View Full Version : Mosin Nagant Headspace

07-01-2012, 9:31 PM
I just started the paperwork on a Mosin at Turners. I'd like to check the headspace before I shoot it though. I checked with Jim Hoag, but he said he didn't have any gauges. Does any smith in the LA or San Fernando Valley area have the capability to check it for me? Thanks

07-01-2012, 10:53 PM
if its chock full of cosmoline its been arsenal refurbished. headspace will be fine then and the best thing you can do to keep from having problems with the rifle is to strip it completely and de-cosmo the metal parts barrel and chamber esp. using something that dissolves cosmoline like mineral spirits, if you wish to decosmo the stock heat and making it bleed out is really the only way, its much harder and time consuming but less important.

only thing i would check if its "brand new" from an importer is the firing pin protrusion and the handy muli tool they come with will tell if you if that is set correctly.

i have 2 mosins one from big 5 and another from a fellow cal gunner. unless someone tinkers with the gun after it was imported headspace is not an issue on them.

07-01-2012, 11:14 PM
It is said that Mosin Nagants generally don't have headspace issues. I agree with dmax11 check your firing pin protrusion and clean it, you should be good to go.

07-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Whenever I buy a Mosin, I check headspace by firing it the first time one handed holding it as far away from my head and body as possible.

It's also better to use your left hand, that way if you lose your fingers you still have the good ones JMHO.

07-02-2012, 6:40 AM
A Field headspace gauge costs all of $26.00 on Amazon. I bought one and now have peace of mind for less than a trip to the gunsmith would cost.

I agree with the others, the lawyers for Big 5 would never be letting them sell 70 year old rifles that could kaboom, they would be sued immediately but if you buy PPT or from a smaller shop, it doesn't hurt to check the headspace.

07-02-2012, 8:20 AM
Here's some light reading for you while you wait out the jail time.

Mosin Nagant Rifle Exploded Views and Disassembly (http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm)

Disassembly & Reassembly of the Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 Rifle (http://www.scribd.com/doc/53013502/mosin189130disassembly2004)

Note: I did not disassemble as thoroughly as shown.
Didn't bother with removing the front and rear barrel band springs, nose cap, and stock recoil bolt.
Or the front sight, rear sight, and extractor.
Just as far as I needed to comfortably clean all the metal parts.