PDA

View Full Version : 25 feet from the car of course!

crackerman
07-01-2012, 9:50 AM
Since its the first day of the new hunting year and since my in laws are so close to San Jacinto WA I figured it was worth a nice armed morning hike. I saw a cotton tail about 10 min in but it was about 10 feet away behind a log and I could not angle to get a shot on it before it left.

Then i spent a couple of hours walking around most of the north end of SJ and saw a bunch of dove, a few barn owls, and 2 coyote pups. Finally after walking probably 7 miles and heading back to my car I flush a jack not 25 feet from my car. One shot behind, readjusted lead and my new 20g has its first blood and I haven first game in the bag 8 hours after the new season opens.

ETA, I confirmed my walking was actually over 7 miles with the Cabelas Recon Hunt app. Not a bad little thing for checking shoot times, mapping

rooster85
07-01-2012, 11:11 AM
That's one way to start the new season. That hind quarter looks like it took most of your shot. You gonna braise that thing or what?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

treffryraxter
07-01-2012, 1:44 PM
Way to go!

Yotehnter
07-01-2012, 4:30 PM
That's one way to start the new season. That hind quarter looks like it took most of your shot. You gonna braise that thing or what?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using TapatalkOh yeah braise it right in the trash.They are listed as small game and can't be left in the field but they are still a varmint.Farmers with little trees hate them they chew the bark off and the tree dies you can't have an orchard with to many of those running around.

Spyder
07-01-2012, 7:42 PM
Cottontail is tasty. You should definitely eat it. Stew, with taters and carrots.

skkeeter
07-01-2012, 9:07 PM
Cottontail is tasty. You should definitely eat it. Stew, with taters and carrots.

Lol, jacks def don't taste like cottontails!!

crackerman
07-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Weird eye tumor thingy, sketchy liver, trash it went :(. Damn I only have 8 more months right? :)

mif_slim
07-02-2012, 8:06 AM
Lol, jacks def don't taste like cottontails!!

Wait but their rabbits!! they should all taste the same! :p

rooster85
07-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Oh yeah braise it right in the trash.They are listed as small game and can't be left in the field but they are still a varmint.Farmers with little trees hate them they chew the bark off and the tree dies you can't have an orchard with to many of those running around.

My dogs love them. Some people eat them though. When i was a kid my cousin and i would go rabbit hunting every year on easter. Those rabbits we'd cook and eat just to piss off our family. lol