PDA

View Full Version : Bowfishing Noob

gunace89
07-01-2012, 7:58 PM
Hey guys im a long time fisherman and recently ive been really interested in trying bowfishing. Looks like a f'n blast. Ive got a couple questions that hopefully you guys can help me with.

1. I live in the Sac area, does anyone know of places around here that can be fished? I feel like ive seen video online of a canal being fished but I dont know where though.
2. Do you need a boat to successfully bowfish, or can one also be successful from the bank/wading into the water?
3. Since carp is a trash fish how do you go about disposing of them?

DirtyDave
07-01-2012, 10:06 PM
1. Clearlake has a big Tournament every year. I'm sure there are a lot of other places up there that allow bowfishing too.

2. Boat is not needed, but can be a big help depending on where you are trying to fish. I shoot from the shoreline/docks all the time. Wading into the water is ok at best. Elevation is the KEY to seeing and shooting more fish. There are a couple spots where I take an 8' A-frame ladder and wade out into about 3-4' of water. set up the ladder and stand on top of it. This puts the bottom of my feet about 4' out of the water. Really helps to see more fish. I shoot a lot of fish from docks too, they like to hang around any kind of structure.

3. Fertilizer for your garden, Coyote bait pile, dump them in the woods to feed the bears. Disposing of them can be tricky to do without being an A-hole and putting them in your neighbors trash or leaving them on the shore at the lake!

Check out Bowfishingcountry.com there are quite a few guy on there from N.Cal

spectr17
07-01-2012, 10:33 PM
3. Since carp is a trash fish how do you go about disposing of them?

Says the people who never smoked them and ate them. Catfish, crab and lobster are also bottom feeders, you have to wonder why no one calls them trash.

gunace89
07-01-2012, 10:59 PM
1. Clearlake has a big Tournament every year. I'm sure there are a lot of other places up there that allow bowfishing too.

2. Boat is not needed, but can be a big help depending on where you are trying to fish. I shoot from the shoreline/docks all the time. Wading into the water is ok at best. Elevation is the KEY to seeing and shooting more fish. There are a couple spots where I take an 8' A-frame ladder and wade out into about 3-4' of water. set up the ladder and stand on top of it. This puts the bottom of my feet about 4' out of the water. Really helps to see more fish. I shoot a lot of fish from docks too, they like to hang around any kind of structure.

3. Fertilizer for your garden, Coyote bait pile, dump them in the woods to feed the bears. Disposing of them can be tricky to do without being an A-hole and putting them in your neighbors trash or leaving them on the shore at the lake!

Check out Bowfishingcountry.com there are quite a few guy on there from N.Cal

Thank you for the information, ill check out that website and try to get a better feel for the local area.

Says the people who never smoked them and ate them. Catfish, crab and lobster are also bottom feeders, you have to wonder why no one calls them trash.

I guess I acquate them too coyote, sure ive heard of people making coyote jerky but I wouldnt. I had heard of some people eating carp, but for the most part they just seem to dispose of them.

stockranger
07-01-2012, 11:50 PM
You slit them open up the belly so they sink and throw them back in the lake. Carp are the scum of the earth. Not because they feed on the bottom or taste bad but because they just love to eat the eggs of gamefish such as bass.

DirtyDave
07-02-2012, 8:44 AM
You slit them open up the belly so they sink and throw them back in the lake.

DO NOT DO THIS. The whole point is to get them out of the lakes

DirtyDave
07-02-2012, 8:47 AM

Jesse, I smoked and ate some carp from the first time we went to big bear a few years ago. Had decent flavor but nothing I was crazy about. Too many little "Y" bones in there. Too much effort for carp. I think I remember you saying you also grind them into fish patties.

tony270
07-02-2012, 9:24 AM
Any real poor folks from the country will tell you that as long as you take your time carp are good to eat. The flesh is palatable to me but I eat fast and it has too many bones for that. I've seen people pick a carp clean with only a loaf of bread to help it down, and they end up being happy after that. They also say that if you fry carp hard the bones just trun crunchy and become eatable.

