View Full Version : fishing out of dana point

07-05-2012, 12:57 PM
I am thinking about taking my wife ocean fishing on a half day boat with dana wharf. It will be her first time. I have gone a few times but don't know much about ocean fishing.
Has anyone gone recently? Is there any special gear to bring?
Is it a good time of the year to catch something. I was planning to do the late half day which is our only option due to our kids.
Any tips would be great thanks brian.

07-05-2012, 1:03 PM
You should probably check with the landing. They'll be able to give you the skinny on what's biting, the tackle to use etc. They'll probably have rental rods and reels that you can use.

That said, my guess is rockfish or something on the kelp like calico bass. Sand bass has been showing up too.

The fishing gear is pretty basic. 20lb mono, 1 to 1/0 hooks, etc. Kelp is more specialized if you throw jigs. But if the boat has fin bait (or squid) then you can either fly line or rig with a 1/2 egg sinker. Dropper loops work too. But like I said, the landing should have info and then be able to supply any tackle you'll be needing. Pay attention to what the crew says and don't be afraid to ask the deck hands for help.

07-05-2012, 2:36 PM
if it's her first time- better get dramamine( non-drowsy) nothing worse than a sick wife when you're trying to have fun.

07-05-2012, 7:20 PM
If youre new to it, ask the lady at the counter for any recommendations then of course get a deck hand to rig you up. They'll know whats biting at each stop. If you rent tackle from them it'll either penn 500s with 20lb mono or a spinning outfit loaded with the same mono. You really cant go wrong with a 1/0 hook and an egg sinker for bass and double droppers for rockfish. If barracuda are still in town then flyline a nice dine with no weight. As for the dramamine, IMO the ocean down here is like lake water so maybe its not needed. Best of luck.