PDA

View Full Version : 1st pistol

r3drum1
07-05-2012, 5:12 PM
Been researcher and looking at the MP9, MP9C, or XD9 all in 9 mm. Not looking to CCW, but easily able to carry around for camping. Maybe visit the range maybe once or twice a month but mostly will stay home probably in a safe. As a 1st pistol/gun, which should I go with? I would consider .40cal as I won't hit the range much, but from what I hear, the recoil would be much stronger. I mostly like the MP9C due to the size, I can grip all 3 pistols just fine tho. If I do get 1, I doubt I will be able to pick up another pistol for a while, a 2nd pistol will most likely be SA/DA like a SIG or CZ P-01. Any advice?

UPDATE: Went with a MP9C, just ordered from UGimports.com, waiting for it to arrice to start DROS. Checked out the full size M&P9 at the GS, grips fine, but I just feel the MP9C was a bit better. Just my opinion.

wurger
07-05-2012, 5:19 PM
.40 SW recoil is a little stronger, not "much" stronger. There isn't a lot of difference shooting my Glock 35 with .40 or 9mm with a conversion barrel. The G35 doesn't recoil that much more with .40 SW than my XD9 does shooting 9mm.

dem0critus
07-05-2012, 5:23 PM
Honestly the recoil on a .40 is not that much more than a 9mm. Best thing for you to do is just go to the range, try a bunch of different handguns/calibers, and then choose which one you like best. There's TONS of threads on this forum discussing the exact question your asking, so search around and you'll find some really good tips/info.

Jayson_L
07-05-2012, 5:26 PM
I say try holding/renting a glock at the range. I loved it as my first.

r3drum1
07-05-2012, 5:35 PM
THanks, I have been researching, checking out forums for the past couple months. I probably made up my mind and changed it half a dozen times. I just don't have the luxury of going to a range nearby where you can rent a pistol. Also I doubt I will be able to make anohter pistol purchase soon after the 1st one which is why I need to make the right choice. I'm under the impression you can't go wrong with either mp9 or XD9 tho.

Euphoria526
07-05-2012, 5:57 PM
Can't say for the mp9, but xd's are very nice. I personally do not like glock's much, if your even considering a CZ p-01, I'd say buy that, very reliable, the p-01 has VERY little recoil and very accurate. Or if you can find a CZ 75b in 9 get that as well. Lil heavier then the p-01 but worth every penny. That and the da/SA on the p01 is very nice as well

$nake-Eye$
07-05-2012, 6:18 PM
Have not shot any of the M&P's but a lot of the threads here mention they are good but really need an "Apex" trigger job. That must be the company name, I am guessing. But, after the trigger job, people seem to really like them.

My first gun was a 2nd Gen Glock 19 back in 1993 and it has faithfully served me well to this day. No FTE or FTF with routine cleaning and maintenance trips to the Glock armorer every so often to make sure all the inner workings are in good shape. The ergonomics of the grip aren't as nice as the M&Ps but it goes bang every time.

Recently jumped on the Walther band wagon, though, with the purchase of my Walther PPQ in 9mm; 007's favorite handgun get's an update:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/weapons/the-walther-ppq-007s-favorite-handgun-gets-an-update-7865938

Expensive in CA due to the "off roster" status but has a huge fan club if you believe all the hype on the internet. Will shoot it for the first time this weekend and we will see if I drink the Koolaid or not...:cool2:

r3drum1
07-05-2012, 6:18 PM
P-01 is pretty much impossible to find here in CA, also theres a big price difference, for a 1st, I really dont want to go over 600$. Does the beaver tail on the XD give anyone problems? I like the look of the XD over the full size MP9, however I can't help but feel the XD because of more parts can potentially have more problems.

Euphoria526
07-05-2012, 6:31 PM
Lol funny you mention that.last I SAW there was still a p01 up at oaktree in newhall It's where I got both my p01 and 75b SA You can also find cz 75's in .9/.40/.45 at gun world In Burbank went last weekend looking for mags and they have all 3 last I checked.
True about the price, but you can find 75b's for mid to low

$nake-Eye$
07-05-2012, 6:33 PM
Once again not sure about the M&Ps but price-wise there are always advertised deals on the XDs. I see ads all the time for them in Turner's for one source.

I have the XDM so I'm not sure how valid a comparison is with the internal workings of an XD, but I've had it for over a year with steady shooting and routine cleaning and it has worked fine. The one Achilles heel is the striker retaining pin which may break from excessive dry-firing and cause the striker to not function correctly/be out of position. Some have reported the gun still working but I would not fire it with a broken pin. This is easily remedied by buying an after market (much thicker) pin and have a gun armorer replace the stock pin. My stock pin never broke but I replaced it anyway proactively.

