View Full Version : New ar, what to do?

07-04-2012, 10:43 AM
OK so I am getting my rifle on the 10th and she is NIB. I need to know some cheap ways to clean and lube her after I get her home.

Advice and links to instructional pages are welcome. PM also welcome in case you don't want to start a war on who/what works best :)

Thanks to everyone that has helped me make the choices that got me to this point.

07-04-2012, 11:09 AM
read that article by Pat Rogers called "Keep it Running". It was in SWAT magazine. If you can't find it online, i have the PDF i can email.

07-04-2012, 11:18 AM
This one?

07-04-2012, 1:36 PM
This one?

Yep. A good article about the myths of AR cleaning, and how to properly lubricate.

Another great article is "Filthy 14". He has loaner rifles that never get cleaned, only lubed, and they are up near the 20,000-30,000 round count.

07-04-2012, 2:09 PM
That was a good read, thanks guys.

Anyone got anymore good info?

07-04-2012, 2:13 PM
Thanks for link. Dowloaded for future reference when my build is complete.

07-04-2012, 2:18 PM
Just clean a little bit and shoot your new AR.

Oooohhhh and welcome to the Black Rifle.

07-04-2012, 2:38 PM
He talks about cleaning the way I do it for the most part with my varmint ar. Only other thing I do is pull a bore snake down the barrel a couple of times every few hundred rounds and oil the bolt and carrier. I use different oil products but in the long run I don't think it matters all that much. Good article. Thanks for the link.

07-04-2012, 2:44 PM
meh it always comes down to personal preference i would say. eventually you will just get used to doing it a certain way and if that way works for you then who can say that way is wrong? i personally field strip and clean the crap outa my guns but thats just the army training

07-04-2012, 4:10 PM
Separate upper from lower. Wipe out fire control pocket and check parts for abnormal wear.
Pull the buffer, wipe down.
Mop out receiver extension.
Pull out Bolt carrier group and charging handle, strip bolt, clean lube reassemble.
Mop out upper receiver.
Clean chamber and lugs.
Clean barrel , crown and brake, reassemble.

I use an Otis m4 kit and the supplied CLP.
Gunslick Graphite grease on the carrier rails and trigger .