistol Grip
The proposed definition originally noticed to the public defined a forward pistol grip as “any
protrusion in front of the trigger that is designed or intended to grasp and control the firearm.” As
a result of public comment during the initial comment period (December 31, 1999 through
February 28, 2000), the Department determined the term “any protrusion” appeared to lack clarity
in that it could include many shooting accessories or parts of the firearm that may be used to grasp
and control the firearm, but could not be considered forward pistol grips, such as sling swivels,
bipods and monopods, palm rests, etc. The definition was therefore revised by replacing “any
protrusion” with “a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp.” The Department believes that the
concept of a “pistol style grasp” is generally understood by persons affected by the regulations.
The revised definition: “forward pistol grip means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp
forward of the trigger” was then noticed to the public during the first 15-day comment period (May
10 through May 30, 2000). Although additional comments were received, no comments were
received during the first 15-day comment period that warranted additional revisions to the
definition.

B3.09 3 The definition exceeds the intent of the legislature
because sling fittings provide a pistol style grasp.

The Department disagrees with the comment. The revised definition specifies a
forward pistol grip must be a grip. While the capacity to be grasped is a necessary
criteria, it is not sufficient. Because sling fittings are not grips, they do not fall within
the definition of a forward pistol grip. The Department believes that reasonable people
would not consider a sling fitting a grip.

Full Clip
07-05-2012, 9:53 PM
You can put 50 such "forward sling mounts" on a featureless AK. (But not 51. The law is confusing that way.)

liberty47
07-05-2012, 9:59 PM
so no RVG's on an AR15 or AK47?

Chaos47
07-05-2012, 10:05 PM
so no RVG's on an AR15 or AK47?

Magpul RVG Rail Vertical Grip?

On a featureless? Defiantly not.

Magazine locked? Sure.

INFM Drummer
07-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the exact quotes Chaos. You're the man. Sounds like a go-ahead with the sling mount.

Chaos47
07-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the exact quotes Chaos. You're the man. Sounds like a go-ahead with the sling mount.

Yup no problem man! I did a lot of research when writing my featureless build guide (https://sites.google.com/site/featurelessrifleguide/).

Just to note that the "SB23 FINAL STATEMENT OF REASONS" is not law. It was something they where using when they wrote the law. But I would think it would be admissible in court.

Even without those points slings are not mentioned anywhere in the actual law. Laws tell us what is illegal, not what is legal, and therefore slings are legal :cool:

Fate
07-05-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm developing a man crush on Chaos47.

Chaos47
07-05-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm developing a man crush on Chaos47.

Hah! Fate you are one of the original featureless guru's!
I just took up the torch.. but I am honored that the master approves.