PDA

View Full Version : An appeal aimed at securing our right to shoot on public land

vincewarde
07-05-2012, 4:11 PM
My wife and I spent the 4th at one of our favorite shooting locations in the Eldorado National Forest. It was fun, but the amount of trash left behind by others was not.

It is very clear that a minority of shooters enjoy shooting at trash, TV sets, printer cartridges, metal siding, pots and pans and numerous other household objects - because before we began shooting we cleared a huge amount of this material from one, small shooting area - plus approximately 300 expended 12ga shotgun shells and the box they were delivered in complete with the buyers name and address!

We all need to remember that when we leave this stuff behind, we are giving the antis the ammo they need to close public land to target shooting. With this in mind - and without accusing anyone in this online community - I am making two appeals:

1) Please clean up your own mess. Consider using traps to catch your empties so they are easier to clean up. Remember that while small brass casings (like .22 RF) will quickly weather and blend in, plastic, steel and larger brass empties really stand out. Also clean up what you shoot at. I know that most of us already do this.

2) When you use your favorite shooting spot, please consider bringing an extra couple of trash bags to fill with garbage left behind by less responsible shooters. If we all did this, we could really reduce the impact of those who are less responsible.

Finally, I know that many groups already clean popular shooting areas (my local gun club cleans shooting areas about once a year). This is fantastic. Sadly, it is not enough.

Let's all take ownership of our public shooting areas and leave them cleaner than we found them.

Administrator: I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.

zonzin
07-05-2012, 4:20 PM
Here here!!! I totaly agree. There's pigs in every crowd,, lets not let them say we have them.

We were up camping in Jackson Demo Forest this past weekend and did a little mountain biking. Out off road 720 I think it is,, there is an old quarry shooters use as a range. It looked like a garbage dump though. I was appalled at the trash shooters hauled in there as targets and then left as trash. It was really disgusting and I would have been embarrassed to admit to any of the local mountain bikers that I was also a gun enthusiast.

Clean up after yourselves folks!! Its not that hard.

killmime1234
07-05-2012, 4:26 PM
Amen. It's really not that hard to rake up some shells/casings and pick up your targets. It's well worth the right we have to shoot at these places to just take the time to keep them presentable.

68Datsun510
07-05-2012, 9:59 PM
Couldnt agree more, i shoot out there a lot and am shocked by what I find sometimes. I myself have blasted some household items, BUT I TAKE IT HOME!

vincewarde
07-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Couldnt agree more, i shoot out there a lot and am shocked by what I find sometimes. I myself have blasted some household items, BUT I TAKE IT HOME!

Thank you for doing so!

I have noticed that the "main area" is much cleaner - perhaps due to EDRC cleanup, perhaps due to stepped up enforcement. This area is nearby at the end of a logging road and does not normally get as much use.

M1A Rifleman
07-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Well said.

Shotgun Man
07-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I got to remind myself to pick up my casings. Sometimes you so caught up in the hunt, you forget. Plus, a lot of other people don't do it either, so that lessens your resolve.

jdouglas
07-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Brass casings are worth something if you reload (or sell/give to someone that does), so at a bare minimum, pick up the brass you shoot. (As much of it as you can find anyway; it seems I always lose around 5-10% of my brass.)

I agree though, please be nice and only use biodegradeable targets or else pack out the shot-up remains of non-biodegradeable targets.

eldonvieira
07-06-2012, 5:49 AM
And if you see someone leaving trash talk to them

lgm118icbm
07-06-2012, 7:54 AM
I always try to leave the place cleaner than I found it which means that sometimes I spend more time picking up trash than I do shooting but that is a small price to pay.

JackRydden224
07-06-2012, 8:09 AM
I'll play devil's advocate for second.

For every Calgunner that cleans up after themselves how many other do you think that leaves a mess to be cleaned up?

