PDA

View Full Version : Mod Saiga 223 without trigerring 922r?

JCM
07-05-2012, 7:19 AM
Ok I know there will be some people who'll say "search!" but its all very confusing still.

Just picked up a Saiga .223 and even though the consensus is definitely to just go ahead and convert it that would probably be way further down the line.

So my question is... what can I do, how far can I go with it without triggering 922r?

From what I've read it looks like I can add a sling to it and buy ammo. Nothing else... even have to stick with the factory magazines. Am I correct?

Intended use for this is just plinking really and the cool factor in having the Russian gun (and the price kept going up so snagged one before it got too high).

I like the look of some of the forearms/handguards compared to out of the box.

Thanks.

Quiet
07-05-2012, 7:39 AM
You can add a scope.
You can add a bipod.
You can only use 10 round or less magazines.

JCM
07-05-2012, 8:40 AM
So looks like that's pretty much it.

Ok quick question about 922r... looks like I need 4 US made parts.

If I add the Tapco Intrafuse pistol grip stock (keeping the fcg in original location):
http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-84/TAPCO-SAIGA-T6-INTRAFUSE/Detail that counts as 2 parts.

Does that mean I can then just stick to US made magazines (which count as 3 parts) and I'd be ok?

If so seems like the easiest way to get started on the road to full conversion.

But it seems too easy and I'm probably wrong... :)

JBaus
07-05-2012, 9:00 AM
Once you add the pistol grip..it becomes an evil weapon. You need to either add the kydex grip OR insert a bullet button. You though can change the forend and hand guard to a rail system to move from the polymer one.

I've been looking at a 7.62 saiga to convert myself.

JCM
07-05-2012, 9:11 AM
Once you add the pistol grip..it becomes an evil weapon. You need to either add the kydex grip OR insert a bullet button. You though can change the forend and hand guard to a rail system to move from the polymer one.

I've been looking at a 7.62 saiga to convert myself.

Ah so its not as easy as I thought...

These laws are so crazy.

Thanks for the help.

zfields
07-05-2012, 9:12 AM
Please don't add that complete piece of crap stock...either do it right or don't do it at all.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

Gapmaster
07-14-2012, 10:37 PM
So, if a guy bought a brand new, completely stock. 223 Saiga, took it home, sdded a sling, then ordered 3 "10" round Surefire magazines, is that legal or is something screwed up now because the Surefire magazines increase the USA part count and ny not ising the factory magazine it reduces the foreign part count? Or if a guy wants to stay factory to keep it simple, where can factory mags be ordered from? Sheeesh! Any help on this. I"m confused to. Thanks, Don

paul0660
07-14-2012, 10:42 PM
922r is about manufacturing.

There is no law against possessing a gun which is not compliant.

There is no requirement that parts be marked with their country of origin.

In a world of confusing laws, this is the dumbest I can think of.

Safety1st
07-15-2012, 2:10 AM
So, if a guy bought a brand new, completely stock. 223 Saiga, took it home, sdded a sling, then ordered 3 "10" round Surefire magazines, is that legal or is something screwed up now because the Surefire magazines increase the USA part count and ny not ising the factory magazine it reduces the foreign part count? Or if a guy wants to stay factory to keep it simple, where can factory mags be ordered from? Sheeesh! Any help on this. I"m confused to. Thanks, Don

Stock .223 Saiga, do not use magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rds. You'll be fine with 10 rd. Surefire magazines. Don't know about .223 factory mags. I'm sure others can lead you in the right direction.

PEZHEAD265
07-15-2012, 4:57 AM
By adding a pistol grip you are adding a part to the list of 20.If a stock saiga has 14 peises by adding pistol grip you are making the count 15.With 922r the magic number is 10, you can't have more then that many foreign parts out of the list of 20.If you could stay away from using the mag as part of the count because if you insert a foreign mag by accident then you violated 922r.

PEZHEAD265
07-15-2012, 5:02 AM

Read this it makes 922r easy to understand.
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGkkaxsAJQgXIAww1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0Yjhwc2h qBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA01TWTAxMl83N Q--/SIG=125gps0c6/EXP=1342382385/**http%3a//home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html