PDA

View Full Version : So I want to buy a bolt gun

santacruzstefan
07-01-2012, 10:42 PM
I really got into shooting with black rifles, but now I think I would like a bolt gun. Now, I still have to admit to liking that tacticool look, and really liked the idea of a Remington 700 5R in one of those AICS 1.5 stocks. How does such a set up sound to you guys who have more experience with bolt guns? Anything I should add or change to it? Also, the 5R (if thats even the model I ought to buy) comes in a couple varieties it seems: one with a 24" barrel, and one with a 20" barrel that I believe is threaded. Which is better? What are the pros/ cons of each? This will be chambered in .308. by the way. Thanks for your help fellas.

MT1
07-01-2012, 10:56 PM
The 5R is the best out of the box rifle you can get without spending 1K+ more over it's price. Even spending the money on a true custom rifle might only get you a nicer stock because my buddy's GAP shoots no better at anywhere out to 1000y than my 5R does, and my other friend's Savage 10FCMP is not even close.

Mine is the 24" version, you won't lose much going to the threaded 20" and it allows you to add a brake which is nice for bench shooting. If you're shooting prone and lock into the rifle well the recoil won't bother you so the 24" would be my choice.

santacruzstefan
07-01-2012, 11:00 PM
The 5R is the best out of the box rifle you can get without spending 1K+ more over it's price. Even spending the money on a true custom rifle might only get you a nicer stock because my buddy's GAP shoots no better at anywhere out to 1000y than my 5R does, and my other friend's Savage 10FCMP is not even close.

Mine is the 24" version, you won't lose much going to the threaded 20" and it allows you to add a brake which is nice for bench shooting. If you're shooting prone and lock into the rifle well the recoil won't bother you so the 24" would be my choice.

Thats what I had heard (about quality of the 5R) and that it wa s basically a M24 with a different barrel contour. But what about the AICS stock? Also just saw an AX AICS, which looks totally awesome.

http://72.17.147.19/accintlsrt/images/AX_AICS_DE_RightRear.jpg

MT1
07-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Thats what I had heard (about quality of the 5R) and that it wa s basically a M24 with a different barrel contour. But what about the AICS stock? Also just saw an AX AICS, which looks totally awesome.

The rifling type is the same as the M24 barrel, but it is not a true Rock barrel as is used on the military M24.

The 5R HS Precision stock is very capable, and I actually like it quite a bit, some people don't like them at all even compared to the slightly different 700P stock due to the shape of the palm swell. The AICS is a great stock, but it is very heavy so if you plan on doing any kind of mobile station shooting you might want to look at a Mcmillan A4/A5...have not used one of the AX AICS stocks so I won't comment on them.

darksands
07-02-2012, 1:50 PM
+1 on the 5R. Mine shoots sub MOA out of the box with my reloads.

http://www.peterstuff.net/images/guns/targets/061012-R7005r-1.jpg
http://www.peterstuff.net/images/guns/targets/061012-R7005r-2.jpg

projectalpha
07-02-2012, 1:59 PM

http://smiliesftw.com/x/wackit.gif

CS Sports
07-02-2012, 1:59 PM

Agreed. The 700 5R is a lot of rifle for the money.

CS Sports
07-02-2012, 2:07 PM
The rifling type is the same as the M24 barrel, but it is not a true Rock barrel as is used on the military M24.

The M24 does not use a Rock barrel. Don't believe me, call Mike and ask him. His number is 608-862-2357. If you call, tell him Charley says "hi".

Remington makes their own 5R barrels now using a hammer forging process. Apparently Mike made a few barrels early on (I forget the number, it's been years since he told me), but hasn't made barrels for Remington in a very long time.

NOTABIKER
07-02-2012, 2:35 PM
SAVAGE bolt, less bling, more bang. savage has a fantastic line up.

TwinStick
07-02-2012, 2:55 PM
OP already stated twice that he likes the bling.

Take a look at the other aftermarket stocks out there for the 700 also. Though the AICS has the looks you're after, they are not cheap. McMillan, Bell & Carlson, etc. Also, when looking to get into precision shooting, check out snipershide.com.

Wolfie_AR
07-02-2012, 2:56 PM
The Remington 500's are great rifles but If I were to only own one bolt action rifle, I'd get a Savage. You can easily remove the barrel and the bolt's floating head can be replaced with another caliber. So if you are done with .308. Get a new barrel and new bolt head and voila, new caliber bolt gun. They are very accurate in part because of the floating head design. Lot's of aftermarket parts, including stocks if one doesn't suit your taste from the factory and.... they are cheap comparatively.

