PDA

View Full Version : Gun locks- no refund policy?

joker70
07-02-2012, 9:51 PM
I recently purchased an new pistol at Turner's Outdoorsman. They added a new lock to the purchase and DROS. I figured no problem, I'll return it. I have purchased a new AR lower from a different LGS and they allowed me to return the lock for full refund. I've also returned locks from Wal Mart that I used for a PPT of a pistol and a rifle at other FFLs.

So today I go back to Turner's to exchange the lock for an extra magazine. When the manager comes to the register he says gun locks cannot be returned. I asked why not. He said by law you have to buy a lock with the gun. I agreed but now I'm returning an UNUSED and UNOPENED lock. They actually let me leave the store without locking the gun or case. He said it's Turner's policy not to refund gun locks.

Am I SOL?
Is this no refund policy written or posted anywhere?
Seems hypocritical for the manager to quote gun lock laws when they never really cared if the gun left the store locked.

paul0660
07-02-2012, 9:53 PM
I guess this was not beat into the ground yet.

TheHammerOfTruth
07-02-2012, 10:06 PM
I recently purchased an new pistol at Turner's Outdoorsman. They added a new lock to the purchase and DROS. I figured no problem, I'll return it. I have purchased a new AR lower from a different LGS and they allowed me to return the lock for full refund. I've also returned locks from Wal Mart that I used for a PPT of a pistol and a rifle at other FFLs.

So today I go back to Turner's to exchange the lock for an extra magazine. When the manager comes to the register he says gun locks cannot be returned. I asked why not. He said by law you have to buy a lock with the gun. I agreed but now I'm returning an UNUSED and UNOPENED lock. They actually let me leave the store without locking the gun or case. He said it's Turner's policy not to refund gun locks.

Am I SOL?
Seems hypocritical for the manager to quote gun lock laws when they never really cared if the gun left the store locked.

I dont know the policy, but you dont have to lock your gun to leave the store.

JNunez23
07-02-2012, 11:42 PM
I see your beef. If I were you, I would escalate the issue to higher management/ corporate and ask them for an explanation as to why they will not allow it. I would also mention that a certain store let you walk right out without using it, giving you MORE reason for returning it...

Good luck ;)

Maddog5150
07-02-2012, 11:44 PM
[/COLOR]

I dont know the policy, but you dont have to lock your gun to leave the store.

Yeah hasnt that been beaten to death? A trunk will suffice for a locked container?

joker70
07-03-2012, 7:18 AM
Yeah hasnt that been beaten to death? A trunk will suffice for a locked container?

I did a search on this Turner's page and it wasn't in the top three threads and I didn't see it on any subject line.

What if I'm stopped by LEO in the parking lot before I get to my car? What if I walked to Turners?

I understand I'm only out $5.99 but is it worth it to Turners to keep getting bashed on the internet? My next step will probably be to give a bad yelp review and I'll be recommending their competitors who are more customer oriented. Especially since this Turners (San Marcos) has 3 nice LGS within 5 miles of it and Walmart 1 block over that sells ammo and basic supplies cheaper than Turners.

xoutxkastx
07-03-2012, 8:10 AM
Wait I thought they only charged $0.01 for a lock with a new gun purchase. It's when you do a PPT and if you don't have a lock they charge you full price.

bohoki
07-03-2012, 9:11 AM
store policy not law check your receipt or any signs for any return policys

if its not mentioned take them to small claims court

hash browns
07-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Wait I thought they only charged $0.01 for a lock with a new gun purchase. It's when you do a PPT and if you don't have a lock they charge you full price.

At the Signal Hill store, I was required to purchase a gun lock with a new gun purchase, not a PPT.

Josh3239
07-04-2012, 5:22 PM
DOJ told them to stop doing $0.01 locks.

SemperFlexibus
07-04-2012, 10:09 PM

Am I SOL?

Was there a CA DOJ approved lock included with the new pistol from the manufacturer? if not, then you'll need to purchase a lock or provide a receipt and lock purchased within 30 days at the time of DROS submission. Some Turner's stores will not accept receipt that show another pistol on it or if the receipt will expire during the waiting period.

It's the firearm owner's responsibility to carry the pistol unloaded and in a locked container while the firearm is physically carried by the person to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose. (Penal Code 12026.1.)

Some Turner's will make customer lock the case with the lock and most don't.

Same with returning lock, some will take it back while others won't....

bubbapug1
07-05-2012, 8:45 AM
We all have massive gun lock collections...is $5.99 going to kill you?? They don't like the law either, but why should they bear the brunt of it themselves by stocking, selling, and restocking locks time and again, its a hassle and could be looked at by DOJ as a way to circumvent the letter and spirit of the law.

1Fastrider
07-05-2012, 9:18 AM
Had same experience with them. Also for a different ppt I was at a different store (not turners) and they told me the same thing. Didn't matter that I had my own locked case, a safe at home and a trunk). Still it's a stupid policy.

SemperFlexibus
07-05-2012, 12:19 PM
FFL dealers are only required by laws to ensure a hand gun is delivered with an approved lock to purchaser, not what the purchaser decides to do with the lock afterward.

LBDamned
07-05-2012, 8:05 PM
I think some people are missing the point of the OP... its not about lock laws or even the fact that Turners automatically charges for a lock... its about them not accepting a "return" (which in my opinion is garbage).

I just tell them to take the charge off my purchase - I show up with a lock (and receipt less than 30 days old) - then return the lock (Walmart)... and no, 5.99 doesn't break me, I have plenty of locks in a drawer taking up space - I don't need more (I'm not stupid enough to throw it away and I don't think anyone here is stupid enough to throw a five dollar bill in the trash).

Bottom line is - Turners should accept all returns. But to avaoid the hassle just buy one at Walmart.

gr8dragon88
07-06-2012, 6:57 AM
Yup, some Turner's employees should stop making up policies on their own, or stop acting like judge, jury and executioner...

Steve_In_29
07-06-2012, 6:58 AM

Bottom line is - Turners should accept all returns. But to avoid the hassle just buy one at Walmart.That's what I do, buy one on the way to Turners and then return it 10 days later on the way home from picking gun up. Never had a problem with a return at Walmart. Only had to buy a lock at Turners once, when both the Walmarts on the way were out.