PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good first AR??

Huck13
07-03-2012, 12:54 PM
I am in the market for my first AR-15 and I saw a Bushmaster XT15 ORC 5.56 on sale for $799 and thought this might be the ticket. I will hunt varmits and targets. You guys like the Bushmaster stuff? Pro's and Con's with this particular rifle? I will put a red dot optic on it and otherwise it will be stock.

TIA,
Zimm

ICONIC
07-03-2012, 1:02 PM
pretty decent rifle. You may want a longer barrel for hunting though.

someR1
07-03-2012, 1:02 PM
I am in the market for my first AR-15 and I saw a Bushmaster XT15 ORC 5.56 on sale for $799 and thought this might be the ticket. I will hunt varmits and targets. You guys like the Bushmaster stuff? Pro's and Con's with this particular rifle? I will put a red dot optic on it and otherwise it will be stock.

TIA,
Zimm

that will be perfect for hunting squirrels and plinking :)

Jimmy310
07-03-2012, 1:10 PM
Personally, for a first AR i would recommend a A2 style 20" with iron sights (or a a3/a4 flattop with removable carry handle)

I also like my AR's with fixed front sights. I own a 20" A4 style AR with a primary arms red dot, and a 16" dissipator AR with a bushnell red dot (both rifles have the matech rear buis).....One thing in common with these is they have rifle length front sight posts for a longer sight radius.

I find it alot harder to shoot carbines with iron sights. As for bushmaster, with $800, you have better options. I like uppers from palmetto state armory, and you can buy or assemble your own lower.

There are my 2 AR's i currently shoot:
(first one is on the left, i no longer have the upper on the right)
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac319/jbusman84/IMAG0135.jpg

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac319/jbusman84/IMAG0215.jpg

jsipe007
07-03-2012, 1:20 PM
While Im sure a Bushmaster would make a pretty good AR, I too am a fan of PSA. I built my ar-15 for that same price and it has exactly what I want...

a 16in barrel is easily effective out to about 400 yards. There may be slight bullet drop but it will be effective at those ranges. I use my 16in ar for jack rabbits and plinking... (in Nevada)

Huck13
07-03-2012, 5:19 PM
So how do I figure out how to "build" and AR? YouTube?

SuicideCharley
07-03-2012, 5:35 PM
S&W m&p Sport would be another option, A2 front sights and magpul bios for the rear. With the Bushmaster you mentioned you'll need sights (added cost). $699.00 for the S&W, good platform to build on too.

TheHammerOfTruth
07-03-2012, 5:38 PM
Bushmaster is all good for your first rifle.

Jazeronthelaser
07-03-2012, 5:38 PM
I have the same rifle but with the detachable carry handle and I love it!!

Kappy
07-03-2012, 9:10 PM
So how do I figure out how to "build" and AR? YouTube?

I'm where you were a few months ago. Couldn't figure out what to do or how to do it.

From what I can tell:
1. Cheapest- buy a lower, the lower parts kit, and a complete upper.
2. Middle- buy a complete rifle.
3. Buy a lower, upper, and all the parts kits and other items like a barrel and whatnot.

I went with option 1. I bought a lower back in December, and a friend sent me a lower parts kit (a $50 value or so). I learned how to assemble the lower at my local club where we do a black rifle function on the 4th Sunday of the month. A lot of people at my range have built their lowers that way. I studied up on some Youtube videos the night before to make sure that all the right parts were in the kit. AR15.com has some great documents to help as well.

This gives you a lot more options and teaches you more about how your rifle works. Now... in a way, I wish I'd put together my upper as well, but that can be far more expensive. Why? I'm not sure. Some weird form of economics. I thought it would be cheaper to build the upper as well... I was wrong.

I had my lower and parts (if I'd paid for them) for $150 total. The lower already had a bullet button installed (saved me $25). The upper cost me $800 (RRA). Then the stock for about another $100. The complete rifle thus ran about $1150. This was about $175 less than it comes from RRA. A huge savings? No. But the cost difference bought me ammo for reloading and I know more about how my lower works.

Huck13
07-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Kappy I appreciate it! This helps a lot!!