PDA

View Full Version : Polish Archer AK (Beryl) Review

MilitaryArms
07-01-2012, 3:05 PM
JLzMOfCk8yg

m03
07-01-2012, 4:10 PM
Nice! 1 inch group @ 100 yards with iron sights? I'm impressed.

MilitaryArms
07-01-2012, 5:43 PM
It's one of the most accurate AK's I've ever fired. The only other AK that shot 1" groups at 100 yards was a Krebs Custom .308 SOCOM (video on my page).

Merc1138
07-01-2012, 5:51 PM
Well at least you also pointed out the IO inc problems with the rifle(safety, muzzle device) instead of pretending they weren't an issue like a certain IO inc shill on youtube.

What worries me is the cost of this thing, and that's without the accessories like the rail. $1300, I doubt the rail is going to be cheap. If it shoots fine that's great, but when you're talking about a final cost that's going to likely be above $1400(lets ignore the IO inc problems for a moment), I expect a lot more ak for my money. Hopefully some other companies come along and introduce some competition to get the cost down.

kpinole
07-01-2012, 6:19 PM
Nice review....looks like I found a new YouTube channel! ;)

m03
07-01-2012, 6:35 PM
Well at least you also pointed out the IO inc problems with the rifle(safety, muzzle device) instead of pretending they weren't an issue like a certain IO inc shill on youtube.

What worries me is the cost of this thing, and that's without the accessories like the rail. $1300, I doubt the rail is going to be cheap. If it shoots fine that's great, but when you're talking about a final cost that's going to likely be above $1400(lets ignore the IO inc problems for a moment), I expect a lot more ak for my money. Hopefully some other companies come along and introduce some competition to get the cost down.

Don't expect the cost on the Archer to come down. There have been various attempts to import Radom-built AKs for at least a decade, which to my understanding have been held up due to the high price that Radom wanted for their rifles.

IIRC, the rail system is around $200, and the Beryl folders can be found (used) for around $100.

Merc1138
07-01-2012, 6:39 PM
Don't expect the cost on the Archer to come down. There have been various attempts to import Radom-built AKs for at least a decade, which to my understanding have been held up due to the high price that Radom wanted for their rifles.

IIRC, the rail system is around $200, and the Beryl folders can be found (used) for around $100.

Even if the price doesn't come down(and as I said I knew the rail wasn't going to be cheap), at the very least the possibility of another company besides IO Inc handling it would be better.

As far as cost, popularity(if it ever gets popular) and volume(for a lot of things, the more you want, the better the deal you get) could make a difference in the long run.

elSquid
07-01-2012, 8:59 PM
Solid review.

$1300 is a fair bit of coin. Although, if it was completely kitted out for that price, and if I could swap muzzle devices... :D

-- Michael

MrExel17
07-01-2012, 9:21 PM
Might have to look into it, thanks for sharing!

chead
07-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Desperate to get my hands on one!

bighead
07-02-2012, 1:33 PM
An AK that prints 1MOA, I figured more peole would be interested.

Elwood_Blues
07-02-2012, 7:26 PM
I gotta get one! It is that much more special to me since I'm Polish. I love the eagle on the side of it.

Merc1138
07-02-2012, 7:30 PM
An AK that prints 1MOA, I figured more peole would be interested.

Not for $1300 with no accessories from that company. Think about it, a $1300 rifle and they can't get the bolt hold open notch in the safety to work right... really? The funky muzzle end is one thing, but they might as well have left the safety intact.

chead
07-02-2012, 9:43 PM
It's a gun either for a very specific niche or for AK nerds. I'm an AK nerd.

Javi
07-02-2012, 9:52 PM
Saw this review earlier today, another good one from you! I mentioned it in your comments but I was watching this at 3 in the morning and I don't know anything about Beryl AK's. I thought the Wolf you were shooting was 7.62x39 and I became really confused and worried about you when you brought out the Federal 5.56 :D Had to rewind back to the Wolf clip to read it properly. I was a little hesitant about this review with the title mentioning "I.O."

Dhena81
07-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Seems like you lost some weight Mac.