You really can't go wrong with either and I will go with the advice most if not all shooters say on this forum. Shoot both if you can find them (rent or friends or other Calgunners in your area) and decide upon the feel and your accuracy vs. any one else's experience.

SE

P-01 is pretty much impossible to find here in CA, also theres a big price difference, for a 1st, I really dont want to go over 600$. Does the beaver tail on the XD give anyone problems? I like the look of the XD over the full size MP9, however I can't help but feel the XD because of more parts can potentially have more problems.

JON KARGATHALON
07-05-2012, 6:39 PM
Be like me, Beretta Px4 storm in 9mm or 40. My first pistol, and the best choice i have ever made :) the SA/DA is awesome, and the SA is butter smooth, almost a hair trigger:D

r3drum1
07-05-2012, 6:53 PM
Didnt know about the pin, pretty risky/dangerous, how would you know if one was going bad? I dont think I'll be dry firing much, maybe get snapcaps, but this changes my lean towards XD abit. Thanks for the info

Euphoria526
07-05-2012, 7:08 PM
Pretty sure you won't be dissapointed by it at all. In either .9 or .40. Accurate reliable and fun to shoot.
My .2- my first pistol IS a CZ p-01 for reference, and i love it!!!

doc66
07-05-2012, 7:37 PM
Hey Drum I started out like you with my first purchase. I just brought home my first Sig! Never thought I could ever afford one. Look into the Sig Sauer SP 2022. Comes in both 9mm and .40 cal. Can't wait to go to the range. But I did the reviews before the purchase- don't think you will be disappointed. Also cheaper then the guns you're looking at- by at least $70 bucks or so. Good luck. Oh btw I would go with the M&P too. Smith Wesson was my first gun purchase ever

r3drum1
07-05-2012, 8:05 PM
Hey Drum I started out like you with my first purchase. I just brought home my first Sig! Never thought I could ever afford one. Look into the Sig Sauer SP 2022. Comes in both 9mm and .40 cal. Can't wait to go to the range. But I did the reviews before the purchase- don't think you will be disappointed. Also cheaper then the guns you're looking at- by at least $70 bucks or so. Good luck. Oh btw I would go with the M&P too. Smith Wesson was my first gun purchase ever

I seriously considered the sp2022 as well, great reviews, did yours come with 1 mag or 2? I hear the mags are expensive and hard to find.

RDT
07-05-2012, 8:31 PM
Agreed with all posts above. Try shooting both calibers first and decide by what you can control better, in a SHTF situation shots on target beat a bigger hole off the target any day. As far as choice both M&P and the XD are fine pistols. I have shot the M&P and XD multiple times. I prefer the XD's trigger a touch better, although the interchanging of the back straps on the M&P is a nice option.. You can't go wrong with either.

allright
07-05-2012, 9:00 PM
r3drum
CZ Custom has a P-01 right now, it's a good price, $533.60. They are really good to deal with, and I have bought two pistols from them this year alone. Go to this link, could be gone in a day

http://czcustom.com/CZ-P01-9mm.aspx

http://www.cz-usa.com/assets/cache/c7/22/c72281f98a202c35a041b7b040c03fa2.png

From the CZ website

February 2003
The P-01 is now a NATO classified pistol and issued the NATO stock number NSN 1005-16-000-8619.

The CZ P-01 is the culmination of several years of exhaustive design and testing. Ceska Zbrojovka has always had some of the most rigorous testing requirements in the world but, the Czech National police has required that they go even further, the testing regiment for this new pistol was the most demanding anyone has ever encountered. There are almost 20 specific requirements covering everything from accuracy to interchangability, from safety to reliability/durability and everything in between.

The pistol: The CZ P-01 is a Gen 3 pistol that began as a requirement for a lightweight compact pistol that will deliver the accuracy and durability of a full size, full weight pistol. This was no small task, several manufacturers declined to even start the project.

The first thing you notice about this pistol is the M3 light rail on the frame, a first for CZ, the alloy frame is a little wider at the top than a steel CZ 75. This adds strength and rigidity for mounting the light and increasing the accuracy and service life of the pistol. The P-01 also sports enhanced controls as well as a drop free magazine and a lanyard loop.

The pistol was required to pass a wide variety of tests:

The police required that the pistol ensure the highest level of comfort, an extended slide release was added as well as an extended magazine release and the trigger was reshaped to give a more consistent pull throughout the trigger stroke.

The pistol must be 100% reliable in extreme conditions, the following is a list of some of the minimum requirements.

Must be able to complete the following without failure:

4000 dry firings
3000 De-cockings
Operator level disassembly 1350 times with out ware or damage to components.
Complete disassembly 150 times, this is all the way down, pins, springs etc.
100% interchangability, any number of pistols randomly selected, disassembled, parts mixed and reassembled with no failures of any kind including loss of accuracy.

