PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire tubular magazines.

corrosively_armed
07-05-2012, 11:21 AM
I know there is a provision in the law that allows the greater than 10 round capacity tubular magazines in 22s. There is no reason why you could not create a longer tube that coils around on the end of the rifle. It could 'hang' beneath the barrel or even curve down and back to a coil back near the trigger. A stiff steel cable with a strong spring at the bottom end would be the plunger. You would first load your 17 rounds or whatever into the standard tube that is affixed to the gun and then in place of the normal plunger that you slide in after them you would use the extension magazine.

I have ideas of how you could create tubular magazines for larger calibers as well. Would tubular magazines greater than 10 rounds be allowed on centerfire guns?

Librarian
07-05-2012, 11:29 AM
I know there is a provision in the law that allows the greater than 10 round capacity tubular magazines in 22s. There is no reason why you could not create a longer tube that coils around on the end of the rifle. It could 'hang' beneath the barrel or even curve down and back to a coil back near the trigger. A stiff steel cable with a strong spring at the bottom end would be the plunger. You would first load your 17 rounds or whatever into the standard tube that is affixed to the gun and then in place of the normal plunger that you slide in after them you would use the extension magazine.

I have ideas of how you could create tubular magazines for larger calibers as well. Would tubular magazines greater than 10 rounds be allowed on centerfire guns?

Only lever-action firearms: 16740.
As used in this part, “large-capacity magazine” means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:

(a) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

(b) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.

(c) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

jwkincal
07-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Only lever-action firearms:

Not to sharpshoot the master here, but doesn't 16740(b) specifically exempt a tube-fed 22 regardless of action type?

707electrician
07-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Not to sharpshoot the master here, but doesn't 16740(b) specifically exempt a tube-fed 22 regardless of action type?

A rimfire .22 yes but his aswer was directed toward the question about centerfire rifles

Californio
07-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Regardless, Pointy Bullets don't work well in tubes, they tend to ignite primers.

corrosively_armed
07-05-2012, 11:45 AM
You can buy semi auto 22s with 17 round tube fed magazines. I'm just saying you could make those tubes longer by coiling them. Yeah since the law specifically says 22 you couldn't adapt it to other calibers but i dont see why you couldn't make a 22 tube longer or even adapt it to feed into a standard 10/22 with an upward firing plunger arrangement to feed the cartridge into the breach.

littlejake
07-05-2012, 6:09 PM
The 22 tubular mag and lever action tubular mag as pointed out by Librarian were put in to exempt collectors of .22 rifles and lever action centerfire such as the Winchester lever action repeaters.

If you start experimenting with that exemption, you walk the knife edge of the law; and may risk your liberty and the exemption collectors have had.

corrosively_armed
07-05-2012, 9:25 PM
I don't think I'm explaining myself correctly. I am referring to modern guns and the fact that you can go out and buy(last i checked) a model 60 marlin with greater than 10 rounds capacity in it's loading tube and be perfectly legal in so doing. There is no law that says how many rounds that tube can hold. I would think you could make a drop in magazine that is coiled which would slide in place of the original plunger. I have not had a semi auto 22 in a long time but as I recall this would be very simple to do mechanically. The point is to have a high capacity magazine like the 50 rounds etc that you can buy in Cabelas catalogs etc only in a coiled format for model 60 marlins but I think it may even be adaptable with some clever engineering to a clip fed semi auto as well but that may not meet the requirement of the law. The coil add in in place of the plunger on a typical semi auto tube fed 22 would though. You could have a coil that went parallel to the barrel all the way up to the stock if you wanted to. With the right kind of spring assembly it should work fine. The only catch is that you would have to load the first 17 rounds or whatever the integral tube holds and then use the coiled tube extension instead of inserting the normal plunger/'magazine' follower.

Just think it would be a cool idea to see implemented.

