PDA

View Full Version : M1 carbine/w 15rnd mag

vtec
07-03-2012, 5:46 PM
Following the CHART regarding AW,it surely indicates that having an M1 Carbine with a 15 rnd mag is NOT an AW and is legal. In this case,is it also legal to have a 30 rnd mag and shoot it at the range? Need your input on this , as it is a C&R rifle built before 1950. (I signed the SB 249 petition..),its ludicrous...

Jeepers
07-03-2012, 5:47 PM
did you own the mags before 2000?

if so you are good to go featureless ,dont add a flash hider or other cool toys and all will be good .....

vtec
07-03-2012, 6:04 PM
Had the M1 et al since 1990-1994.,at Del Mar n Pomona,.no flash hider ,thought about it but did not get one.Its my war baby . Can't put a bullet button even if I wanted to.Thanks for the input, helps a lot...with the LAWS in CA, don't know whether they are coming or going...

Hibs
07-04-2012, 9:02 PM
did you own the mags before 2000?

if so you are good to go featureless ,dont add a flash hider or other cool toys and all will be good .....

how do they know/ how do you prove that?

Josh3239
07-04-2012, 9:05 PM
They don't know, can't prove it, and the answer doesn't matter. Possession and usage are not illegal. The fact that the OP has them means nothing and it cannot be proven either way how he got them. High cap mag charges have only been successful when attached to far worse crimes.

Hibs
07-04-2012, 9:07 PM
They don't know, can't prove it, and the answer doesn't matter. Possession and usage are not illegal. The fact that the OP has them means nothing and it cannot be proven either way how he got them. High cap mag charges have only been successful when attached to far worse crimes.

That's good to know. I just moved here from another state that did allow them. Wasn't sure what I was going to do. That clears it up for me.

Merc1138
07-04-2012, 9:37 PM
That's good to know. I just moved here from another state that did allow them. Wasn't sure what I was going to do. That clears it up for me.

Not sure what it clears up since you can't import them from another state.

Hibs
07-04-2012, 9:53 PM
Not sure what it clears up since you can't import them from another state.

I don't know what you're talking about. :chris:

Merc1138
07-04-2012, 10:29 PM
I don't know what you're talking about. :chris:

You do realize that playing stupid games in wording of forum posts to imply someone should break the law isn't a smart thing to do here, right?

Hibs
07-04-2012, 10:42 PM
You do realize that playing stupid games in wording of forum posts to imply someone should break the law isn't a smart thing to do here, right?

I'm not playing any stupid games. I'm not implying to anyone that they should break the law. I asked how they can prove that the mags you own weren't purchased prior to the year 2000. Josh3239 answered my question with his post. So what's your problem? :rolleyes:

And FYI, I left all my hi-cap mags in my home state of record. No mags were imported here illegally from another state. :chris:

donw
07-05-2012, 7:38 AM
the M1 carbine is fine as long as you add nothing like a flash hider (as was said earlier) and i would not use more than the ten round mag.

i see M1 carbines for sale in gun stores and at places like Big 5 Sporting goods all the time. unfortunately, they command a princely price...especially if they're a nice military model.

i, personally, would like to get one...i have a soft spot in my heart for them; i'm one of the soldiers who trained with and used an M1 carbine, and M1 Garand...but...the Ruger PC9 carbine is as close as i will get for now.

donw
07-05-2012, 7:40 AM
the M1 carbine is fine as long as you add nothing like a flash hider (as was said earlier) and i would not use more than the ten round mag.

i see M1 carbines for sale in gun stores and at places like Big 5 Sporting goods all the time. unfortunately, they command a princely price...especially if they're a nice military model.

i, personally, would like to get one...i have a soft spot in my heart for them; i'm one of the soldiers who trained with and used an M1 carbine, and M1 Garand...but...the Ruger PC9 carbine is as close as i will get for now.

tujungatoes
07-05-2012, 11:27 AM
There's nothing wrong with using 10+ round magazines in a standard M1 carbine. Have no fear...I don't think I even own a 10rd mag for my carbine.

Root66
07-05-2012, 3:27 PM
What happens if the subject pre-'00 carbine is sold, do the mags grandfather with it?

russ69
07-05-2012, 3:38 PM
What happens if the subject pre-'00 carbine is sold, do the mags grandfather with it?

no.

Jeepers
07-05-2012, 4:00 PM

it does matter because i get so tired of seeing folk promoting illegal activity's

it is illegal to import or manufacture a mag over 10 rds , possession is not illegal but if a DA want to charge they can and will , usually a addon charge but it happens all the time in CA read your local crime reports i see charges for "high cap" mag a few time a year even in my lil area....

bottom line folks stop insuating its ok to do something illegal if you owned the mags pre ban in ca all is good and legal , if not its your arse ....

as far as selling the M1 with mags it also can be done as long as the mags are broken down into repair kits for legally owned repair of pre 2000 mags in ca , but selling the mags are not grandfathered like that only the orig owner pre 2000 in ca is grandfathered in to own the assembled mags

Josh3239
07-05-2012, 7:21 PM
I didn't promote illegal activity, I answered the question directly. If it makes you feel better we can post it again, it is against the law to import high capacity magazines into the state of California. There, it still doesn't make the rest of my post wrong. Possession and usage are still not a crime, and it doesn't matter how someone with them got them. Unless the state can prove a crime occured it just doesn't matter.

