PDA

View Full Version : good live bait for bass

killjoy19delta
07-03-2012, 10:55 PM
i remember they use to sell crawdads and water dogs for fishing , what happened?

07-04-2012, 6:25 AM
I hear a blue belly lizard works well

rooster85
07-04-2012, 8:02 AM
I hear gold fish work amazing for bass......

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-04-2012, 8:18 AM
I hear gold fish work amazing for bass......

yup, and is 100% illegal in CA... but double check the rules just to be sure.

tony270
07-04-2012, 8:25 AM
If your talking about largemouth bass some bait shops still sell crawdads, and mudpuppies waterdogs, Raonbow Bait in Compton sells and distributes them. They are sold in the delta, Bay Area, Poor Richards on the Salton Sea, too many places to list, start calling. A produtive and well known live bait for largemouth bass is shad minows or whatever minows are used in the area.

Hornet_RN
07-04-2012, 8:36 AM
if striped bass and you fish from the bank...

"bullheads" or sculpin, pile worms, blood worms, grass shrimp, ghost shrimp, frozen anchovies...

you might even catch a sturgeon with that stuff

IrishPirate
07-04-2012, 8:51 AM
if striped bass and you fish from the bank...

"bullheads" or sculpin, pile worms, blood worms, grass shrimp, ghost shrimp, frozen anchovies...

you might even catch a sturgeon with that stuff

don't forget sardines....that's what they ate in the ocean so they love pieces of sardines!!

and if you catch a GREEN sturgeon, make sure you don't do what these idiots did (http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/07/03/video-shows-fishermen-harming-protected-sturgeon-on-delta/) unless you're ok with getting a potential felony slapped on you.

ANYWAYS....another great live bait is crickets, though securing them on your hook and keeping them alive isn't always easy. But if you can pull it off, largemouth bass just CAN NOT resist them wriggling on the top of the water! same goes for trout, FYI.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-04-2012, 9:21 AM
ANYWAYS....another great live bait is crickets, though securing them on your hook and keeping them alive isn't always easy. But if you can pull it off, largemouth bass just CAN NOT resist them wriggling on the top of the water! same goes for trout, FYI.

never tried crickets for bass. Love drifting crickets in a stream for trout, might have to give them a try on bass.

rooster85
07-04-2012, 1:35 PM
yup, and is 100% illegal in CA... but double check the rules just to be sure.

Never said anything about the legality of using goldfish, just that ive heard theyre good bait. ;)

GMG
07-04-2012, 3:01 PM
Fishing for fresh water bass with live bait is frowned on by some bass fishermen.

jmonte35
07-04-2012, 3:35 PM
they can frown all they want.....

outbrakeridah
07-04-2012, 6:25 PM
I caught a 8.5lb bass once while I had a bluegill hooked and was reeling it in. About 8 feet from the boat the bass took the bluegill and took off.

pieeater
07-04-2012, 8:05 PM
I caught a 8.5lb bass once while I had a bluegill hooked and was reeling it in. About 8 feet from the boat the bass took the bluegill and took off.

How did you catch it?? Without a hook on the bluegill? The bluegill just get stuck in it??

Tanner68
07-04-2012, 8:09 PM
Good old fashioned night crawlers. Not regular ones, but conditioned, healthy, fat ones. A light wire hook, light line, and as little weight as you can get away with.

mif_slim
07-04-2012, 9:52 PM
Outbraker, that happen to me when I was 12 years old....man, that was long ago.. hahaha... The bass swallow it headfirst so the sharp fins caught its throat and I got it in close but my line broke. I was using 2lbs that time...:(

outbrakeridah
07-05-2012, 6:46 AM
^^ that's how I got mines too. Was fishing for bluegills and the bass came up and swallowed it. On 4lb line on a really small pole so it was a good fight. Luckily I was in a boat so it came in close to where my FIL netted it.

tony270
07-05-2012, 9:24 AM
IMO the best cut baits, live baits, and or lures are strongly related to geography, fish in one area may prefer different baits and lures than in another. It is always best to find out what the local fishermen and fish prefer. Then if what you use doesn’t produce go to what the locals use.

In California the fish has to voluntarily take the bait or lure into its mouth and because the bluegill was not bait it is not a legal catch. And depending on where you are except for the Colorado River District it is illegal to use bluegill as bait. It is legal to use gold fish in the Colorado River District but illegal to use elsewhere.

4.15. BAIT FISH USE IN THE COLORADO RIVER DISTRICT.
Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall not be used or possessed for use as bait in the Colorado River District:
( a) Live or dead golden shiner, fathead minnow, red shiner, mosquitofish, longjaw mudsucker, threadfin shad, goldfish, sunfish, molly, and dead carp may be used in all Colorado River District waters.

HTTP://WWW.DFG.CA.GOV/REGULATIONS/FRESHFISH-MAR2012/CCR-T14-CH2-ART3.HTML

2.00. FISHING METHODS -- GENERAL.
(c)It is unlawful to kill, or retain in possession any fish which has not voluntarily taken the bait or artificial lure in its mouth. Any fish not taken pursuant to these regulations, shall be released immediately back into the water .

