PDA

View Full Version : How many of you routinely hunt big game solo?

capnemo
07-04-2012, 12:36 PM
I try to hunt midweek mostly, I am hoping the game is less skittish than weekends. But that will usually mean solo. How many here routinely hunt deer/pigs big game solo and what is the biggest hazard? Snakes? Weed growers? Drunk hunters? Rabid man-eating mega mountain lions (nice kitty)?

What are the other advantages? Less noise, less human odor "footprint",
ability to hunt your own style, solitude....?

Disadvantages? Not able to do mini-drives. Hauling the harvest out yourself...
what else?

toby
07-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Me and I'm now 50.

napahunter
07-04-2012, 12:44 PM
I just like that I don't have to worry about my partner being to loud, or whatever else. Hunting big game alone is my favorite. The only thing that sucks about it, is when you kill one by yourself. That's a lot of work for one person. I'm usually wrecked for two days after a kill, packing all the meat out myself!

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-04-2012, 12:44 PM
I mostly hunt solo. pros- can hunt how ever you want, where ever you want, for as long as you want, no distractions. If you're willing to hunt alone, you'll spend a lot more time hunting.
cons-no help dragging game, boring evenings with no one to talk to at camp, no one to work with to 'work' a canyon, less eyes in the field usually mean less game spotted.

My biggest worry is taking a spill and getting injured with no one to help. Twist an ankle and roll down a ravine... can happen pretty fast and really ruin your day.

pieeater
07-04-2012, 12:58 PM
My biggest worry is taking a spill and getting injured with no one to help. Twist an ankle and roll down a ravine... can happen pretty fast and really ruin your day.

My biggest worry also, had one friend fall and get killed.And another buddys partner fell and was killed.

mif_slim
07-04-2012, 1:04 PM
Yeah, had my uncle get stalked by a mt. Lion, luckly he saw the kitty behind him at 20 yards and stood his ground. The kitty backed down and left him. If he didn't pay attention he would of been kitty food.

toby
07-04-2012, 1:08 PM
My only regret is sitting around a camp fire with no one to talk to, and not being able to share the Harvest and excitement should that moment come to life.......:(

DirtyDave
07-04-2012, 2:17 PM
I do probably 90% of my hunting solo. Big Game, small game, birds etc. I have plenty of hunting partners too. There are pros and cons to both, and I enjoy both equally.
Dont be scared of the "what ifs". Just be smart and have fun.

rooster85
07-04-2012, 2:33 PM
I rarely hunt with a partner anymore. I just give a general location of where i will be and when i should return and incase i miss the deadline somebody will know where to start looking for me. I have backpaked into miles of untamed cat country for many years and am unscathed, of course in Ca its not the critters you have to worry about, its people. Id much rather solo a hunt into thick backwoods than to go with a partner, but i enjoy solitude and am not much of "talker".

lewdogg21
07-04-2012, 4:27 PM
I hunt solo. Biggest fear is falling down and twisting an ankle, broken bone, torn up knee to where I can't get back to the truck. I prefer hunting with a partner but I don't have a hunting buddy within 1 hour from me (1 hour plus for them). I do a lot of 1/2 day hunts b/c of it.

rino
07-04-2012, 5:10 PM
I try not to but somtimes after work i run up to the local mountains for deer. I tell my hunting buddys Exactly where im going just in case and when i should be back. They know the spots so if somthing goes wrong they have a pinpoint location for emergency services

Rider1k
07-04-2012, 5:18 PM
I do but would rather hunt with a partner. Makes things easier if you get lucky.

mif_slim
07-04-2012, 6:36 PM
We go in groups but we hunt solo...everyone scatters before morning rises and all come back at night...that's when we tell all our stories. :)

outbrakeridah
07-04-2012, 7:27 PM
We go in groups but hunt solo. Same as mif_slim we get to share stories around the campfire.

Tanner68
07-04-2012, 9:06 PM
Biggest advantage is stealth. One guy makes a lot less noise, less scent, and less movement than a party. You don't have to worry about the other guys blowing a stalk, sky lining, forgetting noise discipline, etc.

