PDA

View Full Version : Making a short AK barrel legal

Seaweed02
06-29-2012, 9:26 PM
I just won an Arsenal SA 93 on GunBroker.com. The discription states that the barrel is 15 and 3/4 inches long, and I would like to know what I can do to make it a 16" barrel and therefore legal in California. Any ideas? Will threading the muzzle and installing a flash hider do the trick?

Carl.

chead
06-29-2012, 9:34 PM
Unless they cut it, they must've measured it wrong. In any case, they're not going to just ship out an NFA item from a Gunbroker auction.

But if it's true, and for whatever reason they do sent it out, you can have a muzzle device welded to the barrel.

PEZHEAD265
06-30-2012, 4:06 AM
I belive it was measured wrong also it is a post ban AK that never had a muzzle device.The true way to measure the barrel is to stick a dowel or cleaning rod down the barrel intil it stops at the bolt facemark it at the crown and measure.Easy way to explain is think of a single shot shotgun and the barrel is measured from the receiver to the end of the barrel.The receiver is the bolt face where the firing pin is and the shell is inside the barrel flush with the receiver.The length is measured likr that.Google the way to measure a rifle barrel and you will get the same results, GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND.

Seaweed02
06-30-2012, 9:08 AM
I hope that they just measured wrong, and that is probably the case since other people here in CA own that same model rifle and don't have anything affixed to lengthen the barrel. So the stock barrel must be 16 inches. I tried to call them today but they are not open on the weekends. Can you believe that? It is a pawn shop and they are not open on Saturday. I'll call them on Monday.

But if it is short, will having the muzzle threaded and putting a slant brake or flash hider on going to be good enough to be legal?

Carl.

Seaweed02
06-30-2012, 9:24 AM
I did some investigating to see if there was another address, and came up with several for the same name pawn shop. So I called a couple until I found the one that had my SA 93. And they were open on Saturday. They said the first number I called was to the main office, and that there are various stores in different locations.

Anyway I had the guy measure the barrel from the inside after taking off the dust cover and the barrel measured 16 & 1/2 inches. So I am good to go there.

Thanks for everyone who looked, and responded both in the thread/post, and through PM's

This is a great forum. I hope I have enough experience some day to help someone out the way I have been helped.

Carl.