PDA

View Full Version : Building a mid length AR?...Questions

odslim
07-05-2012, 1:27 AM
I'm aiming towards "16 mid length AR, primarily used for range use. Is there a difference in price if I were to choose a complete lower vs. putting one together. As in choosing my own parts kit, buffer, stock etc...? I hear great things about palmetto and rifle gear. I even like JD stripped lowers (San Diego made) and being that you can find them for $89+...

Off of the top of your head and without breaking the bank (kinda), what parts would you put together?? Given parts; cheek weld stock, ergo grip, 7-9" free float rail, and flip up front and rear sights.

TheThousands
07-05-2012, 1:42 AM
IMO there isn't much of a difference as long as you don't want any "special" parts like two-stage triggers or ambidextrous controls. Assembling your own lower really just lets you have more control of what bits and pieces go into/onto it. Price wise it's a bit cheaper to assemble your own. PSA classic lower build kit is $95 dollars right now and lets say $100 for a lower. So for ~$200 you can have a nice and reliable (if a bit plain) lower.

JD Machine makes nice lowers though :) My featureless is built on one and I love it.

BucDan
07-05-2012, 8:19 AM
Palmetto state armory STR build kit. Has everything on a lower that I like.

9" rail on a mid length with flip up sights? Odd, unless you want to show off the gas block. But sights, troy sights all the way.

odslim
07-05-2012, 8:27 AM
Palmetto state armory STR build kit. Has everything on a lower that I like.

9" rail on a mid length with flip up sights? Odd, unless you want to show off the gas block. But sights, troy sights all the way.

Oops, your right...don't wanna show off that fancy gas block. That's what I get for trying to start a thread at 1am half asleep.

BucDan
07-05-2012, 9:47 AM
But for the rail, quad rails are slowly being phased into being more modular like the Troy VTAC Extreme rail where the useless rails aren't there to cut you and saving some weight. I'm a big fan of the KAC URX III rail that keeps the quad rail look but removes the useless rails.