PDA

View Full Version : ar15 laws question

1badman
07-05-2012, 2:57 PM
I have read some of the threads that some have mentions on ca legal aw. If they are suppose legal why are people suggesting to avoid LE and don't tell anyone like it is illegal? Correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm at a range and a LE officer sees me change a magazine he can bust me for having a AW. That's what it sounds like to me. On YouTube someone demo a mag lock and the caption read not filmed in California. Someone else said you don't want to get caught with your ca legal ar15 WTF. It's seems owning one is more problem then fun if you have to watch where you go shoot or don't shoot at all.

Librarian
07-05-2012, 3:29 PM
I have read some of the threads that some have mentions on ca legal aw.

If they are suppose legal why are people suggesting to avoid LE and don't tell anyone like it is illegal?

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm at a range and a LE officer sees me change a magazine he can bust me for having a AW. That's what it sounds like to me.

On YouTube someone demo a mag lock and the caption read not filmed in California. Someone else said you don't want to get caught with your ca legal ar15 WTF.

It's seems owning one is more problem then fun if you have to watch where you go shoot or don't shoot at all.

The only legal CA 'assault weapons' are the registered ones, RAW. All the other ar-type, and other design, semi-auto rifles are the ones carefully configured NOT to be an 'assault weapon'.

What you describe is becoming known as BGOS - Battered Gun Owner Syndrome.

The point of a 'bullet button' is, in fact, to allow dropping of an empty mag and inserting another, using a tool to operate the mag release. No range officer or LEO has cause to bother you if your rifle is properly equipped. (That doesn't mean they won't - a few agencies seem to be slow about training their officers, and there is some discussion in court [Haynie] about interpreting the law.)

1badman
07-05-2012, 4:10 PM
I really want to start a at build but if I have to hide the rifle that would suck.

Arkangel
07-05-2012, 4:42 PM
This was a concer in 2007-2008, these days I can't hit the range without seeing a BB'd AR. Carry a copy of the flowchart and if you want the PCs themselves. Like Librarian said MOST LEAs have caught on and trained their LEOs, but insurance never hurts.

Sniper3142
07-05-2012, 6:08 PM
I really want to start a at build but if I have to hide the rifle that would suck.

You don't have to hide it as long as it is a LEGAL configuration.

The only real problem is that those charged with Enforcing the Law (Law Enforcement Officers or LEOs), often Do Not KNOW the Law. And this can cause issues where they harrass lawful firearm owners for non-issues.

And ignorance is NO EXCUSE for anyone not knowing the law.

sickboybrad
07-05-2012, 6:40 PM
The only problem Ive ever had with ar15 type rifle, with bullet button.
The LEO next to me said "nice rifle why do you use a bullet to drop the mag", I respond with "its the law" LEO "that's stupid"
b

1badman
07-05-2012, 7:30 PM
So just for changing the mag and reloading a new mag they can't get you for those 5 sec. That the bullet button tool is on the rifle.

Arkangel
07-05-2012, 7:45 PM
So just for changing the mag and reloading a new mag they can't get you for those 5 sec. That the bullet button tool is on the rifle.

Tools that attach to the BB ( like the mag magnet are no no's). A bullet or g-pick or any other device or item is g2g as long as it remains independent of the rifle.

sickboybrad
07-05-2012, 7:49 PM
I don't think the tool can be attached to the rifle, it has to be free of the rifle (i think).
This is the current problem with the magnet tool thing (right?). It sticks to the bullet button and makes it an California assault rifle. By the the way an assault rifle is full auto/ machine gun. Not easy to come by or easy to own, in most cases. The ar 15 type rifles are all semi auto, and are long rifles, nothing more. I think if it sticks or is attached its considered uncalifornian.
b

dmax11
07-05-2012, 7:51 PM

the only BB tools that are illegal are ones that stay attached to the BB like the mag magnet. if the tool is not attached to the rifle its completely legal to drop a mag with anything that will depress the BB. one of the reasons this came to be legal is because of the SKS you can do the same thing although not as easily with a fixed mag SKS, the SKS requires a tool of any sort that can depress the trigger group latch and stock SKS come with said tool in their cleaning kit in the butt stock once the trigger group is out you can remove the mag and insert a new one then snap it back together. its not as fast or convenient as a BB on an AR/AK but follows the same practice of having to use a tool to remove the otherwise fixed mag.

bottom line is as long as you cannot press a button with ONLY your finger to remove a mag its CA legal as a fixed mag.

edit: a grey area is attaching a BB tool to the rifle so that its easy to access and can depress the BB, this is generally considered just as illegal as a mag magnet but not as defeating the purpose of the BB as the mag magnet which basically defeats the purpose of the BB in the first place, however it is considered completely legal to have a BB tool attached to say the end of your mags so that you can use the new mag as a tool to drop the spent mag but while said mag is attached to the rifle its impossible to use said tool attached to the mag to depress the BB because its fixed to the mag body away from the BB. this is backed up by the fact that CA legal SKS's have a tool capable of detaching their mag in the tool kit in the butt stock as i mentioned above.

bohoki
07-05-2012, 7:54 PM
i was up at cow mountain and the ranger said if he sees an assault weapon and the owner doesnt have the confirmation letter he will confiscate it

dmax11
07-05-2012, 7:59 PM
i was up at cow mountain and the ranger said if he sees an assault weapon and the owner doesnt have the confirmation letter he will confiscate it

then that ranger will loose in court unless it truely is an AW. BB rifles with "evil" banned features are legal in CA as long as they have a 10 round or less fixed mag

Arkangel
07-05-2012, 8:05 PM

Can't tell if joking :confused:

killshot44
07-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Can't tell if joking :confused:

Post count indicates joke in progress.....

ICONIC
07-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Never had an issue with my bb'd AR.

1badman
07-06-2012, 5:28 AM
I see so it is more of the mag magnet that's a problem.

1badman
07-06-2012, 5:29 AM
Thanks for the info.

Sniper3142
07-06-2012, 11:30 AM

Not going to happen.

There is NO REQUIREMENT to carry your AW registration paperwork with you. Any any LEO trying to take an AW for lack of paperwork would be stealing.

And there are multiple ways to handle thieves. :D