PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Regret buying a Tactical Heavy Barrel Bolt Rifle?

insin
07-01-2012, 1:45 PM
Hello all,
I am a gun owner that does not own a bolt rifle. I always have my eye out for potentials. Originally I wanted a black heavy profile barrel tactical type bolt action rifle with a huge high power scope But over the last few years that obsession gave way to a more reasonable thought/question... What am I really going to use this rifle for?

I know that some of us still have those SHTF tactical situations that we play out in our head, so we feel we need to have the tools for those hypothetical situations (despite the fact we may or may not have the training). But, am I really going to be perched on a roof top taking repeated 200 yard precision shots? Really? With a rifle that weighs good knows what? Not very likely even in the most F'ed up SHTF scenarios that I can dream up. I had to face it, I don't even hunt animals (at this time), so why would I need a rifle designed to hunt people?

Okay, so most likely I need a really decent high caliber (.308, 30-06, etc) rifle that can "accurate enough" to get my rocks off at the range and light enough so that if that possibly ever arises for me to try hunting, I have a rifle that serves that role to. I am leaning toward a Win. Model 70 featherweight.

Anyone else go through this evolution in thinking about bolt rifles? Maybe its just me.

donw
07-01-2012, 2:05 PM
i have three heavy barreled BA and my AR has a heavy barrel.

the heavy barrel is better at resisting the "whip" effect when firing, doesn't heat up as quickly, enables holding on target better...

most, BA, 'precision' rifles of today, are of heavy barrel configuration; there must be logical reasons.

the "Roof top, tactical" scenario you describe is NOT my idea of why i have the heavy barrels...truth be known, for "Tactical" shooting a feather weight barrel would probably work as well as seldom is there ever more than one or two shots fired under those conditions, and even less seldom is automatic or rapid fire employed...barrel overheat is not normally an issue.

i like the heavy barrels for the reasons i opened with.

Omega13device
07-01-2012, 2:18 PM
But over the last few years that obsession gave way to a more reasonable thought/question... What am I really going to use this rifle for?

This is exactly the right question to ask.

If you want to shoot tiny groups at the range then I'd actually go with a heavier profile barrel because it will be stiffer. You'll either be shooting prone or from a bench anyway so the weight isn't a big issue. If you're hunting then the priorities are different because you're lugging it all over creation.

And having a precision rifle doesn't mean you're REQUIRED to have ridiculous SHTF fantasies even though a lot of people do.

Finally keep in mind that people buy and sell rifles all the time as they learn more about what works and doesn't work for them. Don't get a case of analysis paralysis because you're looking for the "perfect" rifle.

Quickdraw Mcgraw
07-01-2012, 2:21 PM
insin- had most of the same thoughts regarding these heavy boltguns. One problem with those featherweights is they kick like one of Too Shorts favorite words.
After shootin several bolt guns I personally perfer really accurate semi autos. Probly my A.D.D.

G60
07-01-2012, 2:26 PM
The model 70 is one of the finest bolt-action rifles ever made, and will serve you well for many, many years. It's not called 'the rifleman's rifle' for no reason.

Here's a small writeup from Rob S that may help sway your decision:
http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/projects---guns/winchester-model-70

!Freedom!
07-01-2012, 2:30 PM
I have been considering this myself since I purchased a .270 WSM--Savage Model 12 FVSS--Heavy stainless fluted barrel. The problem I have is the caliber, not the weight. I can't afford to shoot .270 WSM the way I could afford to shoot .308 or 30-06. Get rifle you can shoot regularly so that you can get used to it and be comfortable with it in many "situations". Any buyers or trades for my rifle?

wooger
07-01-2012, 3:47 PM
reload for it.

baih777
07-01-2012, 5:21 PM
i bought a Savage fcp-k last xmas.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

24inch fluted barrel, already threaded for muzzle brake.
i changed the muzzle brake. added a cheel pad, and got a nice scope. only holds 4 rounds.
i only bench shoot 100 to 300 yards. not reloading yet. its heavy and looks good.
a 9 rd mag is $90.00. i have been happy with the 4 rd mag. you learn to take your time and it takes longer to shoot 40 to 50 rds.
it always goes to the range with me. as far as my other rifles i am always taking a different one.

