PDA

View Full Version : reliabilty on an AR

blacksheep115
07-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Hey guys this is my first post on fourm and no i don't live in Cali, all my search results on my my AR questions have either led me here or to AR15dotcom. I can't register there because only email i got is on yahoo. It's a simple question. I want to build an AR, i already have my intentions i want to do a BCM upper of some sort. But my question is to the lower, and it's simple all lowers are built to some sort of mil-spec. Since i'm a avid glock/browning pistol shooter i know the lower really recieves no action just activates the action. AR lowers big brands are hard to find i'm sure you know. I have found spike/dpms and BCM. I don't have the money to buy a full rifle so i'm building as I go. all 3 are forged with "almost" same specs. So question is do all part kits fit all lowers and if not what are your opinions. I've done extensive google searches and all comes to opinion. I'd be happy just to know if all lower parts kit fit all because i know the lower is just a shell. I don't care about engravings/logo's. I want to start doing urban camps/rifle training but i want a rifle that will shoot 4k rounds in a week. But i don't want to spend 300$ on a nev stripped lower.
Thanks
PS: if this was answered before please don't flame me, i don't need extensive education just that if 1 lower can work with any lower parts kit. although if you can suggest a upper i would love suggestions.

Merc1138
07-03-2012, 12:59 AM
Yes, any standard parts kit will fit any standard lower.

You've missed a few dozen other companies that make lowers just like Spikes, DPMS, and BCM. The 3 you've mentioned probably are the same actual spec, just different wording.

The only major differences besides proprietary features(billet with some sort of grip on the mag well or integrated trigger guard, ambi controls, no deflector or forward assist, etc.) are the aluminum that it's made out of (6000 series vs. 7000 series) and the coating(typically type III hard anodizing, some manufacturers charge more for different coatings), and the design of the roll mark on the side.

Don't want an education? Too bad, you just learned something. It's better to know "why" now, then wonder about something later on after you've bought it. It's really not all that complicated anyway.

http://www.shirtaday.com/pastShirts/20070402_gijoeBig.jpg

Lexustech48
07-03-2012, 5:55 AM
Other thing to consider is whether your lower has a provision for mil spec buffer tube or if its commercial spec. I *think* some DPMS lowers are commercial spec. Its not a drastic size difference, but it will matter when you go to buy your stock.

FMJBT
07-03-2012, 6:41 AM
Other thing to consider is whether your lower has a provision for mil spec buffer tube or if its commercial spec. I *think* some DPMS lowers are commercial spec. Its not a drastic size difference, but it will matter when you go to buy your stock.

Buffer tube threads are the same size on all lowers, even AR-10/LR-308. The difference between the commercial and mil spec tubes is just in the tube itself, not the lower.

C4iGrant
07-03-2012, 7:18 AM
Hey guys this is my first post on fourm and no i don't live in Cali, all my search results on my my AR questions have either led me here or to AR15dotcom. I can't register there because only email i got is on yahoo. It's a simple question. I want to build an AR, i already have my intentions i want to do a BCM upper of some sort. But my question is to the lower, and it's simple all lowers are built to some sort of mil-spec. Since i'm a avid glock/browning pistol shooter i know the lower really recieves no action just activates the action. AR lowers big brands are hard to find i'm sure you know. I have found spike/dpms and BCM. I don't have the money to buy a full rifle so i'm building as I go. all 3 are forged with "almost" same specs. So question is do all part kits fit all lowers and if not what are your opinions. I've done extensive google searches and all comes to opinion. I'd be happy just to know if all lower parts kit fit all because i know the lower is just a shell. I don't care about engravings/logo's. I want to start doing urban camps/rifle training but i want a rifle that will shoot 4k rounds in a week. But i don't want to spend 300$ on a nev stripped lower.
Thanks
PS: if this was answered before please don't flame me, i don't need extensive education just that if 1 lower can work with any lower parts kit. although if you can suggest a upper i would love suggestions.

I don't get too excited about the lower (itself). They (for the most part) are all the same (assuming the manufacturer is following the TDP or some QUALITY variant of it). With that said, what matters more are the parts used inside of them. This can vary a lot so out of your list BCM has better internals IMHO.

Since you are going with a BCM upper, I would just get a BCM Blem lower and be done with it.

C4

HK Dave
07-03-2012, 7:27 AM
You don't have the money to buy a full rifle but you plan on shooting 4K rounds a week?

I call bull****.

Merc1138
07-03-2012, 9:11 AM
He didn't say he was going to shoot 4k rounds in a week. He said he wanted one that could, meaning it could take the use and not fall apart.

If I said I wanted a car that could go a million miles without falling apart, that doesn't mean I want to get the odometer up to a million all by myself.

jsipe007
07-03-2012, 9:39 AM
What I suggest is getting a PSA lower build kit. For 100 bucks you can get a milspec kit to finish a stripped lower (buffer tube, buffer assembly, stock, lpk, end plate, etc) or you can spend 145 or so for a Magpul Lower build kit. These kits sometimes go on sale (i got the mil spec kit for 80) and it has a nice trigger. My lower cost right around $200. I have since upgraded to the magpul furniture though so that figure no longer applies LOL

As long as the parts are milspec, they are interchangeable. I suggest looking for an Aero Precision lower, NFA, PSA, Doublestar, ETC. These are forged aluminum lowers, less than half the cost of a billet lower and very durable. Id stay away from poly out of personal preference.