Skidmark
07-06-2012, 8:24 AM
I appreciate your sentiment, and concur with your suggestions - people who trash any part of our public lands are irresponsible idiots who make it difficult for the rest of us. But how do you construe that we have a "right" to shoot on public lands? We don't have that right - rather we are granted the privilege to shoot there, and that privilege is easily revoked or constrained by public lands agency managers. Being on our best behaviour while enjoying our public lands will help ensure continued access to those lands for the activities we enjoy and pursue there.

Curley Red
07-06-2012, 9:12 AM
I have stopped shooting in the El Dorado National forest for the one reason I am sick and tired of cleaning up other peoples trash. Along with empty shell boxes and shells there is also plenty of glass beer bottles and the crap they bring out to shoot. And they are the ones that cry "how come I can't shoot here anymore?". Maybe because your a bunch of pigs. But there are pigs in every group. I spend most of my time fly fishing and the amount of trash from fisherman is just as bad and sometimes worse.

FamilyofShooters
07-06-2012, 10:16 AM
great post...I couldn't agree with you more. We are nearly out of shooting spots here in So. Ca. because of these very irresponsible people. We ALWAYS bring tarps to catch our brass. It is the grand kids job to help pick up and separate the casings if they want to shoot, and they have gotten very good at it. My sons and I have spent countless hours pick up people's trash and such. As a matter of fact, last Saturday someone left a 5 foot tall cat scratcher stand all shot to hell right in the middle of the road. Who the hell brings something like that out to the middle of the desert? And people wonder why I'm hesitant to share what few good spots are left.

Fate
07-06-2012, 1:30 PM
You should mail the box of empties back to their owner with a note.

Bupkus
07-06-2012, 1:59 PM
The last week of June, I went camping at Lake Pillsbury in the Mendocino National Forest. The popular shooting area is at the end of a dirt airstrip. Same thing there. The place looked like the town dump. Also a lot of the trash was getting blown down wind and spreading over a large area. I'll show my bias here. The Forest Service isn't much good at coming up with proactive solutions to problems. Their first response is to close an area and/or prohibit the activity. Lake Pillsbury is a great place to shoot and do a lot of other activities. I'd sure hate to see shooting prohibited there. Cleaning up after yourself and taking home some extra trash will only make a small dent. That area needs a regular and reoccurring organized clean up.

EM2
07-06-2012, 2:59 PM
It's commendable that everyone is understanding of this problem and seeks methods to help.

I would guess that most of the members here are aware of the range clean up forum but I will post this link for those who are not.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=161

you can organize a clean up any time you like and me be surprised at the possitive response you may get.

TimRB
07-06-2012, 3:06 PM
If you clean up trash in a national forest, will they let you leave it in the dumpster at the ranger station? Like many here I have hauled trash home, but I think it would help motivate a lot of people, especially organized groups, if they could get rid of the junk for free.

Tim

EM2
07-06-2012, 3:20 PM
If you clean up trash in a national forest, will they let you leave it in the dumpster at the ranger station? Like many here I have hauled trash home, but I think it would help motivate a lot of people, especially organized groups, if they could get rid of the junk for free.

Tim

I don't know but one could always ask.

I do not see a problem if the dumpster is accessible to and for public use such as those found at campgrounds.

Logic would hold that we do not overload these dumpsters so have a back up plan just in case.

radioburning
07-06-2012, 3:35 PM
plus approximately 300 expended 12ga shotgun shells and the box they were delivered in complete with the buyers name and address!

Sounds like that guy would appreciate all that stuff being placed on his lawn with a note "you forgot this...".:cool2:

Capybara
07-06-2012, 4:08 PM
Two words - ice targets.

stix213
07-06-2012, 5:24 PM
The place I go is not well known, but whenever I go there I pick up all casings I see, not just mine. I'd encourage everyone else to do the same.

ElvenSoul
07-06-2012, 5:49 PM
You know the State has the HSC and Hunter Ed. Why is not keeping your enviroment clean part of the curiculum of these?