TwinStick
07-02-2012, 2:57 PM
BTW, someone has a Rem 700 with AICS 1.5 for sale in the private firearms classifieds.

brando
07-02-2012, 3:00 PM
Whatever you get, if your experience with precision shooting and using scopes is limited, take the time to get some training or attend a few clinics with the precision shooting clubs. I see a lot of people at the range wasting time and money trying to figure out why it's not as easy as shooting their ARs.

rero360
07-02-2012, 3:01 PM
I suggest you get behind the gun and get a feel for it before buying it, you may find you don't like the AICS stock. There are a bunch of options out there and while the resale value would still be good, it sucks to buy something that you end up not liking.

But, you can't go wrong with that rifle.

Stoopy
07-02-2012, 3:07 PM
What are you using it for?

DennisCA
07-02-2012, 3:16 PM
I really got into shooting with black rifles, but now I think I would like a bolt gun. Now, I still have to admit to liking that tacticool look, and really liked the idea of a Remington 700 5R in one of those AICS 1.5 stocks. How does such a set up sound to you guys who have more experience with bolt guns? Anything I should add or change to it? Also, the 5R (if thats even the model I ought to buy) comes in a couple varieties it seems: one with a 24" barrel, and one with a 20" barrel that I believe is threaded. Which is better? What are the pros/ cons of each? This will be chambered in .308. by the way. Thanks for your help fellas.

Are just going to use it for target shooting or hunting rifle or both?
IMHO - Maybe you buy a less-costly bolt gun, try it before you dump a bunch of $$$ into one (there's plenty to choose from).
However: Your $$ = Your Choice.

MT1
07-02-2012, 3:45 PM
@ CS - I was under the impression that the actual military issue M24 rifles were rebarreled by the .mil armorers using a true Rock 5R barrel, was that ever the case?

Regardless, the m24 barrel is not the same as the 700 5R barrel.

CS Sports
07-02-2012, 5:23 PM
I'm sure they have, along with Krieger, Schneider, Obermeyer and others.

angrypeccary
07-02-2012, 5:28 PM
dont spend so much money on the weapon itself make sure you spend more money on the glass it will serve u better

Whiplash Actual
07-02-2012, 6:04 PM
^^^ What he said. I have a Savage in .308 and for the price it shoots just as well as any 700 I've shot. Spend your money on a nice optic, get your dope and practice your math.

Renaissance Redneck
07-03-2012, 8:55 AM
If you like tacticool, you might consider the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle.

http://i45.tinypic.com/opw7tc.jpg

frdman
07-04-2012, 12:28 AM
I bought a 5r just before Black Friday last year. I had read about it all over the internet and then saw it at Turners. I got a really good deal on it and couldn't say no, not realizing what I was getting myself into. It's been 7 months and I haven't shot it yet because all this scope stuff with reticles and first focal plane vs 2nd focal plane, moa vs mil, and the insane amounts of reticles has kept me from moving forward. Make sure you do your research first.

kendog4570
07-04-2012, 9:31 AM
Buy this one. Chambered in 7.62 NATO
Bet it will outshoot the factory 5R.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=590508

justinlemieux
07-04-2012, 9:35 AM

+1 to what kendog4570 says. i dont know the owner, but thats a heck of a rifle for sale .

heres my 5r in a mcmillan
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii117/justinlemieux/5r.jpg

Don29palms
07-04-2012, 11:28 AM

You can't shoot 308 out of a 7.62 chamber.

To the OP
The Remington 700 5R is an excellent choice.

donw
07-04-2012, 11:40 AM
jeeeeeeeeeeee...my 12fv savage in .308 shot less than 1/2 MOA right out of the box. what more does a body need? :)

sigma6
07-04-2012, 11:44 AM
http://www.smtexas.net/faculty/jackson/CAPPS6_2009-2010/CAPPS6GT1/mcclain/webpage/tikka%20T3%20Tactical,%20cropped.jpg

tikka tactical

kendog4570
07-04-2012, 11:50 AM
You can't shoot 308 out of a 7.62 chamber.

Here we go again....

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww211/kendog4570/standard.jpg

And the difference is....???

You are welcome to come to my shop, stick gauges in various 7.62/308 rifles till you are blue in the face, and pour over many many industry chambering and ammunition drawings and prints that I have, as well as pressure data that was put forth by US Army in the 50's and 60's. If you can actually show me the difference, and not some hot air post from another forum, I'll stand corrected.

Bring some beer with you.

THIS particular 7.62 NATO chambered gun actually gauges 308 SAAMI go plus .001". (What was Remington thinking!!!??) Well within the minimum and maximum of the 308 Winchester/7.62 NATO cartridge, which is 1.630 minimum, 1.640 maximum. US sporting ammo/chambers are on the bottom end of the spread, and NATO is on the top. They each have a .006/.007" spread from go to field, but MAX chamber is 1.640 for either.