PEZHEAD265
07-05-2012, 9:04 PM
I'm not playing any stupid games. I'm not implying to anyone that they should break the law. I asked how they can prove that the mags you own weren't purchased prior to the year 2000. Josh3239 answered my question with his post. So what's your problem? :rolleyes:

And FYI, I left all my hi-cap mags in my home state of record. No mags were imported here illegally from another state. :chris:

Ok lets put it this way if you didn't live in the state of CA in the year 2000 you couldn't have own the mags in CA since 2000,So bringing them in to the state after the year 2000 you imported them [felony].Josh3239 is wrong it can be proven that you didn't have the mags prior to the year 2000 cause you didn't live hear then.Brake them down to mag kits and by 10 rounders di not put them back together in the state of CA[felony]That is why Merc said you are playing word games.

Hibs
07-05-2012, 9:14 PM
Ok lets put it this way if you didn't live in the state of CA in the year 2000 you couldn't have own the mags in CA since 2000,So bringing them in to the state after the year 2000 you imported them [felony].Josh3239 is wrong it can be proven that you didn't have the mags prior to the year 2000 cause you didn't live hear then.Brake them down to mag kits and by 10 rounders di not put them back together in the state of CA[felony]That is why Merc said you are playing word games.

Thanks. I'm aware of what the laws are here as I checked into it before I moved to California. Like I all ready stated, I left all my hi-cap mags in my home state of record. No mags were imported here illegally from another state.

PEZHEAD265
07-05-2012, 9:25 PM
I'm just tring to tell you for you mere possesion is a crime because you could never say you had them pre 2000.It can be proven that you couldn't have owned them.If you know the laws and understood them Josh3239 info couldn't have helped you in any way.Not many judges arew going to belive you just found them.Some people like to play the game but I would rather spend my money on ammo and gun then on lawyers.

Merc1138
07-05-2012, 9:27 PM
I'm just tring to tell you for you mere possesion is a crime because you could never say you had them pre 2000.It can be proven that you couldn't have owned them.I f you know the laws and understood them Josh3239 info couldn't have helped you in any way.

Possession is not a crime, as they can't necessarily prove that he manufactured or imported them. However that doesn't make it alright to start implying "oh, they'll never know" is some sort of secret code for "go ahead".

PEZHEAD265
07-06-2012, 4:11 AM
I'm not a lawyer but the way I'm interpreting the law as this.It is legal to own hi-caps if you had them prior to 2000 in the state of CA.It is legal to own mag kits to rebuild you legal mags that you had prior to 2000.I can't figure any way they legally got in to the state and it is harder if you didn't live here pre-ban.How do you explain having rebuild kits for preban mags if you didn't live here?I'm not talking about the legal exemptions just the average person.I'm not sure how the laws are in forced but just say that the said person shot and wounded a intruder in his house with the 15rd mag in his M1.Don't you think the intruder[SC--BAG] is going to sue and his lawyer is going to question how he became to own a 15 rd mag when he did not live in the state prior to 2000.It might make him the criminal.The hi-cap mag possesion laws are a gray area but ask a few of the lawyers in the forum and they will say it is illegal.SB 249 is going to make it clear no hi-caps or kits in the future.

Sailormilan2
07-06-2012, 6:27 AM
There's nothing wrong with using 10+ round magazines in a standard M1 carbine. Have no fear...I don't think I even own a 10rd mag for my carbine.

I know I don't own a 10 rd mag for the M1 Carbine. Numerous 15s and a few 30s.
Very similar to my M1As(M14s). I think I have one 10 rd mag for 3 guns, the rest are all 20s.

billetmann
07-06-2012, 2:16 PM
i have a question on hi-cap mags.
i had a true AW much before 2000 with a few hi cap (30+) mags. i got rid of the gun but kept a few of the magazines. i have since bought a new AR15 with features and a BB. question--Can i use these hi cap mags in the new gun?

ouch1
07-06-2012, 2:46 PM
i have a question on hi-cap mags.
i had a true AW much before 2000 with a few hi cap (30+) mags. i got rid of the gun but kept a few of the magazines. i have since bought a new AR15 with features and a BB. question--Can i use these hi cap mags in the new gun?

Sorry but no. The only ways you could legally use them in Ca is to either modify them to only hold 10 rounds (this can be done a few different ways including a glue in mag block, or a rivet to stop the follower at 10 rounds) for use in an AR with a mag-lock (aka bullet-button). Or the other option is to change the AR into a featureless configuration. I.e. fixed compensator, fixed stock (either A2 style or pinned to be fixed), and no pistol grip (either a kydex wrap on the grip or something like a monsterman grip). But in the featureless config you can use full 30 rounds mags without a problem.

-ouch1