Fjold
07-01-2012, 5:30 PM
Except for one, the heaviest barrels that I have are the Remington/Savage varmint profile. They're heavy enough for competition strings of shooting but not so heavy that I can't hunt with them.

a1fabweld
07-01-2012, 6:22 PM
No regrets buying a heavy barreled bolt gun & making it heavier by adding an AI chissis to it. It weighs more than a 7LB AR, but it's defiitely manageable. The weight does tame the recoil which leads to faster follow up shots.

On the other hand, some guys say a featherweight 5LB AR is too heavy. To each their own I guess?

Coyotegunner
07-01-2012, 6:33 PM
My heavy barrel stuff consists of a Rem Sendero,Rem Police,DPMS 24" varmint and DPMS 16"varmint.Being a lucky person I have those calibers duplicated in light rifles.The light rifles are a pleasure to carry and are every bit as accurate as the heavys.I run big heavy scopes on the heavys,and light scopes on the lights.
If you are asking I suggest a Tikka T3 light in 308.
No regret on any.

Seaweed02
07-01-2012, 6:41 PM
I have three different bolt action rifles that I keep scoped. And then I have a couple that aren't scoped.

I have a Remington 700 Sendero with a 24 inch fluted heavy barrel and a nice Leupold scope on it. It shoots 7mm mag and could be used for long distance shooting, either target or hunting. Lots of videos on Youtube about that gun. I love it because it is fun to shoot.

Then I have a Mauser K98 that I sent to a gunsmith in Vermont to have converted from 8mm mauser to 308/7.62x51 NATO. The gunsmith's name is Charlie Romero and he turned it into a brand new gun. He put a brand new unissued military .308 barrel on it, glass beaded it, free floated the barrel, refinished the metal surface and the wood stock, then mounted a Leupold scope on it that I sent him. Outstanding middle weight weapon that I can get out to say 600 yards with and bring down some meat.

Then I have a Windham Weaponry Varmint Exterminator. That is an AR15 with a 20 inch stainless steel fluted barrel, and you guessed it, another Leupold scope mounted on it. Can't miss with that rifle, but so far I don't think that I would shoot past 400-500 yards with it. At least I haven't found the right ammo yet.

Then I have a plain ole Yugoslavian M48 Mauser, that is so dead on target even open sights and with surplus corrosive military ammo, that you can't miss with that rifle either. Plenty good enough for the rooftop scenario out to a couple hundred yards and a little more. Either one of the Mausers are plenty light enough to pack around all day long.

Carl.

Mojaveman
07-01-2012, 8:59 PM
Good that you're being honest with yourself. Long range tactical shooting is an expensive hobby. You can shoot out to 500 yards or a little more with a light barreled inexpensive rifle. Winchester does make a geat product but I'd only buy the featherweight if I were going to do a lot of walking over hilly terrain. A lighter rifle means more recoil and a little less velocity and accuracy with a lighter and shorter barrel. When I buy a rifle I usually go with a standard weight and design.

Kappy
07-01-2012, 10:10 PM
I just built an AR... does that mean that I had to have a specific scenario trumped up in my head? No. I don't think I'm going to be holding off hordes of zombies/politicians, police gone bad, or neighbors in a disaster. I have it because I want to shoot it at 100 yards. At paper. From a bench. Who cares? I don't have to defend it... except to my wife.

If you want it, do it. An above poster was right... in that configuration, you're planning to shoot from a bench or prone.

sholling
07-01-2012, 11:29 PM
I had one for a while but found I never used it and sold it. But then again the longest range around here (long gone) at the time 200m. I just found that I had a lot more fun trying to get tight sub MOA groups out of target grade 22LRs at 50m. Perhaps if I had a 500+ yard range around here and the money to feed it I might buy a Savage Model 12 F/TR in 308 but even reloading that gets expensive.