Guess what? Same goes for the .223 Rem/5.56 NATO. They both have the same min and max, with the respective "agencies" taking their chunks from the top or bottom of the spread. MAX is SAME for both.

6mmintl
07-04-2012, 1:03 PM
The mythical Remington 5R surfaces again, as does the .308 vs. 7.62 and 5.56 vs. .223 myths.

You guys spend too much time surfing the web and not enough time actually shooting let alone shooting at distance. Get off the 50/100 yard line.

Start with a varmint weight barreled Rem/Savage/Howa, tune up the bolt/firing pin/trigger/box mag, bed it, shoot it for a year.

Buy reloading equipment with the $700 left over from your original mythical build.

Yes you will not have bragging/bling/show and tell rights for the first year, but you will at least know how to shoot and possible reload.

locosway
07-04-2012, 9:31 PM

Before jumping into the high dollar items, maybe you should pickup a good entry level rifle and then see what you like or don't like.

Also depending on the distance and length of the bullet you want to shoot (heavier is usually longer), you may want to opt out of the 5R barrel and get a standard Rem 700 and then get an after market barrel down the road when you're ready to really push the rifle to it's limits.

The AICS stocks are absolutely great, but pricey. They won't help you learn long range shooting any better, but will help once you're shooting as good as your rifle will let you.

If it was me I'd go with a $600 Rem 700 and get some good glass on it and learn the basics. Then add what I feel would make me a better shooter. Alternatively, you could pickup a Savage rifle and get a better out of the box experience, but you'll run a little shallow on the aftermarket that way.

tay
07-05-2012, 9:33 AM
2nd, just got mine.

Great bolt rifle for shooting within 250yds, which doesn't hurt the wallet.

If you like tacticool, you might consider the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle.

http://i45.tinypic.com/opw7tc.jpg

gorenut
07-05-2012, 11:54 AM
I've been thinking a lot about bolts as well. I really like the looks of Tikkas.. but their mags are so expensive and the guns themselves seem kinda hard to find locally.

Other guns that caught my eye are the CZ 527 and the Savage 10 FCM Scout.. but chambered in 7.62x39.

santacruzstefan
07-08-2012, 10:09 AM

Beautiful rifle, and I know you do good work (if you worked on this rifle yourself). I'll have to see if its still for sale in a week or so when I have my money together. Would that be a good twist rate for a wide weight range of bullets?

kendog4570
07-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Beautiful rifle, and I know you do good work (if you worked on this rifle yourself). I'll have to see if its still for sale in a week or so when I have my money together. Would that be a good twist rate for a wide weight range of bullets?

Its a 12" twist. LOVES 168's. You will have to test further for different bullets. I have a 12" twist Win 70 Target that shoots 175's and 180's better than 168's, but conventional "wisdom" says it should be better with the lighter bullets. In reality, a 12 or 10 will shoot most anything of .30 cal match bullets just fine. The 11 twist was for folks that couldn't decide, 14 for bench guns shooting lighter bullets only. It's the uniformity of the barrel, and the care with which it was set up that really decides accuracy.
This gun was built for NRA highpower competiton. It will most likely out shoot the current off-the-shelf guns from Remington.

MT1
07-08-2012, 11:04 AM
I bought a 5r just before Black Friday last year. I had read about it all over the internet and then saw it at Turners. I got a really good deal on it and couldn't say no, not realizing what I was getting myself into. It's been 7 months and I haven't shot it yet because all this scope stuff with reticles and first focal plane vs 2nd focal plane, moa vs mil, and the insane amounts of reticles has kept me from moving forward. Make sure you do your research first.

Damn man, just go buy an SWFA SS10x42 fixed power to get started and then down the line sell it and buy a nicer scope - I used one for years and shot 700+ yards with it.

TheHammerOfTruth
07-08-2012, 11:46 AM
^^^ What he said. I have a Savage in .308 and for the price it shoots just as well as any 700 I've shot. Spend your money on a nice optic, get your dope and practice your math.

I agree, you no longer need to spend a ton of money to get an accurate bolt rifle. If you spend some cash on glass and ammo you will come out on top as long as you start with a good platform. I found out the hard way also, my Savage 20" precision carbine will shoot with, and out shoot my rifles I spent 3 or 4 times as much on. Granted, those rifles look cooler but they dont shoot any better.

kendog4570
07-08-2012, 12:16 PM
One good indicator of true accuracy can be done by checking the rifles in the winners circle at competitions like NRA highpower, NRA long range, NRA F class, the new precision classes, long range bench rest, etc. Anything that truly stretches the rifle/ammo combination out past 100 yards and establishes repeatable accuracy and zero's over mutiple rounds fired at distance.