The biggest concern about going solo is getting hurt and not having help to get out. Bad guys and mountain lions are distant concerns compared to that.

The other disadvantage is not having help field dressing and carrying game out. And of course, nobody to share all the cool stuff with.

With all that said, I like going hunting solo a lot.

taperxz
07-04-2012, 11:04 PM
I have no friends:shrug:

KIDRR
07-04-2012, 11:10 PM
There are tons of people out there and many on this forum that are dying to go hunting with a pro. PM me and I'll be there as long as I'm not working :D

bob7122
07-04-2012, 11:38 PM
my pops did when i was a kid. sometimes he would come home with a rash because he slipped and fell into poison ivy or oak (don't remember.)

he would always tell me that if i go solo then i should be careful and not travel through anything that looks dangerous.

the dangers are that you can get hurt and no one can help you immediately, crazies are more inclined to interact with you.

positives are that it is all up to you, if you make a mistake it is you, but you can get closer to an animal without having to worry about your group/partner. you can also move faster. you won't have to listen to somebody else talk/whine about being bored.

tankerman
07-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Solo hunting is one of the few activities that allows me to get a bit of peace and quiet.

duckman1
07-05-2012, 7:35 AM
Solo hunting has a fair amount of Pros and Cons.

Safety is number one in my book and when hunting alone you need a someone to know where to look and the timing of your adventure. You personally need to be prepared to wait for help if you are injured or become sick.

The solitude is great and you can really clear your head. You keep your own schedule and don't have to worry or be subject to any others. The down side is you preform all camp chores, cooking, clean up, camp etc.

Dressing and haul out require some planning so be prepared. You'll find out it's not difficult with some pre planning and the right tools.

My schedule allows me to take as much time as I would like when I hunt it's not always the same for my hunting partners. Often times I hunt with a group and alone on the same hunts. Due to scheduling many of them come and go as it fits.

DanD
07-05-2012, 10:19 AM
I tend to do both when it comes to either big game or waterfowl hunting. If I had to guess I would say 75% alone 25% with a partner. There are also a lot of big game hunts were I share a travel trailer or camp with another guy but we both end up hunting along.

Like others have stated if you are going out along just be careful and make sure somebody, hunting partner, wife or friend know your general wear a bouts and when you are scheduled to return.

Having a partner around after the kill especially if its an elk is very very helpful and another set of eyes behind the glass never hurts either.

jaymz
07-05-2012, 11:58 AM
I'll go solo on a fairly routine basis, but I'm usually with someone else. Packing out a kill on your own is a *****!

billetmann
07-05-2012, 3:24 PM
in california solo is OK , but out state i like to take a a huntiing partner

devil83dog@hotmail.com
07-05-2012, 3:26 PM
Always solo. Only thing that worries me is stepping on a rattler by accident

StraightShooter
07-05-2012, 8:19 PM
Almost always solo. I have had a few scary moments too regarding steep slippery terrain, almost running out of water in blistering heat, etc. if you are going to hunt alone I HIGHLY recommend you get a PLB. Either an ACR or the updated first gen spot. Everything else is either crap or is enormously expensive.

fresnohunter
07-06-2012, 12:21 AM
I mostly hunt solo, not by choice but seems alot of people got excuses as to why they can't go hunt. Mostly hunt the d3-d5 zones.

xSARSx
07-06-2012, 1:19 AM
i hunt about 70% solo. biggest fear for me is other dumb hunters who just shoots anything that moves behind a bush, thick brushes etc. not knowing exactly what it is.

HokeySon
07-06-2012, 9:15 PM
if you are going to hunt alone I HIGHLY recommend you get a PLB. Either an ACR or the updated first gen spot. Everything else is either crap or is enormously expensive.

What are these?

NoNOS67
07-06-2012, 9:27 PM
What are these?

Personal locator beacon. They can transmit your location to rescuers if you get in trouble.

capnemo
07-06-2012, 10:20 PM
The Delorme can connect to your smart phone for two way satellite text messaging. Not sure how long it's been out or it's reliability, or subscription costs. The Spot isn't bad...cheaper.