As for a SHTF tool you're going to have a hard enough time explaining that 100yds was a self defense shot much less 500m.

darqhelmet
07-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Nope. I love my 10fcp-k.

Full Clip
07-02-2012, 1:55 AM
And having a precision rifle doesn't mean you're REQUIRED to have ridiculous SHTF fantasies even though a lot of people do.

Ah, thank goodness! I was worried that I'd have to become a member of the Tin-Foil Hat Club!
j/k

insin
07-02-2012, 7:26 AM
I just built an AR... does that mean that I had to have a specific scenario trumped up in my head? No. I don't think I'm going to be holding off hordes of zombies/politicians, police gone bad, or neighbors in a disaster. I have it because I want to shoot it at 100 yards. At paper. From a bench. Who cares? I don't have to defend it... except to my wife.

If you want it, do it. An above poster was right... in that configuration, you're planning to shoot from a bench or prone.

Perhaps it is just me then. Personally, I build my rifles and/or practice with them, with the idea that they have a purpose if I need to use them. I mean, if a situation arose where I needed to defend myself or family, I know which rifle/handgun/shotgun I would need to grab given the problem. I am not a SHTF dreamer, but I am practical. Its a personal decision/reflection on what I would be using a precision rifle for, and that would be basically hunting 4 legged animals potentially. I didn't want to convince YOU that you were wrong. I just wanted to know if anyone thought the way I did.

Thanks

X-NewYawker
07-02-2012, 2:38 PM
People hardly remember this, but you can get a heavy barrel Remington 700 bolt gun in .223 -- cheaper ammo than .308, some accessories on short action -- will except the conversion stocks to use the detachable Accuracy international .223 magazine -- I've got two of these puppies in .223 and at the distances I shoot, the caliber is sufficient

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Rifles/Demonchassisdone.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Rifles/P1000621.jpg

TwinStick
07-02-2012, 3:03 PM
I recognize that flooring

artoaster
07-02-2012, 3:28 PM
Use for hunting?

Lightweight barrel.

Never carry it in the field but shoot for precision prone or off a bench? Heavy barrel's the ticket.

Whiplash Actual
07-02-2012, 5:16 PM
Bull Barrels are sweet, from a 1911 to a .308.. As far as bolt actions go, **** like .308/30-06, etc. will heat your barrel up pretty fast. Thus, heavy barrels are prefered.

chino
07-02-2012, 8:26 PM
Everyone should have an accurate rifle, whether to determine the shooter's limitations or the reloads.
Accurate long distance shooting provides you with the following skills:
Optimum weapon positioning, handling, trigger control
Estimate wind, distance, angle effect
If you reload it is the conduit for reload verification, if you don't it is the best encouragement
One hundred rounds last you an entire day at the range :D

Renaissance Redneck
07-03-2012, 7:46 AM
My son's M40-clone (USMC sniper rifle; my son is a scout/sniper) is a beast. It's a tack driver, but it's one heavy dude. I love to shoot it in the prone, but I sure hate carrying it.

xibunkrlilkidsx
07-03-2012, 5:05 PM
nope. i bought mine as a heavy barrel rifle for long range shooting.

cfusionpm
07-03-2012, 5:21 PM
I like to sit at a bench and punch paper or lay prone and ding steel with this 13 lb. pile of fun. Only taken it to 600 yds, but it's pretty dead on, even with a 20" barrel.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/390287_10100655997547484_1414970075_n.jpg

vandal
07-03-2012, 8:01 PM
Yeah, I had a 20" LTR that was great from a bench. I had nothing else for deer hunting so I tried using it for that. Not fun.

dgax65
07-03-2012, 10:42 PM
My first bolt action rifle was a Remington 700 SPS Varmint (26" HB) with a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock, Leupold Mk 4 4.5-14X50 scope and a Harris bipod.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee513/dgax65/Hunting%20and%20Shooting/Rem700SPS-VMNT006Medium.jpg

It was great at the range, but it was not ideal for hunting. I took a deer with it, but I'll never take a rifle like that hunting again. After a couple of days of trekking around the mountains with that beast, I decided that something shorter, lighter and better balanced was needed.