Saber2Golf
07-05-2012, 9:47 PM
I don't think I'm explaining myself correctly. I am referring to modern guns and the fact that you can go out and buy(last i checked) a model 60 marlin with greater than 10 rounds capacity in it's loading tube and be perfectly legal in so doing. There is no law that says how many rounds that tube can hold. I would think you could make a drop in magazine that is coiled which would slide in place of the original plunger. I have not had a semi auto 22 in a long time but as I recall this would be very simple to do mechanically. The point is to have a high capacity magazine like the 50 rounds etc that you can buy in Cabelas catalogs etc only in a coiled format for model 60 marlins but I think it may even be adaptable with some clever engineering to a clip fed semi auto as well but that may not meet the requirement of the law. The coil add in in place of the plunger on a typical semi auto tube fed 22 would though. You could have a coil that went parallel to the barrel all the way up to the stock if you wanted to. With the right kind of spring assembly it should work fine. The only catch is that you would have to load the first 17 rounds or whatever the integral tube holds and then use the coiled tube extension instead of inserting the normal plunger/'magazine' follower.

Just think it would be a cool idea to see implemented.

I don't think anyone misunderstood you. What the other posters were saying is the tube magazine exemption is in place for certain models of firearms dating way back, and their collectors. By "exploiting" the exemption and creating an aftermarket/custom part that (for example) makes a Marlin Model 60 hold 100rds, you might attract unwanted attention to the exemption...and that unwanted attention may conclude with the removal of the exemption all together because some bay area news channel does a tabloid piece on a "New, nearly silent, 100rd capacity death machine" (known to us as a lever action .22 short with your spiral magazine attached). And we all know that's how the news would paint such a thing if they caught wind of it.

Shotgun Man
07-05-2012, 10:18 PM
I don't think anyone misunderstood you. What the other posters were saying is the tube magazine exemption is in place for certain models of firearms dating way back, and their collectors. By "exploiting" the exemption and creating an aftermarket/custom part that (for example) makes a Marlin Model 60 hold 100rds, you might attract unwanted attention to the exemption...and that unwanted attention may conclude with the removal of the exemption all together because some bay area news channel does a tabloid piece on a "New, nearly silent, 100rd capacity death machine" (known to us as a lever action .22 short with your spiral magazine attached). And we all know that's how the news would paint such a thing if they caught wind of it.

Marlin Model 60 is a semi-automatic, not a lever action.

Tubular mags greater than ten rounds are legal for .22 (the law doesn't even specify what exact caliber) and lever action center-fires (regardless of the caliber).

I don't see the concern that you state unless we shouldn't have gun at all lest the media depict them in a negative light.

Quiet
07-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Like to point out there is no rimfire exemption.

What is exempt:
.22 caliber fixed tubular magazine on any type of firearm (handgun, rifle, shotgun or other) [PC 16740(b)]
any caliber fixed tubular magazine on a lever-action firearm (handgun, rifle, shotgun or other) [PC 16740(c)]

The law states .22 caliber, so this includes .22 caliber rimfire cartridges and .22 caliber centerfire cartridges.

Penal Code 16740
As used in this part, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(a) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(b) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(c) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

Saber2Golf
07-06-2012, 5:21 AM
Marlin Model 60 is a semi-automatic, not a lever action.

Tubular mags greater than ten rounds are legal for .22 (the law doesn't even specify what exact caliber) and lever action center-fires (regardless of the caliber).

I don't see the concern that you state unless we shouldn't have gun at all lest the media depict them in a negative light.

I wasn't saying they were the same gun, I used the Model 60 as one example, and used a lever action .22 short as the media's "worst case scenario" gun because they're quiet. Also, it's not my concern, I was trying to explain what others were telling the OP.

glockman19
07-06-2012, 8:10 AM
Only lever-action firearms:

Not entirely correct...My Marlin 981t holds more than 10 rounds, is tube fed, and is a bolt action rifle.

mej16489
07-06-2012, 9:25 AM
Not entirely correct...My Marlin 981t holds more than 10 rounds, is tube fed, and is a bolt action rifle.

Librarian was specifically referencing a question about non-.22 caliber centerfire tubular magazines.