I was once told that the carp has a very small area in the tail that a fillet will come off of, the fillet for the most part no matter how big the fish is will be about the size of a silver dollar.

Coded-Dude
07-02-2012, 9:37 AM
There are some spots on the river banks around sac that my buddies use... I'll see if I can find out.

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications device.

mif_slim
07-02-2012, 10:24 AM
I know of places in sac but I dont know if carrying a bow in the area will draw attention. hhahaha.

gunace89
07-02-2012, 2:10 PM
There are some spots on the river banks around sac that my buddies use... I'll see if I can find out.

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications device.

I had heard of people along the river also but had yet to ever see anyone bowfishing, that would be great if I could get an idea on where those places might be. I also dont know the legality of bowfishing on the river either. Knowing sac probably not in our favor.

I know of places in sac but I dont know if carrying a bow in the area will draw attention. hhahaha.

lol Yeah unfortunately it probably would bring unwanted attention.

spectr17
07-02-2012, 9:54 PM
Any real poor folks from the country will tell you that as long as you take your time carp are good to eat.

During the depression gillnetters along the Mississippi River shipped carp to NY and told the buyers it was cod. The rich folks that bought the cod carp loved it. It's just not the country folks or poor folks who fish for and eat carp, in Europe is the most popular fishing there.

You can't filet carp or try and cut the bones out, you have 2 choices to deal with the bones. Grind it into patties or slice it thin and deep fry it in hot oil. Both make the tiny bones safe to eat. This also works for other fish with a lot of bones like shad, pike etc. Some of you know the chef/hunter Hank Shaw, he just posted his Honegiri tempura way to deal with bony fish like carp.

http://honest-food.net/2009/05/28/fried-shad-recipe/

At least eat some before saying it's a trash fish.

On the coyote jerky, I've only seen ONE person claim that and I'd consider the source. No one I know or have heard of has eaten coyote.

Shoot-it
07-03-2012, 6:35 PM
During the depression gillnetters along the Mississippi River shipped carp to NY and told the buyers it was cod. The rich folks that bought the cod carp loved it. It's just not the country folks or poor folks who fish for and eat carp, in Europe is the most popular fishing there.

You can't filet carp or try and cut the bones out, you have 2 choices to deal with the bones. Grind it into patties or slice it thin and deep fry it in hot oil. Both make the tiny bones safe to eat. This also works for other fish with a lot of bones like shad, pike etc. Some of you know the chef/hunter Hank Shaw, he just posted his Honegiri tempura way to deal with bony fish like carp.

http://honest-food.net/2009/05/28/fried-shad-recipe/

At least eat some before saying it's a trash fish.

On the coyote jerky, I've only seen ONE person claim that and I'd consider the source. No one I know or have heard of has eaten coyote.
Those carp can put up a great fight.I have a spot all to me along the merced river i am going to try the bow on them.It's all to me because my family has 200 acers that boarder it ;)

mif_slim
07-03-2012, 7:54 PM
Actually, as long as its navigatable its everyone...they just can't step on your property.

gunace89
07-03-2012, 8:22 PM
Those carp can put up a great fight.I have a spot all to me along the merced river i am going to try the bow on them.It's all to me because my family has 200 acers that boarder it ;)

Nice! Well if you dont mind keeping us informed on how you do.

stockranger
07-03-2012, 9:19 PM
DO NOT DO THIS. The whole point is to get them out of the lakes

That makes no sense. The point is to kill them so they do not eat the eggs of gamefish. They do not contain fertalized eggs and so by slicing them open they sink to the bottom and become food for the gamefish. Or they can be used as bait. This way they don't go to waste as most people just kill them for sport and I don't know anyone who eats them. Or you can leave it for the birds but I hate seagulls and quail don't eat carp. Back into the lake and a gamefish will soon be along to eat it. Whatever you do, if you aren't going to eat it leave it out there so the nutrients can return to the eco system rather then end up in the landfill. Dead fish make good fertalizer for plants too.

Shoot-it
07-04-2012, 7:54 PM
Yes your right mif-slim they can float the river and some do.that river is so low you can walk in it and fish the deep holes.