BradleyAbrams
07-04-2012, 1:55 AM
I think that you should consider geting a Bolt Gun which straddles the best of both worlds - Heavy Barrel AND Lighter weight.

This should be a ( .308 ) Carbine with a Heavy Barrel - 20" long.

It should deliver excellent performance out-of-the-box, feature the best possible Factory Trigger and Stock available..And it should be priced reasonably, not as if it were an exotic platform.

The answer, IMHO, is the Savage 10PC - Precision Carbine.

This Rifle Shooter Magazine article linked below reviews the Savage 10PC in some detail - including such items as the Accutrigger & Accustock features, Heavy barrel 20" long, and detachable, bottomfed 4-round magazine - Also, I would suggest that you may want to read the comments to the fatured article..

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2010/09/23/featured_rifles_rs_savagemod10pc_201008/

Disclaimer: I do not work for Savage Arms or any distributor or associate of theirs.

I DO own a Savage 10PC Carbine in .308, pictured below, and I am very satisfied with this Firearm.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/blndyhb/IMG_1578-1.jpg

---

Mail Clerk
07-04-2012, 7:53 AM
Hello all,
I am a gun owner that does not own a bolt rifle. I always have my eye out for potentials. Originally I wanted a black heavy profile barrel tactical type bolt action rifle with a huge high power scope But over the last few years that obsession gave way to a more reasonable thought/question... What am I really going to use this rifle for?

I know that some of us still have those SHTF tactical situations that we play out in our head, so we feel we need to have the tools for those hypothetical situations (despite the fact we may or may not have the training). But, am I really going to be perched on a roof top taking repeated 200 yard precision shots? Really? With a rifle that weighs good knows what? Not very likely even in the most F'ed up SHTF scenarios that I can dream up. I had to face it, I don't even hunt animals (at this time), so why would I need a rifle designed to hunt people?

Okay, so most likely I need a really decent high caliber (.308, 30-06, etc) rifle that can "accurate enough" to get my rocks off at the range and light enough so that if that possibly ever arises for me to try hunting, I have a rifle that serves that role to. I am leaning toward a Win. Model 70 featherweight.

Anyone else go through this evolution in thinking about bolt rifles? Maybe its just me.

isin,

I never regreted getting my Remington heavy.....If you need to get your rocks off at the range you do need to rethink cuz shooting from he bench with a bolt action is a whole different ball of wax compared to shooting a semi. If your on a budget I'd consider a Savage "tactical". There just as good as the Remingtons if not better with the "accu-trigger". Since ammo is so expensive I just might pull out my Remington again and have a nice relaxing time at the range.

Mail Clerk

nic
07-04-2012, 8:01 AM
I like to sit at a bench and punch paper or lay prone and ding steel with this 13 lb. pile of fun. Only taken it to 600 yds, but it's pretty dead on, even with a 20" barrel.

I shoot with plenty of guys who run 20" bbl .308s and make regular, consistent hits at 1k with 175SMKs.

Hamstur
07-04-2012, 10:50 AM
I've got two 308's with thick Medium Varmint (like Bartlein 7) contours and two 308's with Medium Palmas (like Bartlein 11).

After having lots of trigger time behind them ... the MTU (both 23") are more accurate and capable of ~0.3 MOA paper performance out to 200 yards ... the Medium Palmas (18.5" and 20") push about ~0.5 MOA paper performance out to 200 yards.

Because of their weight, very acceptable accuracy and handiness, I shoot the Palma barreled ones a lot more.

If recoil is an issue, go 6.5mm. My heavy sporter with scope and Atlas runs less than 10 pounds total and recoils less than my heavy 308s ... and shoots further.