Safety requirements:

Drop test
1.5 meter (4.9”) drop test, this is done 54 times with the pistol loaded (blank) and the hammer cocked. Dropping the pistol on the butt, the muzzle, back of the slide, sides of the gun, top of the slide, in essence, any angle that you could drop the gun from. This is done on concrete and 0 failures are allowed! A failure is the gun firing.

3meter drop (9.8”) 5 times with the pistol loaded (blank) and the hammer cocked, This is done on concrete and 0 failures are allowed! A failure is the gun firing.

After these tests are complete the gun must fire without service.

The factory contracted an independent lab to do additional testing on guns that previously passed the drop tests. These pistol were dropped an additional 352 times without failure.

The pistol must also complete an environmental conditions test:
This means cold, heat, dust/sand and mud.
The pistol must fire after being frozen for 24 hours at –35C (-36F).
The pistol must fire after being heated for 24 hours at 70C (126F)
The pistol must fire after being submerged in mud, sand and combinations including being stripped of oil then completing the sand and mud tests again.

Service life:
The service life requirement from the Czech police was 15,000 rounds of +P ammo!
The pistol will exceed 30,000 rounds with ball 9mm.

Reliability:
The reliability requirements for the P-01 pistol are 99.8%, that’s a .2% failure rate.
This equals 20 stoppages in 10,000 rounds or 500 “Mean Rounds Between Failure” (MRBF)
During testing, the average number of stoppages was only 7 per 15,000 rounds fired, this is a .05% failure rate, a MRBF rate of 2142 rounds! Over 4 time the minimum acceptable requirement.
The U.S. Army MRBF requirement is 495 rounds for 9mm pistols with 115 grain Ball ammunition.

Heritage:
The P-01 is based on the CZ 75, the most used pistol in the world. Over 60 countries use it as the standard side arm of their Armies, National police forces, National security agencies or other Law enforcement organizations. No other pistol can make this claim.

pyromensch
07-05-2012, 9:14 PM
Have not shot any of the M&P's but a lot of the threads here mention they are good but really need an "Apex" trigger job. That must be the company name, I am guessing. But, after the trigger job, people seem to really like them.

My first gun was a 2nd Gen Glock 19 back in 1993 and it has faithfully served me well to this day. No FTE or FTF with routine cleaning and maintenance trips to the Glock armorer every so often to make sure all the inner workings are in good shape. The ergonomics of the grip aren't as nice as the M&Ps but it goes bang every time.

Recently jumped on the Walther band wagon, though, with the purchase of my Walther PPQ in 9mm; 007's favorite handgun get's an update:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/weapons/the-walther-ppq-007s-favorite-handgun-gets-an-update-7865938

Expensive in CA due to the "off roster" status but has a huge fan club if you believe all the hype on the internet. Will shoot it for the first time this weekend and we will see if I drink the Koolaid or not...:cool2:

i have 2 m&p45's, and am completely happy with the trigger, for what i use it for.......not shooting bullseye, at 75 yds. :)

and i was originally shopping for an XD, but i picked up an M&P, and that was a sale.

RaceDay
07-05-2012, 9:25 PM
Been researcher and looking at the MP9, MP9C, or XD9 all in 9 mm. Not looking to CCW, but easily able to carry around for camping. Maybe visit the range maybe once or twice a month but mostly will stay home probably in a safe. As a 1st pistol/gun, which should I go with? I would consider .40cal as I won't hit the range much, but from what I hear, the recoil would be much stronger. I mostly like the MP9C due to the size, I can grip all 3 pistols just fine tho. If I do get 1, I doubt I will be able to pick up another pistol for a while, a 2nd pistol will most likely be SA/DA like a SIG or CZ P-01. Any advice?

Good choices. I'd recommend 9mm just because recoil is lighter and ammo is cheaper. Lighter recoil should mean less chance for flinching and other bad habits. The cheaper ammo means more trigger time. 9mm is smaller/weaker/blah blah blah but odds are you aren't going to need it for self defense and the modern (HST, Ranger-T) HP loads would do the job and then some on a bad guy. So I'd just get the 9.

Any of your choices will be good. I've got MP9 and also Sig/CZs. Everything you listed is an A list gun so you can't go wrong as long as they fit you.

Euphoria526
07-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Yeah I was going to get a 2022 as well, but I found my 75b SA. I say go and rent or ask others to try AS MUCH AS YOU CAN before buying really. I went through at least 20 guns before I even tried my CZ which I bought.

doc66
07-05-2012, 10:35 PM
The 2022 comes with one mag. If you look at the marketplace here you can find sellers. One in particulate sells Em $20 each and ships. So def look into it... Like everyone says.. All your choices are good. Purchase like this pretty important so call the diff ranges in your area and ask what they have for rent. Good luck again...