HTTP://WWW.DFG.CA.GOV/REGULATIONS/FRESHFISH-MAR2012/CCR-T14-CH2-ART1.HTML

ouch1
07-05-2012, 9:30 AM
My stepfather uses minnows native to the area he is fishing in. He usually traps them the night before with a minnow trap and bread. In the South bay (San Jose area) that usually means small squawfish or shiners (even though he calls them chubs).

AFAIK it is totally legal to do as long as you are not taking them to use in a different watershed.

The first time he used bait he got using this method he landed a 13lb bass in Calero Res within 10 minutes of getting there.

-ouch1

tony270
07-05-2012, 9:42 AM
I only posted this and the above information incase one of you are in a tournament or if while one day you're out fishing and decide to tell a Game Warded fish lover about the fish you just caught.

ouch1 I think squawfish are protected in some areas or in all areas (check to make sure), and squawfish are not listed as a bait fish legal to use in the Valley or South Central Districts. They might have that status because they are so easy to see in the water and catch.

4.20. Bait Fish Use in the Valley and South Central Districts.
Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall not be used or possessed for use as bait in the Valley or South Central District:

(a) Live or dead golden shiner, fathead minnow, mosquitofish, longjaw mudsucker, and staghorn sculpin, and dead threadfin shad, Mississippi silverside and lamprey may be used in all Valley and South Central District waters except those listed in subsection (f) below.
(b) Red shiner may be used only in the Valley District north of Interstate 580 and Highway 132.
(c) Yellowfin gobies may be used in the Valley District only in those areas described in subsections (d)(1)-(3) below.
(d) In addition, except for trout and salmon, fin fish lawfully taken in the following waters by angling or with bait fish methods approved in Section 4.05 may be used only in the waters where taken:
(1) Carquinez Strait and Suisun Bay and their tributaries and saltwater tributaries.
(2) Sacramento River and tidewater of tributaries downstream from the Highway 32 bridge near Hamilton City, Feather River downstream from the Oroville Hatchery Fish Barrier Dam, and American River downstream from Nimbus Dam.
(3) San Joaquin River and tidewater of tributaries downstream from Interstate 5 bridge.
(e) Live threadfin shad, Mississippi silverside and lamprey may be used only at the location where taken.
(f) Fin fish may not be used in Keller Lake (Glenn Co.), Letts Lake (Colusa Co.), Merced Lake (San Francisco Co.), Upper and Lower Plaskett Meadow Ponds (Glenn Co.), Whale Rock Reservoir (San Luis Obispo Co.).

NytWolf
07-05-2012, 10:23 AM

Bluegills are great for large mouth bass. Just make sure you don't transport the bluegill from one body of water to another.

We use bluegills when we want to catch large bass. Put the hook through the upper portion of its back and cast it out. The bluegill will still swim around. The smaller bass won't bug it, but watch out for the big ones!

tony270
07-05-2012, 10:36 AM
NyWolf, you may only use bluegill (listed as sunfish in the regulation) in the Colorado River District per the Regulation. I have a friend that was cited for using bluegill filets for catfish. You can only use the fish listed in the regulation that you catch in the same body of water.

outbrakeridah
07-05-2012, 10:44 AM
I use bluegills for stripers all the time just not largemouth bass. I know I can only use them in the same body of water. The Delta is where I I usually fish.

tony270
07-05-2012, 10:52 AM
OBR, do you see sunfish or bluegill listed in that district? You might want to look, thats freshwater. I cought my 32 pouder at the Pipeline on a shad mimnow.

outbrakeridah
07-05-2012, 11:07 AM
It doesn't state the species in the regs but I know people who have gotten checked before and was told fine by the warden. I assume it was okay. Now I have to really check with the dfg to see. Thanks! Ignorance on my part I guess.

NytWolf
07-05-2012, 12:12 PM
NyWolf, you may only use bluegill (listed as sunfish in the regulation) in the Colorado River District per the Regulation. I have a friend that was cited for using bluegill filets for catfish. You can only use the fish listed in the regulation that you catch in the same body of water.

I guess times (regulations) have changed, or I was mistaken before and the wardens didn't care or didn't know either.

billetmann
07-05-2012, 2:32 PM
+1 cricketts- if you can keep'em live

VFX_man
07-05-2012, 3:55 PM
IMO the best cut baits, live baits, and or lures are strongly related to geography, fish in one area may prefer different baits and lures than in another. It is always best to find out what the local fishermen and fish prefer. Then if what you use doesn’t produce go to what the locals use.

In California the fish has to voluntarily take the bait or lure into its mouth and because the bluegill was not bait it is not a legal catch. And depending on where you are except for the Colorado River District it is illegal to use bluegill as bait. It is legal to use gold fish in the Colorado River District but illegal to use elsewhere.

HTTP://WWW.DFG.CA.GOV/REGULATIONS/FRESHFISH-MAR2012/CCR-T14-CH2-ART3.HTML

HTTP://WWW.DFG.CA.GOV/REGULATIONS/FRESHFISH-MAR2012/CCR-T14-CH2-ART1.HTML

So technically, when you are ocean rock cod fishing and a Ling-cod is chewing on your rock cod when it comes up . . . ya have to let it go [the Ling-cod]?

tony270
07-05-2012, 5:53 PM
We are discussing freshwater fishing not saltwater VFX MAN.