PDA

View Full Version : transferring a handgun from out of state.

stilly
07-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Hello.

I believe that this is legal BUT, I just wanna make certain.

If someone from another state buys a gun at a pawnshop/ffl holder with paperwork (handgun) after being shipped in from another state or ffl then comes here to CA and does a PPT to me with all paperwork and all. That IS legal to do correct? That is one method that is utilized to obtain an off roster handgun correct?

Just curious. I am exploring my options because I thirst again for what I shall not buy in this state...

wamphyri13
07-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Person transferring must be a CA resident. Otherwise, no. Not legal.
Ryan

ETA: Is it possible for you to acquire said firearm through SSE? This would be
your only option.

Librarian
07-04-2012, 11:42 AM
To expand, PPT is set up in the FFL software to work only between two CA residents.

A resident of some other state would trigger an interstate transfer, which means (1) the handgun must be on the Roster (or, you are exempt from the Roster, or the gun itself is made exempt from the Roster) and (2) the FFL can charge any fee he likes, not limited to the $35 a PPT uses.

stilly
07-04-2012, 5:13 PM
Sorry. I forgot that part.

Yes, The other person is a resident in both the other state and CA and has ID for both.

I am not familiar with SSE. What is that? OH, Single Shot Exempt? Hmm, I dunno if I can do that. I have done that with my Taurus 1911 ALR but not any others.