PDA

View Full Version : single shot lowers for AR

donw
06-30-2012, 11:53 AM
has anyone made, or is working on, a single shot or bolt action conversion for existing AR lowers?

i suspect the legislature will pass SB 249 and i'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to have my lowers converted to a single shot. :confused:

i don't have a "Thing" about having to have semi-auto, but i do like the AR platform...the pistol grip and A2/3 sights, etc so...if kaliphornia outlaws the BB, could i/we have a 'conversion' to single shot or even magazine fed bolt action with our current BB AR lowers?

i would think a conversion to single shot would be easy by simply blocking the magazine well (Permanently, of course to pacify the legislature) leave the BHO feature and have a spring loaded, one round permanent mag...

i know at one time DPMS made a single shot, but no longer.

dumb idea? maybe...but if the state does outlaw it, i have no intention of surrendering or destroying my, LEGALLY purchased and owned, AR...i have too much time and $$$$$ in it to simply let them take it!

TheThousands
06-30-2012, 12:08 PM
or make them featureless?

Peter.Steele
06-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Remove the gas tube and plug the port in your gas block and you've got an instant straight-pull bolt action rifle.

guitar-nut
06-30-2012, 1:41 PM
or make them featureless?

+1 to that. Not sure why everyone is panicking when you can just go featureless.

donw
06-30-2012, 2:43 PM
Remove the gas tube and plug the port in your gas block and you've got an instant straight-pull bolt action rifle.

wow! i never thought about that! i wonder if the DOJ/LE would buy it if a no port gas block were installed?i wonder if they would demand it be welded/pinned or 'permanently' attached to the barrel?

i could weld the gas port in the gas block of the front sight as it's pinned on?

a five/ten round mag with a straight pull, BA action, sounds like a good alternative

i never thought about going "Featureless" either; but the pistol grip is one of the features that i like about the AR platform.

i'm checking this stuff out just in case it (SB249) is passed and put into law.

MrPlink
06-30-2012, 2:45 PM
i suspect the legislature will pass SB 249

thats the spirit!
:rolleyes:

TKM
06-30-2012, 2:54 PM
I have one registered as a 50BMG.

The Gleam
06-30-2012, 3:06 PM
i suspect the legislature will pass SB 249

It has a ways to go before that happens, and I suspect it won't pass. No reason to be so submissive yet. :rolleyes:

Mongoblack23
06-30-2012, 3:09 PM
+1 to that. Not sure why everyone is panicking when you can just go featureless.

because its further infringing on our rights. Thats why! the fixed mag law is BS anyway, further banning is just complete and utter BULL. :mad:

repubconserv
06-30-2012, 3:19 PM
while the bill is stupid and dangerous, I would not really worry about existing rifles (that is if/when CGF says you need to do something with it)

donw
07-01-2012, 8:28 AM
while the bill is stupid and dangerous, I would not really worry about existing rifles (that is if/when CGF says you need to do something with it)

from what i read, the existing proposal ends with "Confiscation without compensation".

i will take a torch to the lowers before surrendering them to the state.

if i can LEGALLY reconfigure it to keep it, i would like to have an alternative in place, IF it does pass; if i can LEGALLY remove the gas tube and block the gas port...i'll do that...IF it passes.

it's sad what we've allowed to happen...:(

tuna quesadilla
07-01-2012, 1:50 PM
They better bring some of their boys cuz I'm not giving up without a fight. If they come to take my gun they'll be no better than the Taliban in my book and I'll show 'em how I treat Taliban.

/End Threat

No you won't.

AfghanVetOrcutt
07-01-2012, 3:18 PM
Grow up.

Capybara
07-01-2012, 3:23 PM
Very few people are willing to give up their lifestyle to keep their guns. A lot of shooters say they will and a few probably will, but the majority will not because making a stand would impact their family, kids, job, lifestyle.

If you are young, single and crazy and have a death wish, maybe but most will roll over because they can't throw it all away to prove a point. Sad, but true.

repubconserv
07-01-2012, 3:41 PM
Very few people are willing to give up their lifestyle to keep their guns. A lot of shooters say they will and a few probably will, but the majority will not because making a stand would impact their family, kids, job, lifestyle.

If you are young, single and crazy and have a death wish, maybe but most will roll over because they can't throw it all away to prove a point. Sad, but true.

I think this is true. Only a direct threat to one's livelihood, family and rights, will get any sizable number of people to revolt. That is why things are going gradually

Perhaps there will be a great number of people though who try and hide their guns (waiting for "that day" when the time is right).... again though, once they have hidden their guns, the time is probably too late. Too many would have already given up their guns

Capybara
07-01-2012, 5:06 PM
I know, hypothetically, I would hide some guns but you wouldn't be able to practice with said restricted guns and as they restrict guns, they will constrict ammo availability as well. So then guns or certain guns will only really be useful for a SHTF scenario, fair enough, but it will make owning them more of a burden than an enjoyment. For those of you who say, "learn to reload", what about primers and powder? If they restrict ammo, they will restrict those as well.

For those of you who say you will destroy them rather than give them up to the government, if you do give them up to the government, that's what they are going to do with them so what's the difference, you destroy them or the government destroys them?

When you come right down too it, we had all better get off of our collective asses and fight this and the rest of the California fight because if we lose, we will be in the same position as Australia and the UK, what choice will we have? Give them up, fight and be killed or fight and be captured and be thrown in prison. Talk about a lose x 3 proposition. The clock is ticking as far as California, it is up to us to see if we can put our divisions aside and execute our political, educational and PR strategies. If we don't do it well, we will lose it all.