PDA

View Full Version : MG34/MG42 in California

pigncat
06-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Does anyone legally own a MG34 or MG42(M53) here in California? What modification is neccessary in order to make it CA compliance? I would really like to add this friearm to my collection if possible.

MrPlink
06-29-2012, 11:03 PM
No different than anything else. Read the flow chart link

SactoPlinker
06-29-2012, 11:11 PM
make sure its not full auto for one (duh i know) and make sure it never has more than 10 rounds on a belt and your golden.

Josh3239
06-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Put a "webbing"/featureless wrap around the grip. Easy to do with kydex or get creative.

pigncat
06-30-2012, 12:11 AM
The wrap is what I am thinking, sounds like the simplest way.

raiders1
06-30-2012, 8:25 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=139700&d=1331763904

Did this!:rolleyes:

scotty99
06-30-2012, 9:23 AM
Talk to Michael at EBR Works. If it can be done, he will know how.

pigncat
07-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Hi Raider1, very nice! Is the wrap permanently attached to the grip?

guitar-nut
07-01-2012, 1:48 AM
Have any companies ever made semi-auto MG34/42s for the civilian market? Or are these weapons one of those things restricted to being a project best tackled by veteran builders? Just curious, as I would love to have one someday; I've been a big fan ever since I was a kid.

Edit: just searched and found some companies selling semi-auto parts for them and saw one Yugo semi-auto copy for sale. So I suppose it can be done, I'd love to see a featureless MG build!

raiders1
07-01-2012, 9:54 AM
Hi Raider1, very nice! Is the wrap permanently attached to the grip?

it utilizes the screws on the grip. Its pinched between the grip and the grip panel. thin piece of carbon fiber. very strong ,light, and thin.

timdps
07-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Commercial builds
TNW builds semi-auto MG34s. Wise Lite Arms used to build semi Yugo M53s (straight copy of MG42 less the AA sight mount). BRP used to build semi MG42s, but now only appears to sell build parts. Project Guns has rebuilt MG34 receivers to semi auto configuration for use with the TNW semi auto parts, but the wait is long.

Making it legal for CA
Oddly enough, the biggest issue for these guns in CA is the belts. The are considered high capacity magazines in CA, so unless you owned them before 1/1/2000, they are legally unavailable.

Henderson Defense used to do a bullet button conversion of the top covers for the Wise Lite M53, but this is a limited solution as it limits you to 10 round belts.

The best way to go is featureless with a grip wrap on the grip and modifying the flash hider so that it no longer functions as a flash hider. I had a cone with a slightly oversized bore (10mm) machined and then welded it into the flash hider.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/timdps/Featureless/cone2.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/timdps/Featureless/cone1.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/timdps/Featureless/M53flashhider.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/timdps/Featureless/M53a.jpg

Tim

Capybara
07-01-2012, 2:03 PM
That is exactly what has held me off of a 1919, who wants to be limited to ten round belts, not worth it.

pigncat
07-01-2012, 9:39 PM
I've haeard that you could drill a few holes on the flash hider to make it non-functional. TNW sells a California version of the MG34 with a modified trigger assembly.

pigncat
07-01-2012, 9:44 PM
Timdps, love the modification of the flash hider. Do you have to cut the belt into 10-rd sections?

Lagduf
07-01-2012, 9:53 PM
That is exactly what has held me off of a 1919, who wants to be limited to ten round belts, not worth it.

1919a4 is a featureless gun so if you actually had some belts prior to large capacity ban you'd be good to go. I know quite a few guys on this forum have belts.

I'd still get a 1919 even if I was limited to 10 rounds. You'd get really good at loading it :D

Plus more incentive to shoot out of state, but more importantly: help to get our laws changed.

timdps
07-02-2012, 5:09 PM
Timdps, love the modification of the flash hider. Do you have to cut the belt into 10-rd sections?

Thanks.
Re belts, I have been collecting MG related stuff since the '80s, so belts, drums and magazines are not a problem.

Probably the best way to do 10 round belts is have someone out of state break two 50 round belts down into 10 round segments before shipping them to you. Once you have them break three of the ten rounders down so that you have seven four round belts. Then grind the ears holding the rounds of the four round belts until they won't hold rounds any more. Then attach the seven x four round leaders to the seven remaining ten rounders giving you seven belts with leaders.

You need at least three round leaders (four is better) to be able to grab the belt after closing the top cover so you can pull the first round into the correct position for loading.

timdps
07-02-2012, 5:12 PM
Which model wrap did you use for the grip stick? I made mine without the pistol grip well before the wrap concept came into being and now I am thinking of making another lower and using a wrap. My existing lower uses a FAL fcg the next lower will be a AR fcg. As for the flash hider cone it can be sleeved as shown or just cut off as the boosters are cheap. It is also possible to use spade grips which can be made with an extra buffer and a little fabrication work.

My grip wrap is by Solar Tactical.

Yes you could indeed cut off the flash hider cone. I am using the rifle for WWII reenacting so it needs to look original.