PDA

View Full Version : What buffer/spring should I use w/ my SR-15 upper

projectalpha
07-01-2012, 7:56 PM
Hey guys, this is my 1st AR build. I'm kind of stuck on which buffer/spring I should get for use w/ the SR-15e3 upper? What brands do you guys recommend (if there are some better than others)? Thanks!

AfghanVetOrcutt
07-01-2012, 8:34 PM
Hey guys, this is my 1st AR build. I'm kind of stuck on which buffer/spring I should get for use w/ the SR-15e3 upper? What brands do you guys recommend (if there are some better than others)? Thanks!

What length is your barrel and gas tube? Are you going to be shooting .223 or 5.56?

projectalpha
07-01-2012, 9:17 PM
What length is your barrel and gas tube? Are you going to be shooting .223 or 5.56?

Barrel is 16" and gas tube is mid-length. I'll be shooting mainly 5.56.

Jpach
07-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Barrel is 16" and gas tube is mid-length. I'll be shooting mainly 5.56.

IIRC it is an "Enhanced/Modified Mid-length," not sure if that makes a difference or not. I'm curious about this as well.

Ruiner
07-02-2012, 3:27 AM
IIRC it is an "Enhanced/Modified Mid-length," not sure if that makes a difference or not. I'm curious about this as well.

Most of us just use the standard or H buffers. I use an H on mine simply because that's what I had on hand when I assembled the rifle and it didn't give me any issues with the ammo I use.

Army
07-02-2012, 7:55 AM
H buffer and one of David Tubbs flat wire recoil springs.

The spring is of one length regardless if it will be used for rifle or carbine.

Tried one, and now have them in all my AR's. Much smoother operation, less "sproing", noticably less felt recoil.

tomd1584
07-02-2012, 9:52 AM
Here you go

The Knight's Armament Corporation SR-15 is a premium weapon system which is engineered from start to finish to provide users with a reliable, low recoil weapon system.

The heart of this upper is a lightweight profile, chrome hammer forged barrel with a number of unique features. Hammer forging ensures longer service life compared to button rifled barrels, and the light weight enhances usability and portability. This barrel also features a tighter diameter gas port than with most rack grade guns, allowing for smoother operation and less felt recoil when using standard carbine weight buffers. This upper is designed to run with light recoil, and maximum reliability with standard power action springs, and light (standard) weight carbine buffers

This upper features a completely redesigned bolt and barrel extension which is 50% thicker and vastly increases long term durability greatly. Bolt lugs have long been considered a weakness in AR15/M16 durability, with bolt replacement recommended at 5000 rounds. The KAC redesigned bolt and barrel extension greatly enhance service life and durability.

A Knight's Armament URX-II complete quad rail rail system with an integrated front sight free floats the barrel to enhance accuracy, and allows bottom rail removal for easy cleaning of the barrel and servicing.

projectalpha
07-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys. I bought an H buffer with a carbine action spring from Bravo Company. Can't wait to test it!

Dhena81
07-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Tomd1584 answered your question already and you still went and bought an H buffer :confused:

Running an H buffer in a SR-15 upper will most likely cause you problems the closest buffer weight that comes in a complete SR-15 is the carbine weight.

projectalpha
07-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Tomd1584 answered your question already and you still went and bought an H buffer :confused:

Running an H buffer in a SR-15 upper will most likely cause you problems the closest buffer weight that comes in a complete SR-15 is the carbine weight.

I actually bought it before he responded. I've heard from the research i've done that the buffer on the actual SR15 is between the standard and H. I've seen builds here and other forums w/ the SR upper that have H buffers and they don't seem to have problems. What kind of problems do you think an H will cause?

Dhena81
07-02-2012, 1:07 PM
I actually bought it before he responded. I've heard from the research i've done that the buffer on the actual SR15 is between the standard and H. I've seen builds here and other forums w/ the SR upper that have H buffers and they don't seem to have problems. What kind of problems do you think an H will cause?

Short stroking

marknconnie
07-02-2012, 1:21 PM
I'm running a Sr15 upper 16 inch with the spikes st t2 (h2) buffer and have on used wolf cheap ammo only.. I've run thousands of rounds thru it(hard)without any problems.. just keep it lubed up.

Plisk
07-02-2012, 1:24 PM
He'll be fine with an H buffer.

Ruiner
07-02-2012, 5:19 PM

It won't. I wouldn't go any heavier tho.