PDA

View Full Version : BattleComp 2.0 Installation

AAShooter
07-02-2012, 2:06 PM
I purchased two BattleComp compensators to be installed on two Bravo company .223 uppers. I keep reading posts were people are having problems getting these things installed due to the crush washer. Many people have problems getting the washer to crush enough to get the proper orientation of the compensators. It seems like some fear the amount of torque they have to subject the barrel to in order to get it installed with the proper orientation.

Anyone have experience installing these things and any best practices for getting the compensators on properly?

clutchy
07-02-2012, 2:34 PM
get an armorer's tool

get a viceblock

go to town.

I've done a couple crush washers and they're not joking they are a huge pain in the butt.

you could do the tighten loosen method but it might end up a little looser than just going straight on.

GL... those things are pricey.

nitroxdiver
07-02-2012, 2:43 PM
My BC 2.0 came with timing washers/shims instead of the typical crush washer. I just got mine timed correctly using the washers, then used rocksett on the threads. Curious that yours came with a crush washer, as the 2.0 is a A2 flash hider type suppressor mount compatible, and you're not suppose to use crush washers on MB or FH that are also used as a supressor mount as it can result in imprecise alignment of the can and cause baffle strikes.

G60
07-02-2012, 3:25 PM
Crush washers should offer at least 360 degrees of 'crush', so if people are having problems, they've either got a defective crush washer, or a defective person doing the install. (Use a barrel block in the vice, not an upper receiver block, and don't be afraid to use man strength)

The 2.0 should come with shims, which are to be used with Rocksett, but you can use a crush washer if you'd like. From BCE directly:

"It's perfectly fine to use a crush washer in place of the shims providing that you do not plan to use a suppressor. I use shims on all the 2.0"s on my own rifles. Shims and Rocksett are only required with suppressor use as the environment in the primary blast chamber is very unfriendly to compensators/flash hiders. With the heat cycling and vibration they could potentially shake loose. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Thanks very much!
Cheers,
Marty"

locosway
07-02-2012, 3:32 PM
I purchased two BattleComp compensators to be installed on two Bravo company .223 uppers. I keep reading posts were people are having problems getting these things installed due to the crush washer. Many people have problems getting the washer to crush enough to get the proper orientation of the compensators. It seems like some fear the amount of torque they have to subject the barrel to in order to get it installed with the proper orientation.

Anyone have experience installing these things and any best practices for getting the compensators on properly?

I think most people don't know how much force to use when installing. I used a piece of wood, c-clamp, and a wooden table top to secure my rifle to. Then I just spun off the A2 and installed my BC with crush washer. I ran it until it was snug, then tightened until it was oriented properly. Nothing to it.

AAShooter
07-02-2012, 3:42 PM
I have not opened the packages but am going by the other comments. In looking at the packages, it looks like they come with washers for shims. It appears one shim consists of a thick washer, one consists of several thin washers, and one consists of one thin washer. So I guess it does not have a crush washer (at least I don't see one). This stuff is all new to me.

AAShooter
07-02-2012, 4:23 PM
How does Rocksett compare to Locktite?

G60
07-02-2012, 5:14 PM
I believe Rocksett only loosens after a certain amount of torque has been applied, or it is soaked in water overnight. You don't want locktite on a firearm barrel as the temperatures will probably exceed what locktite is rated to and loosen.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

AAShooter
07-02-2012, 5:21 PM
I believe Rocksett only loosens after a certain amount of torque has been applied, or it is soaked in water overnight. You don't want locktite on a firearm barrel as the temperatures will probably exceed what locktite is rated to and loosen.

Makes sense.

nitroxdiver
07-02-2012, 5:57 PM

You are correct sir.

kemikalembalance
07-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Its dumb, and i made this mistake, but...you do know that the logo faces down, right? i only needed to turn mine about a third of turn. And I've installed well over a dozen as well as run 5 of them.