PDA

View Full Version : Spikeís ST-T2 heavy buffer

exp0zure
06-30-2012, 12:12 AM
Hey guys, a couple questions: 1. Does the heavy buffer make a noticeable difference? (for those who own one) 2. Thoughts on the Spikeís ST-T2?

On sale at primary arms right meow: https://www.primaryarms.com/SPIKE_S_STT2_TUNGSTEN_HEAVY_BUFFER_p/sla00t2.htm?utm_source=7-12+Fourth+of+July&utm_campaign=7-12+July+4th&utm_medium=socialshare

Also hereís a link to the other stuff on sale:

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Fourth-of-July-Super-Savings-from-Primary-Arms.html?soid=1107310278626&aid=l5m0etXLAis

Thanks!

send it_hit
06-30-2012, 1:27 AM
FWIW: i used it in my 6.8 build and it was flawless. i switched to a 5.56 upper and it has a hard time with .223. 5.56 was OK though. Kinda just depends on what you're going to shoot.

That said, if you're interested in a barely used ST-T2 let me know via PM :)

Edit: that one from primary arms is a great price.

Jwind
06-30-2012, 1:52 AM
I have one because I was going with a carbine stock with a rifle length gas system. But then I dropped plans for an ar-15 and started a lr-308 build. Its now sitting in my .22lr upper.

I did let a friend borrow the buffer for his setup and was told it had less noise, and reduced felt recoil.

Yerman
06-30-2012, 2:57 AM
I have one of these in my AR. I think the PWC FFC556 I put on my AR helped a bit more than this buffer but the two combined make a big difference.

Long Rifle
06-30-2012, 4:46 AM
I use one on a 20" upper. I thought it might be too heavy for that setup, but I've never had any problems using several varying loads. It really does a good job of changing felt recoil. Not necessarily reducing it, but more like dulls a previously sharp recoil impulse. I like it so much I want to get another one for my 16" midlength. :)

SocomM4
06-30-2012, 7:04 AM
Works great.

Agent 0range
06-30-2012, 8:05 AM
Never had a problem with it in my mid length.

Cactus_Tim
06-30-2012, 8:14 AM
The ST-T2 is the only buffer I've had in my 16" mid-length build. It has performed flawlessly with .223 ammo since the day I assembled it.

I think it has a smoother, quieter recoil, but I'll have to try both my rifles side by side to be sure. The other has an H buffer and is a 16" carbine.

scotty99
06-30-2012, 9:28 AM
I have two of them and they work great. This is literally the product that put Spikes in business.

exp0zure
06-30-2012, 11:11 AM
FWIW: i used it in my 6.8 build and it was flawless. i switched to a 5.56 upper and it has a hard time with .223. 5.56 was OK though. Kinda just depends on what you're going to shoot.

That said, if you're interested in a barely used ST-T2 let me know via PM :)

Edit: that one from primary arms is a great price.

What do you mean it has a hard time with .223? Is it because itís a 55 vs 62 grain?

Thanks everyone for the input BTW. I will most likely get one from my buddy to has a spare one.

BHPFan
06-30-2012, 4:04 PM
In comparison with Std buffer, I could tell the difference in recoil. I shoot off a M4 style upper (carbine) and the recoil is not as sharp with the heavier ST-T2 buffer. Reliability issues with it? none. I thought that you needed the higher pressure 5.56 to be able cycle reliably using the ST-T2 buffer, but I've been able shoot 500 rds of pmc .223 without problems and with the bolt always locking back on empty mag.

exp0zure
07-02-2012, 11:20 AM
In comparison with Std buffer, I could tell the difference in recoil. I shoot off a M4 style upper (carbine) and the recoil is not as sharp with the heavier ST-T2 buffer. Reliability issues with it? none. I thought that you needed the higher pressure 5.56 to be able cycle reliably using the ST-T2 buffer, but I've been able shoot 500 rds of pmc .223 without problems and with the bolt always locking back on empty mag.

Thanks for he heads up!

ir0nclash86
07-02-2012, 11:37 AM
i just picked the ST-T2 a couple of weeks ago and love it. I was using the Walmart bulk 100 rd value pack 223 55gr. ammo and it cycled perfectly. I was usng a carbine gas system with 16 inch barrel.

mike22ca
07-02-2012, 4:37 PM
I run one in a 18" rifle length gas 223/556 upper with no problems. Between the surefire break and the buffer its extremely light recoil

DeCloaK
07-02-2012, 10:22 PM
I have one on my Beowulf and I think it helps with recoil. Definitely worth the money IMO.

sd_shooter
07-02-2012, 10:52 PM
BCM 16" Mid length, used mostly Wolf 223 55gr, the ST2 buffer has been reliable.

problemchild
07-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Got the st-t2 and REMOVED it. Does absolutely nothing for my gun or me. Weighs .10oz more than an H buffer which costs 25 less.

Problems with Heavy buffers:

1.) More reciprocating mass
2.) More RM more recoil
3.) More recoil = bad
4.) More recoil less target hits less accurate.

I removed the ST-t2 and bought a standard buffer and installed a JP adj gas block and de-tuned the gas. Less gas less power to the RM. Less power to the RM less recoil=good.

Now my rifle shoots perfect with NO malfunctions of any kind and has the recoil of a 10-22. I can empty entire magazines as fast as I can center mass in small groups.

Next purchase will be a JP low mass BC so my gun has the recoil of a BB gun.

If you have to have a buffer with magic pixie dust inside buy some tungsten powder online, punch the roll pin from your stock buffer and fill away. Magic Voodoo need not apply!

exp0zure
07-05-2012, 2:41 PM
Got the st-t2 and REMOVED it. Does absolutely nothing for my gun or me. Weighs .10oz more than an H buffer which costs 25 less.

Problems with Heavy buffers:

1.) More reciprocating mass
2.) More RM more recoil
3.) More recoil = bad
4.) More recoil less target hits less accurate.

I removed the ST-t2 and bought a standard buffer and installed a JP adj gas block and de-tuned the gas. Less gas less power to the RM. Less power to the RM less recoil=good.

Now my rifle shoots perfect with NO malfunctions of any kind and has the recoil of a 10-22. I can empty entire magazines as fast as I can center mass in small groups.

Next purchase will be a JP low mass BC so my gun has the recoil of a BB gun.

If you have to have a buffer with magic pixie dust inside buy some tungsten powder online, punch the roll pin from your stock buffer and fill away. Magic Voodoo need not apply!

Thatís pretty cool! That would a pretty sweet add-on for a new build.