PDA

View Full Version : *Update post 21*Attention AR, and AK pistol shooters at United Sportman in Concord!*

nicoroshi
07-01-2012, 1:13 PM
I decided to go out shooting today at United Sportsman in Concord.
One of the guns I decided to bring was my milled M70 pistol.

I had been shooting it without issue for years there but was told today that USI would no longer allow AR or AK pistols on their public range.

When I inquired "why" I was told that a member shooting a pistol gripped shotgun had broken their nose while firing it.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Over!

Firstly I was under the impression that pistol gripped shotguns were already not allowed on the public rifle, and pistol range (been that way since I have been shooting there).
Secondly what does the recoil from a shotgun have to do with the recoil from 5.56 or 7.62x39?

I plan to attend the meeting at 7PM this Thursday July 5th in the clubhouse to see if the rational behind this 'Ban' on certain firearms on the public range can be explained to me as well as the membership's thinking of how the recoil from 12Ga is anywhere comparable to that of 5.56 or 7.62x39. I would also like to know where this injury occured since pistol gripped shotguns are already not allowed on the public range.

Any support from other members that shoot at USI would be greatly appreciated on Thursday.
It's bad enough when our state government tries to ban certain legal firearms due to bad information/ inexperience with them but to have a local range do the same thing is unacceptable IMHO.

Thank you for reading, and hope to see you on Thursday night.
Nico

Capybara
07-01-2012, 1:26 PM
Oh brother, sounds like they have been having a beer with Senator Yee. I would find a better, non-nanny minded range.

Carsgunsandchics
07-01-2012, 1:37 PM
When are they going to ban pistol gripped pistols? Knee jerk reaction to someones mistake at it's worst.

G lock
07-01-2012, 1:43 PM
Im guessing something similar to this occurred with a pistol grip shotgun

http://i.imgur.com/odC6s.gif

Cyc Wid It
07-01-2012, 1:48 PM
That gif is strangely mesmerizing.

Full Clip
07-01-2012, 1:51 PM
Perhaps they should ban all firearms from the gun range. It would be a lot safer.

Tango_Whiskey
07-01-2012, 2:06 PM
I'm a member there and I've never heard of that rule. Must be an insurance thing.

nicoroshi
07-01-2012, 2:08 PM
I'm a member there and I've never heard of that rule. Must be an insurance thing.

New ruling (please re-read my OP).
I have shot my AK pistols there for years without issue.
Today that was different, and I was asked/ told I couldn't shoot it there anymore.

Capybara
07-01-2012, 3:19 PM
The should not be banning the pistols or pistol gripped shotguns. If shooters do stupid things, that is the burden of shooting and not using your brain but why the range feels the need to police this points back to the most evil force in the universe, their lawyers. Lawyers just live on risk assessment and I am sure that their lawyer told them that they needed to do this or risk getting sued.

mreed
07-01-2012, 3:26 PM
If their logic makes any sense we should ban the internet because people use it for pirating....

skosh69
07-01-2012, 3:38 PM
That's a bummer. Sorry to hear you had a negative experience there. Will try and make Thurs. meeting for support.

vandal
07-01-2012, 8:20 PM
"The insurance thing" was rolled out to me as the reason why I would not be allowed to reload from a magazine pouch on my belt. That sounds like a fallback "I can't explain why what you're doing is wrong I just don't like it."

itisagoodname
07-01-2012, 8:29 PM
Might as well just ban all guns at the shooting range. Maybe allow Airsoft only? With biodegradable bb's of course.

mreed
07-02-2012, 9:16 AM
^ lol :)

mif_slim
07-02-2012, 9:23 AM
Might as well just ban all guns at the shooting range. Maybe allow Airsoft only? With biodegradable bb's of course.

Cant do that either, some airsoft is shooting over 400fps. That can poke an eye out.

Im thinking McDonnald Straws and napkins for spitwads.

Chunker
07-02-2012, 9:28 AM
Cant do that either, some airsoft is shooting over 400fps. That can poke an eye out.

Im thinking McDonnald Straws and napkins for spitwads.

Naaa...cause then you could spread disease...=)

mif_slim
07-02-2012, 9:52 AM
Naaa...cause then you could spread disease...=)

haha, your right! I didnt even think of that! Stupid me.

I guess we're left to only one thing. Using our fingers and pointing at targets and imagine we're getting sub-moa.

Lifeon2whls
07-02-2012, 10:09 AM
haha, your right! I didnt even think of that! Stupid me.

I guess we're left to only one thing. Using our fingers and pointing at targets and imagine we're getting sub-moa.

Hrmm no because then we might turn our hands into AW's with detachable mags. And some guys may even have unlimited ammo (depending on their imagination) and you know Lee would never stand for something like that.

:2guns:

Capybara
07-02-2012, 10:19 AM
And some guys may even have unlimited ammo (depending on their imagination) and you know LYee would never stand for something like that.

We have to know our enemies.

nicoroshi
07-05-2012, 9:22 PM
*Update*
Appears that Diablo Rod, and Gun cannot change the rulings of USI (they run the public rifle, and pistol range).
I have detailed my concerns to the president of Diablo Rod, and Gun who will be bringing it up at the USI meeting on Monday Night 7:30 PM at the Club House at USI.
I will be in attendance to ensure it gets brought up, and all points are made.

I would like to personally thank those that came tonight to show support, and humbly request members to attend the meeting on Monday night with me as well.

The banning of AK, and AR pistols based on an unfortunate incident involving a pistol gripped shotgun when other higher recoil pistols are still allowed on the range is unacceptable.