Is the MD considered a brake or a flash suppressor?

Depending on the MD I wonder if Atlantic firearms would either make these featureless for us CA folks or shave the mag release to facilitate a mag lock like a solar tactical. I've never dealt with AF so maybe someone here knows.

Secret
07-03-2012, 12:29 AM
i wonder how a saiga 223 would match up against this. Opinions anyone?

MrPlink
07-03-2012, 2:53 AM
Dhena, I was thinkin the same thing. Of course, then I started thinkin about the price again. . . .

FiveSeven
07-03-2012, 3:29 AM
i wonder how a saiga 223 would match up against this. Opinions anyone?

About the same, in majority of cases, guns shoot better than the person.
Nothing about it mechanically speaking is different from Saiga.

Atlantic Firearms
07-03-2012, 4:57 AM
Yes we will be glad to make them featureless for CA and can offer discounts for CAL GUNS members please email us directly for details and please mention your cal guns user name. sales@atlanticfirearms.com

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data/default/images/catalog/large/I.o-Archer.jpg

vintagedude88
07-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Too pricey for an AK variant.

For the same money or less, I can build or buy an AR that does the same.

Keep in mind I'm mainly an AK guy and the only AR I have is a stripped lower I hope to build some day.

m03
07-03-2012, 1:13 PM
For the same money or less, I can build or buy an AR that does the same.

You can certainly get a quality AR for that price, so it stands to reason that a comparable quality AK could be in the same price range as well, especially when you take into consideration the changes in the political climate of those countries who manufacture them (no more slave labor these days).

IMHO, the only comparable AK rifles that you can buy readily aren't available in this state (pre-922r factory-built rifles), with a handful of exceptions, and all of those are in the same price range anyway.

Here's an eye-opening post by a Polish fellow from M4C:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1339549&postcount=8

Some of civilian Beryls do not have, some have 3rd rivet (my Mini Beryl has 3 rivets). FB Radom does not see 3rd rivet as important on rifles that are not intended to shoot barrel mounted grenades. Archer also lacks receiver cover lock-out device, that is supposed to prevent cover from separating when launching barrel mounted grenades ("supposed" because this is reported by troops to not prevent it 100%, but it sure makes disassembly and assembly harder).

Lack of left side fire selector is probably not I.O. fault. Those levers do not function as safety and for civilian Beryl they must be removed, because rifle with it, even non-working, is considered machine gun by Polish Police and banned for civilian sales. FB probably did not install them "by default".

Most important change is muzzle device. It was made to make rifle 922r compliant, but I know that there are actions taken to address this problem.

Actually most of the problems pointed on initial (small) lot of rifles made are to be addressed (as far as 922r allows*).

Can not say what about price, but cost of manufacture for Beryl is high. I do not see Beryl to become cheap AK.

Cost comes from equipment used (3, 4 and 5 axis CNC machines, newest Zeiss measuring equipment next to CNC machines, cold hammer forging machine, QPQ nitriding station, etc) and in huge part from extensive quality assurance process at each step of manufacture of each part of the rifle. Plus cost of modern, computer controlled ballistics stations, that each rifle goes trough (shooting for function, accuracy and zeroed using Olympic games grade electronic targets). Not to mention quite high labor costs coming from high taxes, high social security cost and strong trade unions.

I did not have a clue how much FB Radom changed under skin of old "Łucznik" buildings, unit I managed to go there and see rifles made, tested and to talk to people who make them and to see how they work.

* FB Radom insisted that they will not allow any part that is important to rifle quality and function to come from outside of their factory. To allow for right parts count they agreed on US muzzle device, stock, grip and 3 trigger parts (I believe I.O. uses Tapco - FB got themselves some Tapco for more testing, to make sure those triggers are 100% in Beryl).

gao1976
07-03-2012, 7:46 PM
Nice review....looks like I found a new YouTube channel! ;)

thats actually bad new for you, believe it or not, Mr. Sturmgewehre will help you to spend your cash faster than you can imagine . His reviews will make you wanna buy stuff . :D